superconfessional

word. xhtml is where it's at. flash is dead.

Sometimes I wish I could smack the Montreal marketing community (agency and client side) around to knock that into their heads. People are still winning mad awards here for all-Flash sites with completely counterintuitive navigation. I feel like I'm stuck in the past.

my clients are always like " i want a cool flash ( site, banner, etc)". aside from k-size (as opposed to say a static gif) there's no point and it's shit for SEO/SEM.

i also like doing html emails when clients want images in the top, which won't be seen in the preview panel so if images are blocked, the user gets no content. genius.

Sometimes I wish I could smack the entire local marketing community around and knock that into their heads. People are still winning mad awards here for all-Flash sites with completely counter intuitive navigation. It seems like most of them have barley heard of the concepts of accessibility or web standards.

my clients are always like " i want a cool flash ( site, banner, etc)". aside from k-size (as opposed to say a static gif) there's no point and it's shit for SEO/SEM.

i also like doing html emails when clients want images in the top, which won't be seen in the preview panel so if images are blocked, the user gets no content. genius.

when i started working at an IT firm last summer i was shocked at the emphasis they were putting on SEO. it's waaaaaaaay more important than many people make it out to be however i'm still way too lazy to do it.

Yeah, I've got a whole arsenal of arguments when clients tell me they want a cool all flash site. SEO is usually the one that tips them, but it never hurts to point out the long-term savings in maintaining a CMS-driven site vs. a Flash monstrosity, not to mention the ability for their users to bookmark, link to, share and print pages from their site.

when i started working at an IT firm last summer i was shocked at the emphasis they were putting on SEO. it's waaaaaaaay more important than many people make it out to be however i'm still way too lazy to do it.

It's also become one of those buzzwords where 90% of the "expert" consultants are clueless and are just running a scam on people who don't know any better. As if anyone can guarantee that you'll be the top organic result on Google for a common term.

And I don't even want to get started on the word of mouth marketing firms that have pitched some of my clients. Their methodology is to pay people to seed conversation about a product on message boards and blog comments. Shit is transparent, gets discovered and tarnishes the brand in the end.

joomla is good for quickie jobs and for really small clients too.

It's also become one of those buzzwords where 90% of the "expert" consultants are clueless and are just running a scam on people who don't know any better. As if anyone can guarantee that you'll be the top organic result on Google for a common term.

And I don't even want to get started on the word of mouth marketing firms that have pitched some of my clients. Their methodology is to pay people to seed conversation about a product on message boards and blog comments. Shit is transparent, gets discovered and tarnishes the brand in the end.

Yeah, I've got a whole arsenal of arguments when clients tell me they want a cool all flash site. SEO is usually the one that tips them, but it never hurts to point out the long-term savings in maintaining a CMS-driven site vs. a Flash monstrosity, not to mention the ability for their users to bookmark, link to, share and print pages from their site.
joomla is good for quickie jobs and for really small clients too.

its like this.

you guys arn't graphic designers so youre gonna make an ugly site anyway. why fuss about if the client wants dorky ass flash or not. Client's payin the bills boyyyy

its like this.

you guys arn't graphic designers so youre gonna make an ugly site anyway. why fuss about if the client wants dorky ass flash or not. Client's payin the bills boyyyy

because you benefit from doing a good job and flash pretty much doesn't allow you to do a good job

the only good implementation of flash are small web apps like the youtube player and stuff like that

i can see silverlight (dumbest name ever) working for slightly larger projects but i think i will gouge my eyes out if i see someone make a website that's 100% silverlight

oh and if youre not a graphic designer you can contract one i guess? a friend is paying 10k to have a web business made and the graphics/design guy is being subcontracted by the guys who are making the underlying stuff.

not really a confession, more of a rant but i don't really know where else to bring this...

thursday has become my new friday. so i went to a friends house nearby and drank my dick off. the important part here is, i returned home about 20 minutes ago to find 12 squad cars and at least 4 ambulances directly across the street from me. the police officers had 6 people in the back of just one of the five patty wagons on call. there were young drunken college students (a few of them friends of mine) pleading in tears from the back of the wagon to be allowed to walk back home a few blocks.

now, i realize that in most areas of the country this might be considered understandable, i mean south central ain't no joke i hear...especially if something went down beforehand that left someone dead/raped/dragged behind a pick up truck.

but really, this enitre cavalry of goons-in-uniform were there merely to break up a kegger with no more than 18 kids present. i know because i was just at the same house about an hour before it happened.

this is my 12th experience that might help prove that our police force might be a little over-staffed.

i really dont like looking at even a small 1/120th of our city's "enforcers" waste their time on a relatively innocent college house party. the distribution of justice in our city, at least, is left to the bored. that could potentially lead to a little civil unrest.