RRL Rodeo Ralph Lauren

narin

• 5 weeks later...

I am thoroughly disgusted at RRL, and myself for buying them. Long BEFORE I had read about the whacked out sizing, I had order three pair of raw, Japan-made, boot cut jeans from the Internet. Because I’m really out in the boondocks, some purchases takes months to show up. Like months and months.

The first pair fit great -- except for the waist band, which fit like it had just come from a wrong size: like four (4) full inches too big. But the rest of the jeans felt fabulous. The second pair came, and these fit entirely differently -- the thighs were really tight and the waist was still 2-3 inches too big. The third pair were “vintage” -- meaning faded -- and were cheap-ass denim. They fit tight to size, but otherwise passably okay. Yeeesh.

The quality of the first two raw denim, strictly from the standpoint of the denim, was fantastic. But, who can wear jeans that have a waistband 3-5 inches bigger than the measurement? One pair is marked as sanforized, the other as ring-spun. Neither shrank more than 2-3%. Boiling, oven baking and repeat tumble-drying doesn’t help. They're really great, unwearable jeans...

Screw ‘em. Never RRL again.

I’ll stick to Sugar Cane and Sammies.

I've heard so many people with that complaint, but I purchased my regular size (36) and they fit fine and I grabbed another pair (in 35 for a tighter fit) which also fit exactly as I expected. On the other hand, almost every pair of japanese jeans I've tried on (thinking warehouse, samurai and PBJ in particular, the stuff I tried on at BiG) has a way-too-small-waist compared to the rest of the cut. Most of the time they are all super baggy in the thighs and legs and fit in the waist or unbearably unbuttonably tight in the waist and just right everywhere else. I was so sad trying on the samurais in BiG because not one of them fit even remotely.

I've heard so many people with that complaint, but I purchased my regular size (36) and they fit fine and I grabbed another pair (in 35 for a tighter fit) which also fit exactly as I expected. On the other hand, almost every pair of japanese jeans I've tried on (thinking warehouse, samurai and PBJ in particular, the stuff I tried on at BiG) has a way-too-small-waist compared to the rest of the cut. Most of the time they are all super baggy in the thighs and legs and fit in the waist or unbearably unbuttonably tight in the waist and just right everywhere else. I was so sad trying on the samurais in BiG because not one of them fit even remotely.

you must have skinny legs, cause the PBJs run pretty tight in thigh area. samurais aren't quite as tight as PBJs in the legs, but close. it would really suck not being able to wear japanese made jeans, because they are so nice.

you must have skinny legs, cause the PBJs run pretty tight in thigh area. samurais aren't quite as tight as PBJs in the legs, but close. it would really suck not being able to wear japanese made jeans, because they are so nice.

I dont know that I have "skinny" legs per se, but I am one of the few guys I know in size 36/38 who can wear zathans...

My PBJ's are 006s which actually looked pretty silly in the store but when I tried on a one-wash model that gordon just happened to have in the store in the same size I really like the cut so I took home the raw pair and did a hot soak and so far have been very pleased with the results. I think part of the problem with these unsanforized jeans is that what-you-see-is-not-what-you-get when you're trying them on. The fit fundamentally changes when you get them wet that first time so even when trying them on you can't be sure of a good fit... I wish BiG carried more one-wash models

I dont know that I have "skinny" legs per se, but I am one of the few guys I know in size 36/38 who can wear zathans...

My PBJ's are 006s which actually looked pretty silly in the store but when I tried on a one-wash model that gordon just happened to have in the store in the same size I really like the cut so I took home the raw pair and did a hot soak and so far have been very pleased with the results. I think part of the problem with these unsanforized jeans is that what-you-see-is-not-what-you-get when you're trying them on. The fit fundamentally changes when you get them wet that first time so even when trying them on you can't be sure of a good fit... I wish BiG carried more one-wash models

yeah, i feel you on that one. i think there's other people on here that go for the one wash also, just for that reason. cool that gordon hooked you up.

more updates about fading please! I've worn mine for like 3 months straight now and only now am I getting the most MINIMAL of fading! Roman's pics are awesome, I like the way the denim kept its color but mine look like they are barely making any progress. Am I just being impatient? I had high hopes when I saw how well they keep their creases, even without starch. If the fading goes well, this will finally be my first pair that develops decent honeycombs.

Someone posted this picture very recently on Styleforum. It was mentioned that the pair belongs to someone on sf or SF but I'm not sure who exactly. This pair has had 12 washes in 12 months:

rrl1yeargn8.jpg

I hope the original owner can post more details about the jeans. They're definitely the nicest RRLs I've seen so far. :)

Here's some updated pics of mine. Haven't been wearing them much lately as I was never really 100% satisfied with the fit. Thighs are a little too loose for my tastes. Anyway, this is after a year or so of wear (a days a week) and around four washes.

rrl_front.jpgrrl_rear.jpg

just a quick question though, around what time did most of you guys find the first signs of fading begin to develop? (Assuming you are just doing regular daily wear and not intermittent or crazy skateboarding 10 hours a day) I feel like I worked a lot less on my 5EPs and my Okinawas with faster results. I'm so jealous of everyone who got the old styles without hideous threading designs. I bought last fall's model and I had to have the store take out the hideous stitching design below teh front pockets

just a quick question though, around what time did most of you guys find the first signs of fading begin to develop? (Assuming you are just doing regular daily wear and not intermittent or crazy skateboarding 10 hours a day) I feel like I worked a lot less on my 5EPs and my Okinawas with faster results. I'm so jealous of everyone who got the old styles without hideous threading designs. I bought last fall's model and I had to have the store take out the hideous stitching design below teh front pockets

i started seeing fading after 3 months... but i wore these every waking minute

DSCN1858Small.jpg

its been another month since then, and the fading is coming much faster. i've also been riding my bike more recently, which probably has alot to do with it.

I think it was about 3 or 4 months when I first started to see some fading. My RRL's started to look really good after 7 months. Just keep at it...they'll turn out great!

the mill they are working with is changing from what they have done in the past. they are going to be using denim from japan and everything is going to be done in the us from now on...

when is this change taking place (or has it already taken place), and which mill are they heading for now?

thanks for chiming in, blake :) always good to hear about some background about some of these brands.

I will try to let all of you know all the info about the mills in a couple of weeks. I travel to NYC and have a RRL appt on the 24th. I will try to get more backround info at that time and I will update all of you. If you would like please post a list of specific questions and I will do my best to get the answers.

Screw ‘em. Never RRL again.

I’ll stick to Sugar Cane and Sammies.

No offense, but did you actually read this thread before buying the RRL's? Did you see the multiple mentions about getting EXACT measurements before ordering? Sorry, bro, but I've got zero sympathy for you. I'm a 32 and made sure from the seller that the 29's I was buying actually measured out to 31.5." 5 months later they're still the best fitting jeans I've ever owned.

You might as well yell at APC while you're at it for that pair that was 3 sizes too big on you.

more updates about fading please! I've worn mine for like 3 months straight now and only now am I getting the most MINIMAL of fading! Roman's pics are awesome, I like the way the denim kept its color but mine look like they are barely making any progress. Am I just being impatient? I had high hopes when I saw how well they keep their creases, even without starch. If the fading goes well, this will finally be my first pair that develops decent honeycombs.

Minimal after 3 is right. Just sit tight. These have a mysterious time-released fade to them for some reason. I noticed little-to-no fading after 3 months except for some lighter wallet shading. Then magically around month 4 I started seeing fading around the creases, mostly crotch and ankles. I was sitting in the sun the other day and noticed that I was making them a lighter blue just by scratching with my nails (something I'd never been able to do before). I'll post pics in early Feb after their first date with Bonners.

Minimal after 3 is right. Just sit tight. These have a mysterious time-released fade to them for some reason. I noticed little-to-no fading after 3 months except for some lighter wallet shading. Then magically around month 4 I started seeing fading around the creases, mostly crotch and ankles. I was sitting in the sun the other day and noticed that I was making them a lighter blue just by scratching with my nails (something I'd never been able to do before). I'll post pics in early Feb after their first date with Bonners.

Excellent. And I'm assuming that you didn't wash them yet right? (meaning that this mysterious change in fading didn't happen after a wash)

No offense, but did you actually read this thread before buying the RRL's?

Yeah, right. No offense. But did you bother to read my post before you quote bits of it to act superior? What did my opening para say?

"I am thoroughly disgusted at RRL, and myself for buying them. Long
BEFORE
I had read about the whacked out sizing, I had order three pair of raw, Japan-made, boot cut jeans from the Internet. Because I’m really out in the boondocks, some purchases takes months to show up. Like months and months."

I even capitalized the "BEFORE" because I knew someone like you would be lurking. If you get the ones properly constructed, I've always said they are fantastic and great value. BUT, they also released a lot that were badly constructed. Not just mis-labeled. These are badly constructed. And, it was a whole batch of them.

SO. No offense, but read the thread yourself before you put on your airs.

I will try to let all of you know all the info about the mills in a couple of weeks. I travel to NYC and have a RRL appt on the 24th. I will try to get more backround info at that time and I will update all of you. If you would like please post a list of specific questions and I will do my best to get the answers.

just basic information...mills, factory location(? if they would disclose), a little explanation about why they have such problems with standardisation of sizes...