superconfessional

^ that's at an investment bank?

if so, it's not because they don't want free help, it's because they don't want you around

don't give up yet though, aim lower at boutiques and network

when something doesn't work out at first try again, if it still doesn't work out try harder and if it doesn't work out at all try something else

Trying to get into boutiques isn't exactly aiming lower. I think it's actually the better way to go. Boutiques may not always have the resources of the big banks, and they certainly don't have the out of the box training programs that the big banks have, but you will most likely learn more and be allowed more flexibility. You also have a better chance at making an impact on the firm and proving to be valuable to the firm.

@ohsnap-- investment firms expect you to be interested enough in the industry to have researched and somewhat figured out what you want to do within the industry. they want you to be able to talk about specifics in an interview and show that you've done enough of your own due diligence that they don't have to teach you everything. also, on a side note, be patient. do whatever is available for now, but if you're still interested in finance in the future, you know I've told you I'll take you on as an intern and show you the ropes once my firm is up and running.

@bbk/shufon - nah, this is not some super exclusive IB internship; this is an internship that most of my homies have done and personally recommend to me (dropping my name/resume to their bosses, etc.).

i personally don't think i'm cut out for ibanking/S&T, despite what other mentors say about my resume. damn well believe that i'm not giving up just yet just because some people say no to me a few times.

Edited by ohsnap

getting rejected for fucking unpaid internships is so soul-grinding, man.

i feel so fake whenever i'm in these interviews. most of the time, i have no clue what these dudes are saying. i wanna learn, but these banks are giving me no chance. free fucking help. what the fuck.

it's so discouraging, man. i try to stay positive and keep going, but i'm getting shot down at every turn. i don't like to read too much into things, but all signs point to a career not in finance.

finna not meet any expectations.

Honestly thats the way the cookie crumbles with ibanking. A couple of my buddies have been in ibanking a while now and the only ones that got employed by either major banks or decent boutiques are the ones with good numbers. High SATs, high college GPA, and a top 20-30 school with a finance background. Whats funny is most of my smart friends that got employed have never worked a day in their lives, and I think it really shows in our current employment fiasco. Companies are reporting that they'd rather hire or keep older people or employees over new employees, but I think that's because the young people they are hiring are worthless. It's all these kids I grew up with, who have rock solid numbers but no actual experience. However, I do feel thats a pretty big blanket statement, and obviously to get those kinds of numbers you have to have some drive. These banks also choose to hire these people because they think of them as an investment, and considering they attended private schools and got a good education, they believe the investment is a good value for the money (it is).

If I had any recommendations for you, its to be extremely passionate about working in banking. You probably heard this before, but act like you were born to bank. Know exactly what you want to do in 1, 3, and 5 years without even blinking, and be willing to work 80-100 hour weeks at any opportunity. Know the three different valuation methods in and out, and when you go out to lunch with somebody interviewing- make sure to know exactly what you are ordering without second guessing yourself or asking the waiter. ibankers want people who are decisive, can take charge, and are able to think on their feet. Every gesture and thing you do is being judged while you are interviewing, trust me. Good luck!

^agree with fycus.

experience is valued so much more. sure you may get in with your good stats but retention of positon maybe short lived.

my boss talks shit, literally, everyday about these fresh grads with their "impressive" resume but lack of drive, motivation, and experience. i work closely with my boss and 6 other colleagues in an independent wealth management firm. most of the time it is pretty chill to be honest and you'll be expected to followup on previous cases and simultaneously assist others/data entry/mundane shit. i am learning completely difference things from what i have in school (finance/statistics), school is good because it gives you that basis of understanding and in-depth knowledge), but you will not be expected to apply any of that until you get a license/certification/higher degree and are part of an analysis team/start making decisions that may increase and add growth to the company.

quite honestly, senior employees and managers cannot trust you to handle sensitive client cases, especially those with high net worth, unless you are licensed or have some background of understanding in the real industry, not textbook BS.

/kinda of ranting but not really.

and i am interning still unpaid, so i feel you^^

but work atmosphere and fellow employees make the days well

Edited by gettoasty

fuck dis banking talk.

had a great night, one of the best of my life. i'm so happy with life right now, I love LOVE my friends, and I couldn't ask for anything more. everything i've eever asked for is staring me in the face.i've been in some dark places this semester, but i truly appreciate all of my friends for helping me to be where i am right now. now to go fin dat booty call.

Edited by littlemike

hi, my name is pete and...

the majority of my female friends start out with me being friend-zoned by them. around this time last year i decided to tell one of my closest friends that i had more than friend feelings (ha) for her. i hyped myself up for it pretty big and did it one night. she told me she was, "caught off guard" and i thought to myself, i am in for an awkward car ride home. but, after some silence, she told me she had the same feelings. i, expecting nothing in return, was pretty damn pleased. there was a catch though, of course, she was leaving for south america for three months in the first week of february.

we kept it pretty cool until the new year and then, essentially, jumped right into a pretty damn serious relationship. knowing that we had six or seven weeks before she left, we both made an effort to make the relationship work smoothly.

having known a lot about each other before even dating, our relationship turned into us being how we were prior to the romantic relationship but with much, much more physical interaction. It was great. I was having the time of my life but at the same time, the future, as always, was extremely uncertain.

She would constantly ask me what we were going to "be" when she was in South America. I thought it was obvious, boyfriend and girlfriend. But to her, that didn't make any sense. She vocalized that her trip abroad was going to help her find herself, help her clear her head. To me, it seemed like the trip just confused her more.

But anyways, after a great, I thought, relationship over six weeks or whatever it was, it was time for her to leave. She left with uncertainty on communication. She wasn't going to be accessible via phone, Internet or signal flare for the majority of the trip, or so she told me.

The first email came two or three weeks into her trip. We corresponded as best we could with days to weeks between emails. At one point she had asked me to confirm my phone number for her. Her first call came a week or so later. She told me that she was having a fantastic time, talked to be about people I didn't know (typical for her) and more importantly, told me she missed me a lot.

We had never defined whether we were still in a romantic relationship or not before she left. That was, of course, a terrible thing to do. To me, she was still my girlfriend. I was taken. She might have been on another continent, but she was my girlfriend. To this day I don't know what she referred to me as or if she referred to me at all.

Communication between us got more stable and steady as she travelled through more touristy areas. We would talk, it seems like, every week with emails in between. But nearly three-fourths of the way through her trip, we hit a rough spot. I don't know what happened but our conversations started to become tiring and monotonous. Calls started to spread farther apart and emails began to thin and shorten.

It had gotten pretty clear, to both of us, that we were quickly losing steam. I was happy where we were at previous to our random speed bump, even with her so far away, and was excited to she her return in a few weeks. She, though, wasn't happy at all.

We ended up having a heat conversation over the phone about our status. To make things worse, the connection was terrible and in between her crying and my trying to figure out what was going on, there was incredibly deafening static. She suggested that we take a break. There was nothing for me to do other than agree. We weren't going to speak to each other until she came back and she had decided to push her return back nearly a month. To make things worse, I told her that she shouldn't expect me to talk to her when she got back and if we didn't get back together.

That really irritated her. The next day I received the beginnings of a very angry email. The rest of it came later in the day. She essentially told me to fuck off. I responded with an apology.

The next time we spoke was her birthday. Although I sent her a happy birthday email on the wrong day. She emailed me back a few days later with a thanks and that she'd speak to me when she'd get back.

The month or so we didn't speak was rough. My sister, who I am very close to, got married and moved across the country. The only things keeping me going were my parents and my needing to not fail my classes.

When she did come back, naively, I thought things were going to go back to how they had been before she left. Boy was I wrong. I was met with a stern 'we are not going back down that path' demeanor. And we didn't. Nothing happened between us other than awkward lunches and dinners. She pegged me (out of context, lol) as being passive aggressive all the time.

After a month and a half or two months, it was my turn to leave the country for some time. Before I left for Italy for six weeks, things between us got better. Not necessarily better physically, but better.

We communicated fairly often but then hit a hole. In fear of another blow out confrontation on the phone, I slowed down the communication, which was already feeling a bit one side. I had a grand time in Italy regardless.

Fresh off the plane in SFO, I turned my cellphone on and saw that she had texted me earlier in the day, "Call me whenever you've landed... I am so happy you're home today!" Expecting, again naively, more of a warmer welcome, I by an awkward lunch date. And general awkwardness all around afterwards.

She had been planning to spend the later forth of the year and the rest of next year/a lot of time out of the country since she had gotten back from South America. First it was going back to South America, then it was different places in Europe. Every time I saw her it was a different plan. I didn't think it would happen. But then she settled on Spain. She was going to be a nanny. First though, a relative's wedding in London and then off to Spain.

She settled on a date and everything, constantly reminding me that she didn't know when or if she would return to California. And a couple weeks before she left, awkwardness ceased. We began to become much more physical in our relationship.

When it came for her to leave, she left on a good note. Hopeful that we'd see each other in the summer when I return to Europe. She confessed to me that she believed she could go without seeing anyone else in California for years but me, less than a year. Tops. It felt good.

In London she wrote me all the time. She was lonely, irritated over small issues she didn't think would come up and this and that. But I was getting worn out. I got emails from her all the time and didn't know what to say to her. I wanted to cool down. She said she was over me and had been since our fight over the phone when she was in South America but I wasn't over her. I didn't say anything to her before she left because I felt guity.

There she was, a girl who had both caused me great pain but great pleasure, telling me she couldn't wait to see me in Europe and travel with me. Her spirits so high. I couldn't break that down. But I needed a break.

Over an email I told her that I needed a break and I needed time to get over her. I was expecting her to respond angrily but she didn't. She told me it was alright and to email her when I was ready.

I haven't spoken to her in three months. In the first few weeks I would check her Facebook to see how she was doing. She eventually made it to Spain and did get a job as a nanny. I don't know how, where or anything about it. And I am incredibly curious about it and about her. She was, pretty much, my best friend before we started dating. I knew so much about her. And now I know nothing.

I have no regrets but I wish things could have been done differently. I debate with myself nearly every night on if I should email her.

I've learned my lesson, though: never date your best friend because if it doesn't work you're most likely out of a girlfriend or boyfriend and a best friend.

/essay

Tl;dr: I dated my best friend, six-seven week relationship earlier this year, still dealing with the shit from it now.

i only read the first bit but i think the friend zone is a myth people make up to feel better about themselves. if you're "friend zoned" it means she isn't interested. the idea of having a chance before the friend zone is just she doesn't know you well enough to know that she doesn't want to sleep with you. so stop using that term, it makes you sound narcissistic like the only reason girls won't sleep with you isn't that they don't want to its that you somehow got misfiled somewhere in her brain.

i love my job, and especially my boss.

he's really like a big brother to me.

the jewish guy from the store next door was hitting on me and being a perv.

and he told him "you wanna fuck her? well don't"

there's also a machete in the backstore and he already used it...

Edited by sistersuzie

everyone i know seeemed to have had a really shitty saturday night

my closest female friend turned her back on me so i left to go home and who do i see on the bus at like 2am? an ex with her new du

my brother was caught in a cross fire shooting at a strip club, three black guys showed up and claimed the strippers were actually their bitches so they pulled out guns and started to shoot at dus across the room, my brother just had enought time to flip the table over and get down, his coworker was shot in the hip though

/essay

Tl;dr: I dated my best friend, six-seven week relationship earlier this year, still dealing with the shit from it now.

Delete her off the book and her number out of your phone. That relationship you have with her seems wild complicated for no reason. You're better off with somebody who lives at least 45 minutes from where you live. Theres mad fish in the sea and there is no reason you should be hung up on her. If she comes back, then thats cool but it would have to be on a permanent basis.

everyone i know seeemed to have had a really shitty saturday night

my closest female friend turned her back on me so i left to go home and who do i see on the bus at like 2am? an ex with her new du

my brother was caught in a cross fire shooting at a strip club, three black guys showed up and claimed the strippers were actually their bitches so they pulled out guns and started to shoot at dus across the room, my brother just had enought time to flip the table over and get down, his coworker was shot in the hip though

hahhaha where was that