RRL Rodeo Ralph Lauren

narin

another round of rrl engineer boots, back from cobbler for instep stretching, now it's nice and snug, shall loosen up with wear

I thought it was only the brown engineers that were tight? either way glad they're sorted and ready to go. well done, 15 mins is too long to get a pair of boots on!

my brown rrl's are finally over the break in stage and getting comfy to wear now as well as easier to get on and off.

i've been feeding mine to help the leather soften and taking extra time putting them on so. i stop when they're half on so i guess my feet have been doing what rkusmant's cobbler did by stretching them out.

they're tough boots. i've found with mine that when they break in and the whole boot softens up they then get a lot easier to get on and off but i know that's a catch 22 when you can't get them on in the first place. i was lucky enough to be able to just about squeeze into mine so i could get on with breaking them in. i think i've mentioned this before that i had a pair of red wing 2268's once that were exactly the same to get on and off as these and once broke in were okay but they took some breaking in!

They look were nice.

What did you use for leather treatment?

And did you use a brown or black shoe cream? They look quite a bit darker than in the original state.

I also found that they're getting a bit more supple now. But still, not to have an agonizing time pulling them off I ordered one of these devices. It seems they're called a boots jack:

stiefelknecht.jpg

A bit later I saw that there are actually some cool vintage ones. But I'm not sure where you can get them:

vtgbootsjack1.jpg

vtgbootsjack2.jpg

Saw those pics here: http://specscolumn.blogspot.de/2012/03/boots-jack.html

Edited by indigoeagle

i've used mink oil and some leather balm that really worked well. the colour change is mostly my camera as i pretty much only fed the area around the ankle.

i have one of those lee boot pulls in your picture. i use it on all my boots but it's essential with these. i bought it about 8 years ago on ebay for next to nothing. i think it's made in the 70's judging from the lee logo.

Man, Im all over trying to find a good BLACK denim and I keep coming back to the RRLs. Anyone have any clue on them? As far as if theyre one wash or any fit pics?

Im just slightly put off that what I have seen, is the "one wash" stuff.

just stopping in with some fit pics of the low straights now that they've settled some (and since most pics posted are of jeans laying on the ground). haven't worn them in a while since i got some 3 sixteens but these are coming back out for the next few weeks at least.

color's pretty accurate. had to adjust exposure a bit to compensate for iphone

0d318b2f.jpg

705c9071.jpg

had this same jcrew hoodie that i wore the snot out of . . . i grew out of it a while ago and have no idea where it is any more . . .

^^^ all the rrl engineers looking great. Out of interest how tall are you guys? i'm 6' 1" so actually prefer a shorter heal on my boots.. the heal looks pretty high on the rrl compared to the MF road champs.

how did you guys size the rrl engineer boots. i am 8E for indy and 875, will fit in a redwing 8d too, wondering if a 8 will fit me. thanks.

If its the julian made black ones, an 8 should work. You might want to size up if its the brown ones. Not sure on the sizing of the new ones

I love my RRL's. After a mishap with 3sixteen, I returned them and decided to splurge on the RRL slim black selvedge. I downsized to a 32, coming from a 33-34. I was a little turned off being that they are a one-wash denim, but said fuck it and went with them.

7062890635_b80799fd99_z.jpg

Question for you engineer owners. Do you get a plunger like sound when you are walking in the boots? I a, guessing it is from the boot not flexing with my foot when I step. It is such a strange fit (as has been stated by other already) almost too tight to get on, and once on way too much heel slip. I have thought about adding another hole, but I don't know if this will improve the fit. My other pull ons, engineers and western boots are much looser at the ankle, but little heel slippage.

After so much hustling to get the funds for a pair in my size, I am not sure if I will keep them.

7086230267_47ca851f3c_z.jpg

7086230587_22019ca93a_z.jpg

yes, I experience this as well when wearing these (and i sized down half instead of most people sizing up here)

my guess is the leather still needs to mold around your feet.

Mine have become reasonably comfortable after about ten days' wear.

They're easy to put on, but I still need the boot jack to take them off.

I experienced the same as you: very difficult to put on, but once on quite roomy. I think the heel slippage comes with Engineers, Pecos and similar boots. It took me a bit to get used to, but I actually like it now.

Some thin leather/rubber insoles might help.

Edited by indigoeagle

Suggestions on insoles, in general? I have the Lone Wolf boots and experiencing the same heel slippage, but it goes away if I tighten the instep strap. The problem for me is that the heel cup of the insole seems to add a higher heel in general, putting my foot in a much more inclined position, not that comfortable..

Man! Those Engineers are super awesome!

Got some Low Straights. A lot slimmer than I normally wear, but they are growing on me.

(realized my sleeves messed up after I took the picture haha)

6945909688_3d75a2b29b.jpg

Edited by appfaff