superconfessional

Still trying to get in a study abroad program. They want $27,000 for a whole year in Italy for my history and classical design studies.

i'm sorry but

what is the average salary for history and classical design studies majors?

that one year is enough to pay for my ENTIRE undergrad and then some

uni, the best 7 and half yeasr of my life

i'm gonna be paid something like 6.5 or 7k euro for my next year in sweden, studying some fundemental economics stuff that i hope are the same i studied this year.

i'm sorry but

I honestly don't know what I would be expecting to make.

i'm sorry but

uni, the best 7 and half yeasr of my life

I honestly don't know what I would be expecting to make.

I have a history degree and if your career path is similar to mine you will make $20/hour as a house painter

Yo XY how much do doctors make these days?

depends. i want to get into wilderness medicine (hahahahahahaha), but it's more likely i'm going into emergency med ($192k+ starting), or internal med ($150), but I'm planning on doing more admin work / getting an MBA afterwards. (this is all like a million years in the future when I'll be a trillion dollars in debt anyways)

I have some baller friends who co-started an HMO and pull mid 7-8 figures annually. One of my dad's friends flies around on a fucking helicopter.

I did too once, but that's because I fell off a mountain being a dumbass.

depends. i want to get into wilderness medicine (hahahahahahaha), but it's more likely i'm going into emergency med ($192k+ starting), or internal med ($150), but I'm planning on doing more admin work / getting an MBA afterwards. (this is all like a million years in the future when I'll be a trillion dollars in debt anyways)

I have some baller friends who co-started an HMO and pull mid 7-8 figures annually. One of my dad's friends flies around on a fucking helicopter.

I did too once, but that's because I fell off a mountain being a dumbass.

yeah dude, money def isn't in medicine. not with 250k in debt you're gonna accrue. it's pretty pathetic how shitty medicare is and they think it will work on a national level.

my friend, who wanted to be a doctor, told me that you dont get paid as a doctor until you're in your 30s

after med school you have to do residency and barely make anything. After you're done with your residency you can either work for a hospital or start your own practice

if you start your own practice you build up a clientele (people go to their preferred doctors and dont switch much) it limits your mobility. Meaning you cant move from LA to SF because then you will have to rebuild your clientele

Does this sound right? If so, shit sucks

my friend, who wanted to be a doctor, told me that you dont get paid as a doctor until you're in your 30s

after med school you have to do residency and barely make anything. After you're done with your residency you can either work for a hospital or start your own practice

if you start your own practice you build up a clientele (people go to their preferred doctors and dont switch much) it limits your mobility. Meaning you cant move from LA to SF because then you will have to rebuild your clientele

Does this sound right? If so, shit sucks

yep, this is pretty much how it is. both my parents are(/were) doctors. however, my mom was able to retire before 50, and my dad has his own business, so it worked out for them

re: doctors and money –

Yeah pretty much. While there's a good chance I'll pull six figures entering the field I want, I'm probably going to be working in disaster relief abroad / and/or working in a think tank to prevent future disasters / response, like docs w/o borders or STAR-TIDES kind of stuff, so no bisbims for me. Also, I'm going to be about 28/29 when I finish everything (fart around in my 20s concept). There's also an even better chance I might join the military as a doctor, seeing the world, but I dunno, a lot of time before I have to choose. And who cares, too much shit before then.

California is actually not too bad of a place to make money being a doctor, just got to find the right place. As for practices, those are hard to develop, but some friends of my parents figured out that buying said practices is a lot easier to make money from. Also re: people switching specialties – it's not unheard of or rare, but it does take a major paradigm shift to do so.

Superconfessional – fashion stopped being important awhile ago. I just like all the gossip and drama that happens on this board. :o

Are you in med school?

No doubt you'll clear 6 figures as basically any doctor. But will it cover the 250k + interest from loans? It will, but you won't be ballin' as you expect. as far as california, you'll easily make more elsewhere. will you make a living, yes. is your earning potential better elsewhere less competitive? yes. I know peds docs in corona clearing 500k. but do you want to live in corona? I actually just finished a family practice rotation in florida where the practice cleared 1 million a year. Ultimately it depends on how you hustle. Sadly, the way of the practice has dwindled and medical groups are far more attractive now. As far as switching specialties goes, yeah, it can happen. But you have to rematch. Meaning you have to convince a program to take you and you're up against kids that probably have better scores, etc. Choosing a residency is as much scores as it is a political game as you'll learn pre-med and medicine is in general. Know what you're getting into as a military doc. my old roommate is a navy guy. and it's true, you get loans paid off, and you get paid in school, but you will also owe that time back depending if you match military or civilian. Plus military match is a smaller pool. Just be wary as a military doc. Navy docs are marine docs. So don't think that you can't serve out in the warzone, because you very well could be.

there are a bunch of us in med school on this board....

^doctors have it good compared to lawyers. a JD is a piece of shit these days. 40% of graduating class at columbia law (# 4 law school in the country) is unemployed lol. it gets worse as you go down the rankings.

200k+ of soul crushing debt + no job = fucked.

Oh boy... that sounds worse than gloomy, downright dreadful!

Not even trying to hate. All the things I read about U.S. education and employment on superfuture (that real life anecdotal shiet) just scares me.

Had very sad news for medical students in my state (VIC) this year... basically none of the international medical students will be able to do internship here. No intership = no registration = no doctoring.

Most will have to go back their home country to practice medicine.

Some come from places where an Australian medical degree is not recognised, so they basically end up like unemployed law students. Worthless piece of paper and 300k+ of debt.

Sounds like pharmacy is better deal than medicine. You can goto a pretty cheap state school for it for 5 years, graduate with a tiny bit of debt and start at 160K doing the night shift at a Duane Reade/CVS.

^ Haha, true that - but pharmacy isn't as lucrative in Australia.

Dentistry is the way to go where I am (if you're after $$$$$$ and good hours) - one of my gf's colleagues is third year out of school, doing commission work, getting 300k this year (in Australia too.)