superconfessional

i don't know if i like my friends or not, we haven't hung out for a long time. we're all really disconnected from each other and i don't know if it's worth salvaging friendships 

This too.  Came back from school and just felt like a lot of my friends have different values  now and became really condescending about everything. A few of them just talk shit on people from high school and make fun of everyone and act like they're hot shit (they're studying business I don't know if this has anything to do with it but they're just really cocky now)

i am guilty for not being a better friend or proactive in a relationship

i think laziness trumps everything. i know people can be busy with work, or catching up with their personal time due to the former, but it is the holiday and i think reaching out to people at this time of the year is a good thing if anything to send out a holiday greeting and wish them well.

do your best. with the internet and social media, and texting, it cannot be that difficult to do. personally, i'll try not to linger. just do the deed.

Edited by gettoasty

Will definitely watch that in the morning, thanks dude.

The anxiety and depression have also made me feel extremely un-masculine. Does anyone else feel this way?  An overall lack of confidence/fear in situations and always feel like I'm going to mess up.  I feel like I'm moving towards getting rid of this so I can enjoy doing things and learning with less fear but as of now it's like I'm just trying to get through everything without doing something wrong or causing damage

what's the worst that can happen bro? you ain't gonna die

a gross oversimplification of the scenario I'm sure, but going through life being fearful of meaningless consequences is no way to live

as with everything just remember, it can always get worse so even a current bad situation may not be so horrible overall in the big picture. I know it's really hard to do, as I've been making a conscious effort to lately, but you really gotta look at things from the long term view. I'm in it for the long haul, fuck all this petty bullshit that doesn't really matter

I have had horrible anxiety/ocd for years - I tried everything short of medication, because it felt more like a last-resort type thing, and I was scared it wasn't going to work: I did therapy, huge diet changes, tons of vitamins, exercise, meditation, etc... I thought I had some actual medical problem because even though things sort of helped, I never really got better. 

I finally bit the bullet and started taking Cipralex about four months ago and it completely changed my life. I used to have insane depersonalization all the time, and I thought it was normal to constantly feel like that. 

I think if you're unable to function due to your anxiety and depression medication can be an incredible tool. If you're able to go day-to-day and it sucks, but isn't severely limiting your life then looking at other methods (especially exercise, diet and counselling) is a really good way to go. 

Edited by timber

I ended up taking it too.  I was at a point this summer where I literally shook before I did anything really. It definitely has helped along with therapy.  I'm still not great and have a lot of nerves about things but between the medication, therapy, and trying to make myself do something that 'scares' me every day it has gotten a lot better and I'm enjoying life a lot more.  I've kind of put myself into exposure therapy gradually and it has really helped the anxiety and helped me enjoy life again. I started by just trying to do small things daily that made me anxious like speaking in a lecture or whatever and hopefully I can work it to where I can do more physical type of things without being nervous.  I'm glad I started it too because I've forced myself to act more confident and put myself in situations before hand that I would not have done.

I still would feel really anxious doing anything sort of physical or like riding a motorcycle or something like that but hopefully I can keep trimming off the nerves.  Hopefully I can keep working on my self esteem through this process too 

not intended as a sob post but why are there so many fuckin cunt type dudes out there fucking up girls heads for the nice guys that actually want to have a decent relationship with these girls. im seeing a girl and she tells me the stories of her ex's. no fucking wonder shes mad about me.

don't get me wrong i got nothing against playaz or dudes that are out for a good time, same for girls. but there are a lot of dudes that cross the line multiple times and it has fucking serious effects on people, and these dudes just move on or ignore the girl when shit hits the fan. own up to your actions. subhuman infantile ego-inflated fuckwits.

Edited by jaac

i have had alot of sucicial thoughts lately, whats up with that? Funny thing, always used to consider myself as a stable person, but the last years its more up and down.

Not really anxious though. More tired of everything, fed up with life. Hopefully its a temporary thing. 

Edited by superBobo

i have had alot of sucicial thoughts lately, whats up with that? Funny thing, always used to consider myself as a stable person, but the last years its more up and down.

Not really anxious though. More tired of everything, fed up with life. Hopefully its a temporary thing. 

What is it about life that has made you fed up? You ever thought about moving on? If you are in one place and it isn't working, bounce around until you find somewhere that does. (of course this doesn't work if you are the problem) 

not intended as a sob post but why are there so many fuckin cunt type dudes out there fucking up girls heads for the nice guys that actually want to have a decent relationship with these girls. im seeing a girl and she tells me the stories of her ex's. no fucking wonder shes mad about me.

don't get me wrong i got nothing against playaz or dudes that are out for a good time, same for girls. but there are a lot of dudes that cross the line multiple times and it has fucking serious effects on people, and these dudes just move on or ignore the girl when shit hits the fan. own up to your actions. subhuman infantile ego-inflated fuckwits.

fedora jokes aside, this place has no shortage of those dudes, and lamentations like your own are a tasty treat for their egos

For what it's worth, I think most people have these thoughts from time to time, somewhat hard wired in to our minds... 

My ex GF has a pretty "normal" life, mc mansion, phd hubby, kid, white picket fence... And she and her hubby still laugh about wanting to off themselves. They would never do it, they love life, seem really happy, yet these thoughts are part of their life. 

In my humble view of life, there is a lot of emotional hit's and misses in our minds, hardwired stuff which we can't control. Sometimes when you think something, best not to dwell on it and just laugh it off to a extent. 

Not to say that some people have real issues to deal with, and perhaps you are in need of help, but sometimes a cigar is just a cigar. 

Good luck. 

re: anxiety and depression - i am almost 27 and have had issues with both since i was 15 or so. its different for everyone, but the only things that have helped me are medication (anxiety) and therapy (depression). i stopped meds and therapy about 4 years ago but i still have regular issues with both - the reality is for most people things can get 'better' (or worse, unfortunately) but it will never go away entirely. keeping your mind busy on something (anything) helps a lot and reach out for help, even its on the internet, if things get too dark. there is always someone around to listen. i now work for a social services/mental health ngo and come across so many horrible things that people do to themselves and/or others because they did not get the help that they needed. i'm not sure what its like everywhere else, but in australia we need so much more resources and education in regards to mental health - recently there have been some great new government initiatives but still so much money is being put into bullshit like digging minerals out of the ground and managing hedge funds whilst huge amounts of the population are living in despair. i am worried in the next decade or two when everyone wakes the fuck up and all of the baby boomers have retired it will be too little, too late.

what's the worst that can happen bro? you ain't gonna die

a gross oversimplification of the scenario I'm sure, but going through life being fearful of meaningless consequences is no way to live

as with everything just remember, it can always get worse so even a current bad situation may not be so horrible overall in the big picture. I know it's really hard to do, as I've been making a conscious effort to lately, but you really gotta look at things from the long term view. I'm in it for the long haul, fuck all this petty bullshit that doesn't really matter

i don't want to start an argument, but this is where the issue of education comes up again. if you are clinically depressed or suicidal there is no 'long term view' - there is the current and the current often has no light at the end of the tunnel. 'you ain't going to die' - well, no shit but when you're in such a negative mindset your brain chemistry/mental state/etc doesn't allow you to see it that way and often dying/severe social withdrawal/getting high/self-harm (i.e escape) is a preferable outcome to facing a situation that is completely meaningless to most people but a mt. everest to the person in question.

Edited by conqueror

i don't want to start an argument, but this is where the issue of education comes up again. if you are clinically depressed or suicidal there is no 'long term view' - there is the current and the current often has no light at the end of the tunnel. 'you ain't going to die' - well, no shit but when you're in such a negative mindset your brain chemistry/mental state/etc doesn't allow you to see it that way and often dying/severe social withdrawal/getting high/self-harm (i.e escape) is a preferable outcome to facing a situation that is completely meaningless to most people but a mt. everest to the person in question.

no argument here, i was merely providing an alternative perspective from someone who admittedly hasn't [knowingly] suffered from any serious bouts of depressions. moreso offering my current outlook on tackling life.

re: suicide and depression,the only time i've remotely touched on that subject, was coming down on a horrible cocaine hangover. that drug fucks with me in almost unimaginable ways, just completely draining you and altering the way your mind work for a couple days afterward. i've never been so mentally drained before. not a fan.

just texted my ex, wtf? And I am in a relationship, which perhaps should be ended. Life decisions, dont like em.

Supposed to go to a dinner party tomorrow for new years, you know, small talk about peoples kids and work. What I really want to do is to listen to darkthrone and have like 10 + beers. Probably wont happen.

Edited by superBobo

^were u squeezing one out when you posted?

good convo on anxiety n depression here. a number of people close to me have been going through with these illnesses and it's almost impossible to relate to, which is sorta depressing in itself. on paper and on the surface they seem better than normal, but apparently it was just an act to maintain appearances. drugs have helped them with the anxiety a lot, but it was shit scary worrying about the side effects, especially after watching the film of the same name. I suspect the incidence rate is significantly higher in developed societies, but don't recall seeing the hard data anywhere. anyway, all of this makes me think about raising children in developing countries instead, where hopefully the taste of a simpler/harsher life can lay a stronger mental foundation.

edit: wired rated hyperbole & a half as one of the best comics for 2013...this particular one is on depression - http://hyperboleandahalf.blogspot.com.au/2013/05/depression-part-two.html

Edited by Quiver

re depression: last year i have been i a serious bout of depression (on and off for about the last 6 or 7 years without realizing it). i spent 2 months in a clinic and i guess i'm back to a point where i work as a human being (ty cipralex and therapy). for a person who is depressed there is no long term view because everything sucks - the most important thing is to be in the here an now and being able to see that even small steps matter to bring overall happiness and quality of life. reaching that point often takes a LOT of time and guidance through therapy and maybe medication.

if you are having suicidal thoughts and they are taking control of you day to day and you can't get rid of them you should definately speak to a professional about it. sentences like "in the end you won't kill yourself so why worry" are the worst thing you can do imo. that kind of mentality does nothing to lift such dark thoughts from the person who has to deal with them. the most important thing to realize about your situation is that you are not alone with these thoughts. everyone has them from time to time. but if they stick to you then you should defiantely look for professionals who will help you.

Edited by redX

I have a huge list of things I'm gonna eat once this shit is done and on top of that list is a big juicy burger.

a customer the other day invited me to lunch, can't because there's nothing on menu for me to eat. so she brings me back a soft cake roll with taro and says cos it's soft I can eat it. at least I didn't have to eat it in front of her. ended up giving it to another customer (who ironically, him and his biz partner went in giving her free food..she gets free food from everyone in neighborhood)

I haven't really been sleeping well/at all, getting pills just to calm

what can i say to a depressed friend? my friend is depresed and i really can't find any empathy for how he feels. i've never felt clinical depression and i feel like anything i say to him is just going to make things worse

I've been through some pretty powerful bouts of depression in the past 5-6 years, and there really is nothing anyone can say to make it feel better. Regardless, though, I know what helped (and still helps) me was just the company with close friends. So my advice is to just be there, even if you aren't talking. Trying to say you understand/reasoning never helps and, in my experience, would actually frustrate me more. To me, it felt like they were downplaying what I was going through, because when you're in that state you really feel so alone and vulnerable. I hope this gives you a little insight, and that your friends gets better soon.