bcardfrontramphcd.jpg

Hey all,

Welcome to Rivet & Hide. We are a London based premium raw denim store starting life online with plans afoot for a bricks and mortar home in the future.

We offer free shipping worldwide and our UPS account will ensure a fast and reliable delivery around the world.

I have been a SuFu member for years sharing thoughts, ideas and countless questions about denim and clothes that are made with heart and soul. This inspired me to set up and finally bring Rivet & Hide to life.

Some of the brands will be familiar to you but part of the concept is to bring new and less well known denim producers into the sphere and we have worked hard to get that balance right.

It has been a lot of fun meeting many of the people behind the brands and seeing their skills at work. We have clocked up many miles visiting them around the world making new friends along the way. A shorter trip through the Welsh valleys to beautiful Cardigan Bay to meet the Hiut Denim guys was just as rewarding. A special thanks for all the help and support from Giles & Paula at Ironheart UK and Anders Helseth of Steel Feather.

We struck gold with a Union Special 43200g which was sourced from California. It’s in mint condition and dates back to 1950. Any hemming requirements can be consummately fulfilled.

We have measured all our stock individually. We have not relied on suppliers or anyone else’s measurements. Our HOW WE MEASURE guide is based on BiG (thank you) with the addition of a hip measurement.

We offer a 28 day returns policy with full refunds. Shipping included.

The launch brands are:

Railcar Fine Goods

Steel Feather

Flat Head

Real Japan Blues

Hiut denim co

Nudie jeans

Obbi Good Label.

As we go into the Autumn we will be adding to our launch stock including some more great shirts from The Flat Head’s Winter collection, and introducing you to a new Japanese brand.

We are planning a launch party hosted by our friends at Kaffeine, Great Titchfield Street, in Central London in the Autumn and will give you the heads up closer to the time. You will be more than welcome to join us.

Feel free to ask any questions here or contact us at [email protected] or [email protected]

http://rivetandhide.com/

CF030829_1-Copy.jpg

Edited by beatle

We 're especially proud to be Hiut Denim's first retailer. Their small workshop in Cardigan Bay, Wales is bringing manufacturing jobs back to the UK. They use Kuroki selvedge denim in 2 fits; slim and regular

Hiut Denim slim selvedge

CF030473a-1.jpg

CF030482a.jpg

We have a great selection of shirts for launch from the Real Japan Blues and The Flat Head.

Check out the website for more detailed photos

RJB NW109L Hound's Tooth Shirt Black/Burgundy

CF032826b.jpg

RJB NW109L Hound's Tooth Shirt Black

CF032870b.jpg

RJB CS201L chambray

CF032904b.jpg

The Flat Head HN-52W Heavy Nel shirts

CF032970b.jpg

CF033004b.jpg

Edited by Danny @ Rivet & Hide

You'll already be familiar with Steel Feather, designed by Anders Helseth, and made in Okayama.

This 21oz loomstate denim woven on a Toyoda shuttle loom unravels some great details after little wear.

The SF0121 jean in the photos below have been worn for just 15 days when the photo was taken.

The construction and details are superb with two-tone stitching, train-track split selvedge back pockets, embossed 2mm thick cowhide leather patch and a 1940s Conmar style zipper.

They are exclusive to Rivet & Hide.

CF032099b.jpg

CF032086b.jpg

Another first for us is being Railcar Fine Goods' first UK based retailer.

It has been a real pleasure working with Steven & his team from Arcadia.

Their Spikes X002 & X005 are both classic slim/straight fits using a 14.75oz and 12oz Cone Mills selvedge denim respectively.

Spikes X002 14.75oz jean

CF032217b.jpg

CF032229b.jpg

CF032240b.jpg

Spikes X005 12oz jean with The Flat Head Jacquard hoodie

CF030341b.jpg

The occasional headache, a healthy amount of stress and a lot of fun preceded the launch to Rivet & Hide.

The friendships we made along the way have been the most rewarding aspect to date no less so than with Jean-Luc who did the photography for the site. I wanted someone who loved denim and would capture the subtle nuances of each fabric. He also became my first customer and has been wearing his Railcar Spikes X002 jeans since the beginning of July.

He just bought us out of Steel Feathers 31w today so we can't wait to see what he does to those if this is anything to go by in such a short a period of time.

CF0335522b.jpg

RCBP.jpg

Earlier this year I finally found a Union Special 43200g that would be up for the job. It came from California. The first thing I noticed was the serial number 454 666 and prayed it would not be a devil to operate. I contacted Union Special in the US without delay and they confirmed that my machine was built in 1950. I'd love to discover more about its history but I'm pretty sure it worked bloody hard starting its life at the beginning of such an iconic decade for denim. I took it down to the Wimbledon Sewing Machine Company in south London to have it set up on a table with motor. It was like stepping back into that vintage decade of post-war Britain with its impressive collection of sewing machines from that same era. The elderly owner himself had an admirable contempt for the prohibitions of the modern age smoking a Havana in the shop as he surveyed my machine.

The guys who set it up for me were amazed at the great condition it is in. This week we chain stitched the 21oz Steel Feather denim on it and it worked like a dream.

_JLB6857b.jpg

_JLB6905b.jpg

I'll hopefully be able to make it to the launch party, any ideas whereabouts in London the shop is going to be?

Great. As I've mentioned I'll give the heads up as to the launch party date in plenty of time.

As for the shop location, I am considering different options at this stage. That said, the focus right now is on widening the range of products within each brand and introducing a new one from Japan.

Anders, the creator and owner of Steel Feather Jeans, has unique contacts with some of Japan's most highly respected denim artisans.

He wrote an interesting blog based on his own experiences of spending time with them in their workshops in Okayama:

http://rivetandhide.com/blog/cat/news/post/japanese-craftsmen-/

Hiut denim is Dave Hieatt from Howies fame right????

Yes, that's the man. He started making jeans in the Uk this year in his small factory in Cardigan Bay, Wales. They used to make jeans there in the 80s and 90s until so many manufacturing jobs got exported overseas. He and Claire, his wife, are determined to bring some of those jobs back to the UK. I think they're going to do very well.

Yes, that's the man. He started making jeans in the Uk this year in his small factory in Cardigan Bay, Wales. They used to make jeans there in the 80s and 90s until so many manufacturing jobs got exported overseas. He and Claire, his wife, are determined to bring some of those jobs back to the UK. I think they're going to do very well.

Yeah, thats totally cool, pre-export, and then pre-timberland howies were amazing. Even with timberland the jeans were great. Good to see he's keeping it homegrown again.

Additions to our range of The Flat Head Shirts coming soon

Full stock of The Flat Head denim shirt 7001w arriving soon along with their latest wabash work shirt 7012 and the flannel heavy Nel shirt HNW-68 also from the Winter 2012 collection.

We'll put the news out on Twitter as soon as they arrive and get the photos up ASAP.