superconfessional

Got a job straight out of high school and still work there but decided to do some work on my Resume. Skills...Do I even have skills? Does being proficient in posting youtube videos on SUFU count?

I really like chicago. For all the complaining all the other california transplants did this year, I like snow, I like layering, and I like sailing in the bay in summertime.

i don't think californians value the awesomenesss of a sunny warm day as much as midwesterners do.

yeah.

i once had a guy who set up the event (our first show) lose all the crowd we gathered because he didn't write any material/have a setlist. his reasoning was that he wanted to keep it "fresh and spontaneous", but really, who the fuck wants to watch a couple of dudes fuck around on a drum set and a microphone? important to note that they weren't proficient in improvisation.

real life is not a grey goose commercial; planning is key for an event of any kind. sure, allow some room for spontaneity, but not having a plan b, c, and d just makes you look dumb.

on the real, if you could build up an intimate local fanbase you really could organize everything yourself while you're in the startup phase and have great results. i threw a few shows this way in a barn in a rural setting and they ended up being a success for what they were. have to get permission from people so the police don't show up for noise complaints but otherwise this is probably your best bet at this stage. it also gives you an heir of legitimacy as a host for the event instead of just an act. acquiring a proper PA can be a hassle, but through some networking you're bound to come across someone who will loan one to you for your cause. plenty of bands that started performing in this DIY fashion and went places.

just my two cents, perhaps you're past this phase so pls don't take it the wrong way

I'm always wary of mega-produced pop music, but you're right, this album is ill.

Sorry to hear about your first show, but don't feel too bad -- sounds like the first few shows I've played as well. Unprofessional sound crew, apathetic show organizers, and unpreparedness on my part always made for a terrible show. I think it's best to always be cordial with the sound dudes, since they're the ones that are gonna get you sounding good if possible, but also make it clear what your needs are for every show. At least in my experience, even the most apathetic of sound guys will show a bit more initiative if you show some professionalism. Not much you can do about passed out DJs tho, lol.

yo guys, thanks so much for input.

haploid we're past that phase as a collective and don't worry i'm not offended in any way. its just that we were unlucky enough that the dj was that irresponsible to pass out when it was his event. i mean i know its your birthday and all but still........

disk i guess, we all gotta start from some where and learn from it. hope the future shows will be good.

been getting next to no sleep for a long time now, like 3-4 hours / night average. Fell completely asleep at a stop light today, felt like I was out for ages, got honked at and woke up stressed. Gonna take the next few days off and try to get back on a realistic schedule, this isn't safe at all.

breaking up with girlfirends and hating work and only friend at work quit and out of money and have a sinus infection and can't even bend over to tie my shoes without getting a migraine and just kinda all around need to vent that shit

edit - thx scott and spaghetti (lettin shit go!!)

well if you were more specific maybe we could give you some advice

if it's about dj-ing, the answer is: MORE AIR HORNS

W.W.B.G.D.

what would based god do??? trust ur gut, not ur heart or ur dick. they are the liars of the organ world... believe in urself and everything will be OK

In this day and age its all about M & A's, but the real money is in entrepreneurial endeavors. I say fuck it and take the risk, I'm in the same boat, I just need capital to get things going.

It's about the biggest decision business related in my life. And I would be putting in my life savings and giving up my current job, but it's promising and my sream come true.

DO IT. Do it now while you are fairly free and unattached. You can always rebuild if it doesn't work, but it gets WAY harder to bounce back once you get older, get married, etc. You're smart enough to know if it's a solid idea or not. You got this.

scott, you've taken a lot of decisions and some risky ones in the past few years, it seems like it has done you well. if it works, why stop here ?