superconfessional

Though I'm unemployed now (out of choice) and have bummed around the house all day, the boredom and monotony is still 100% better than my shitty job was. Got a whole year of this ahead of me, picked up my guitar again, booked a painting course and have hit up loads of london's finest galleries. Watch this space and see if I still feel the same way in a coupla months.

gl man. I about lost my mind when I was unemployed last summer. All the days kind of merge together and the concept of weekdays and weekends disappears. It's nice at first, but hard to enjoy because you don't really know what your next step is gonna be. And while you have all this new found free time, you don't have an income to do the more enjoyable things.

Do enjoy it while it lasts though!

I'm a bit late getting into the discussion but I also think exercise is a great way (one of the best) to combat stress and just to improve mood in general. I hurt my hip by doing something stupid while running and I haven't been able to for almost 4 weeks now. The pain is almost completely gone now but I'm still going to give it another week or so before I start running again. I've been able to lift weights in the mean time and though I enjoy it, I still feel anxious to get back to running.

gl man. I about lost my mind when I was unemployed last summer. All the days kind of merge together and the concept of weekdays and weekends disappears. It's nice at first, but hard to enjoy because you don't really know what your next step is gonna be. And while you have all this new found free time, you don't have an income to do the more enjoyable things.

Do enjoy it while it lasts though!

I was in a similar situation a few years ago. I was employed for part of it but was in a generally weird point in my life where I didn't really have much to do during the day. It was like the more free time I had, the less inclined I was to really make use of it. The boredom really fucking sucked.

see, my problem is i have too much work. I'm working more hours than i ever have there and thats coupled with so much other shit that needs to be done before the end of this month.

i am very grateful for an open schedule october.

I find myself being in love with the idea of something more than the actual thing itself a lot of the time. I work out these idealistic fantasies or views of what that thing is going to be, but am almost always disappointed when it doesn't live up to my expectations. Like acquiring the object, goal, whatever is the unsatisfying part.

i absolutely despise living with my cousin and her family. she is 19, yet her parents and grandparents still spoil the shit out of her. she's pretty much a dumb, shallow bitch who attends the equivalent of community college doing a major in hairstyling or makeup or some shit. and what's worst is that she always does these little passive aggressive things whenever she doesn't get exactly what she wants.

example: last night, her parents were making a big fuss out of her going out. after like an hour of arguments, this bitch goes to her room, slams the door, and starts playing some boy band pop shit at full volume. she apparently doesn't need any sleep, because she was still blasting her shit at 1AM in the morning. why she would do this when she knows her parents both have work, her grandparents are old and need their rest, and i have lecture first thing in the morning is beyond me.

another time, she started cussing me out and shit, calling me a freeloader (when i do pay rent and buy/prepare my own food) and trying to run me over in the driveway 'cause i wouldn't take the blame for a bottle of pharma-ketamine which her boyfriend left out in the open.

i honestly feel like her parents should have beat the shit out of her or starved as a young'in so she wouldn't act like she's entitled to every fucking thing.

Mexican Coke and an aged rum like Zacapa 23 or Barbancourt 15 will blow your minds. Tall glass, large ice (buy rock ice, don't use that shit from your freezer's ice maker) to the top first, fill a quarter to a third with rum and then top off with the Coke, skip any limes or lemons. Just straight Rum and Coke, tastes like ice cold cola candy, and this is where Mexican Coke finds its talents. You get a mix of all these different cane sugars and no processed sugars, so much drink synergy.

liking mexican coke and having mismatched expectation for it are not mutually exclusive

mexican rum & coke is the only rum & coke for me (kraken & mexicoke is fucking GOOD)~ also, look into getting one of those spherical ice molds--cools your drink faster, melts slower

Quick correction -- that's a common misconception re: ice. If ice is cooling your drink, it is diluting your drink at the same rate. It's how heat transfer works. There is no ice of any shape or size that can cool quickly, but melt slowly. Small/crushed ice cools a drink more quickly/effectively than large ice (think swizzle drinks). Large ice is less effective at cooling, but also melts more slowly (think old-fashioneds or other rocks drinks, which aren't meant to be ice-cold in the first place).

Starting to dislike my roommate. He sleeps so fucking much and his dirty clothes/boat shoes make the room smell terrible. Also, he never seems interested in holding a conversation which bothers the fuck out of me.

i read that making ice out of tonic water would lead to slow melting, is that false too?

in fairness, I read that on the back of a bottle of schnapps, sooooo :ph34r:

Tonic ice cubes would be gross unless you were drinking a tonic-based drink like a G+T - and even then, that's a lot of f'ing tonic... commercial tonic has a bunch of sugar in it too.

there's a ton of shit surrounding the round ice idea but american_hearts is right - pebbled ice has more surface area, more cooling, more dilution. The big ice balls are intended for whisky only really. In Japan (where the big round ice thing started) they use a one or a few large cubes in highballs and other mixed drinks. That's also because the large round ice is too big to fit into a highball glass, it's supposed to be the right size for an old-fashioned glass or a whisky tumbler.

I'm stealing this video from Charly, but watch our bartender friend carve an ice ball by hand:

Also, a true pro tip surrounding ice and cooling - cool the glass before you make a drink; that in itself will slow the melting of the ice far more. You should fill a clean empty glass to the top with medium sized rock ice and use a long cocktail spoon to spin the ice around the glass until the outside of the of the glass dews up with condensation and the glass gets very cold. You dump all that ice and the water that's come from the melted ice and then replenish the dry, cold glass with fresh ice, and build the drink as quickly as possible.

Quick correction -- that's a common misconception re: ice. If ice is cooling your drink, it is diluting your drink at the same rate. It's how heat transfer works. There is no ice of any shape or size that can cool quickly, but melt slowly. Small/crushed ice cools a drink more quickly/effectively than large ice (think swizzle drinks). Large ice is less effective at cooling, but also melts more slowly (think old-fashioneds or other rocks drinks, which aren't meant to be ice-cold in the first place).

the more you know! i guess it always seemed to cool faster to me since i also like to chill my glasses before serving~

also, that video is fucking awesome.

Edited by Denpatou

I am going through a large of amount of swings in emotions. I cannot get my depression under control and I feel all to often that everything is useless and futile. I think about anti-depressants sometimes, should I? Will this really help me in the end or will I grow a dependency? Why can't I come back to being right again? Ever since I lost my father 9 years ago, nothing has ever been the same. This lingering feeling of darkness where all is futile.