superconfessional

I have done my fair share of complaining here. Summers over and I just finished my first day of what will hopefully be my last year of uni.

Anyways, I spent a lot of time this summer obsessing over what I wanted to work on, how I wanted to live , what I wanted to change and so on and so on. I was pretty depressed this summer on that failbot tip and I never took time to look at what I had actually accomplished over the past three months. I finally did today and you know, I'm pretty damn satisfied. Although I didn't really meet all of my goals, I did manage to meet what I now realize was most important.

And lowkey, I couldn't have done a lot of it without the help of a lot of you guys. Sometimes it takes a "stranger" to give that piece of advice from left field or that random info on random shit or that helping hand.

So I just want to say thanks. To the dudes who hit me up with words of encouragement. To the dudes who lended advice, feedback, schooled me, inspired me with works, fits and combos that I never would of thought of, the dudes who shared their stories/interests and the dudes that made me LOL every time I logged on. Muhfuckas who repped me and muhfuckas that negged me eerrrbody.

Much love. I wish you guys and gals a good semester/quarter/rest of the year if your not in school/whatever.

"Nooooo **** **"

i spend my morning listening to death cab for cutie.

it's the third day of school and i already don't want to go anymore.

no hate, but man the fuck up, seriously... either drop out or suck it up.

it's only pathetic because you were listening to death cab.

i did 2 years of school where i just couldn't bring myself to get out of bed.

I spent a lot of money on failing. I kept telling myself it would get better and it didn't until I dropped out.

If it's really that bad, drop out NOW and save tens of thousands of dollars (more if you consider that you could be working full time).

Figure out what you want to do and do something that will get you towards that goal. If you wanna be a graphic designer, buy Adobe Suite with the money you're saving and take classes on that, build a portfolio, and set yourself up to get into a good program for that. If you want to be a plumber, start applying for apprenticeships or see if there's art-school welding courses that will get you started.

Get out while the gettings good, and get back in when you've got shit sorted out.

Use my hindsight as foresight k?

I remember reading a quote from a designer saying that if you want to be a designer and you don't want to go to school (he was pretty opposed to art school) but obviously have some of the money to do so you could move away and put yourself in a position to gain some real world experience in an intern/apprentice type shit and learn that way.

I taught myself this stuff and it looks like I'll be getting a real job with it soon, but I still feel super lucky. It's a lot more than learning Adobe. That qualifies you to make forum signatures for people. I taught myself a lot of typography shit and a shit load of web stuff which ended up being the edge I needed. I could survive off my freelance web stuff, but I don't hustle hard enough as it is with it.

good luck bro.

edit: if we're talking about HS, then you looking like a lil bitch right now

Energy and passion are really great to have and get through long hours when you're young (18-24 conventional uni age.) Its a shame not to have the calm, clarity, and breadth of experience not to know what career to happily pursue until your mid-20's.

I think it's great go to college for something you can really learn and grow a bit in, even if you don't pursue that career path--and so long as you can pay it back. Don't 'experiment' too much w/ liberal arts BS or at the other end, some degree you don't give a shit about for the money 'someday.' Build knowledge and skill, even if you don't use it to make money. It counts for something, even if that's just clarity and productive passion in your aimless early 20's.

Know when to bail, though.

fuck, high school - when my biggest worry in life was 'am i going to wear an american nightmare or bane shirt today?'

I was willing to pay like 100 for an AE tee back in the day, or a Guns Up Tiffany dunk shirt. I was such a fucking tool. Still listen to a bit of straight edge music, but I'm so far from it it's kinda hilarious.

fuck, high school - when my biggest worry in life was 'am i going to wear an american nightmare or bane shirt today?'

Hahaha truuuue!

I would also like to add that I had another worry following that... It was, which pair of nudies am I wearing today? Jeeeezus.

All this talk about school has got me bummed. I'm just starting my gap year, watching everyone move back to start classes and I can't wait to continue my education. Not looking forward to a year of working a shit job with no friends around. I suppose its sort of the converse of what some kids are complaining about.

I think this applies to every single highschool kid that is complaining:

FUCK YOURSELF. HIGH SCHOOL IS THE EASIEST TIME OF YOUR LIFE AND I'D GO BACK IF I COULD. YOU'RE JUST NOT EMBRACING IT.

THIS.

High School > Undergrad > Postgrad >> Job aka Real Life.

High School is the greatest time ever. If you disagree you are just not doing it right. The amount you are required to learn is stupidly small (in a relative sense), and the study is hella easy. The holidays are long. Drugs are plentiful (and alcohol if you have some older friends). You have little responsibility except maybe for a casual job (casual). Everything shines with novelty.

Undergrad is fun because you're of legal age and will meet many like-minded and diverse people of the same age. Like highschool but exams mean something and you probably require more $$ to live. Some of the novelty of drugs/sex is lost.

Postgrad is like undergrad except that you need to think about a career and work damn hard towards that and supporting yourself.

Job/Real Life sucks. I actually really like my job but this seems to be the exception. And even then, I still have a lot of responsibility and have to work harder than I used to.

Honestly, I can't emphasise this enough. If you are not enjoying high school you need to take a step back, slap yourself, and re-evaluate your social circle and lifestyle choices. High school was a fucking blast. I keep trying to convince myself that 30 is the new 20, but let's be real, it's all downhill from 25.

^ so much truth. I just graduated in May and now have a job working at a shipping company doing export documentation from 8-5 monday through friday. the pay is nice but im just working for the fucking weekends while all my friends are still in college doing college shit. they all can't wait to be out but they don't know what the other side is really like. however, i have come to grasps with real life and it's not to bad. can buy plenty of jawnz now.