Show us your leather

aleopold

Lovely piece from TheBlackGoat (thanks mate!):

scaled.php?server=821&filename=p8200134.jpg&res=medium

Horween Chromexcel horsebutt outshell, Wicket & Craig American-bridle inner, veg. tanned pigskin notes compartment lining.

scaled.php?server=193&filename=p8200137.jpg&res=medium

scaled.php?server=32&filename=p8200139.jpg&res=medium

Glows like fire under direct sun!

p8200127.jpg

Stitching is really neat...

scaled.php?server=14&filename=p8200072.jpg&res=medium

scaled.php?server=233&filename=p8200076.jpg&res=medium

And the burnish, just like my Angelos wallet, is remarkable:

scaled.php?server=585&filename=p8200118.jpg&res=medium

Whole lot of other pics and details here and here for leatherfreaks!

very nice! personally I would have liked it better with a raw inside instead of black though I think

^ I wanted to try out something new this time, with a bit more contrast between the outer and inner...as it turns out the American bridle Ray used provided a contrasting texture in terms of the growth of the grains as well.

My Angelos wallet had a raw saddle leather on the inner...and TBH, I found the natural inner/outer, put together, a little dry - which is why I dyed the accent pockets black.

p1250019u.jpg

p1250057.jpg

p2100011.jpg

scaled.php?server=191&filename=p8200157.jpg&res=medium

I guess in my past experiences, whilst a natural leather looks nice initially and with some darkening, IMO in the long run the grain damage doesn't sit well with the amount of growth change or tone darkening with age, as (other than the accents) the inner leather don't get exposure to as much moisture or oils to achieve a nice oxidated look - the balance is not quite right for me.

What I can't show you is the abrasion that the accent pockets sustained between the 2nd and 3rd pics above...some people like the scratched and worn out look, but I can't stand it if the colour tone isn't in balance.

But to each their own I guess :)

is that chromexcel the one with "pull-up" leather type?

nice wallet mike...i'm one of your loyal reader of your blog

EDITTED: ah it's stated in your blog, "it has the pull up abilities". I think i will be more interesting if you can show us that "famous" pull up characteristic :D

is that chromexcel the one with "pull-up" leather type?

nice wallet mike...i'm one of your loyal reader of your blog

EDITTED: ah it's stated in your blog, "it has the pull up abilities". I think i will be more interesting if you can show us that "famous" pull up characteristic :D

Thanks for reading lucaas!

Yep, I have another post in the works at the moment from a more in-use POV.

Just need to gather my thoughts.

The pull-up combined with the horse grain it is quite something :)

I have a bunch of pull-up cattlehide bits & pieces from jacket samples to scraps I've experimented on myself, and I have to say a good pull-up is the most apparent when you DIY (edit: because it takes time to do).

I think I have the basic procedure figured out now (for saddle/strap leather)...not 100% sure though, as I have not tried it on too many leathers yet.

Has anyone had experience with Ganzo leather wallets? They are made with bridle leather and Horween shell cordovan and look terrific. Found them on a Rakuten website through Google. Maybe I'm late to the party but it's the first I've seen them.

Not really sure that these fit in too well here, but not sure where else to post? A couple of things that I wanted to share...

First up is a kids (dress up) waistcoat. I understand that my father bought me this in an antique fair in the late 70's or early 80's in London. Going by the colour combo, details etc. I would assume this might date from 1920's-1940's. It has great sentimental value obviously these days, and spends most of it's life hanging on the wall, but my 2 year old daughter will most probably want to wear it at some point soon...

This is the front...you can see one of the pocket is hanging on by a few threads....most of the stitching on this is wearing out...

front.jpg

The back...this you can still just about see would have been patent at one point...now old and cracked..

back.jpg

detail of back/ front...

backd.jpg

button...

button.jpg

and this I love...you can see the original tone of the fringing where the dirt/ sun has not yet been able to discolour it...

fringing.jpg

and behind the pocket where the original off white leather is still intact

offwhite.jpg

The next is something I picked up...some goldtop leather motorcycle gloves. Obviously as you can see by modern standards that offer very little protection to hands, but they fit me perfectly, and almost feel like you aren't wearing any gloves at all...

top.jpg

topcomp.jpg

goldtop.jpg

insidehand.jpg

thumb.jpg

outsidehand.jpg

detail of the 'NEWEY' zipper

zipper.jpg

and in situ with 60's Everoak...

evgt.jpg

to those that have asked, the helmet is an Everoak Racemaster (much much smaller than the profile of a Davida, and - although it fits me like a glove - I would guess offers less protection than one as well. Does look cool though, and is technically still legal in the UK due to it having a British Standards Kite mark (such a design would never pass the current tests)

This is a wallet from the the Blackacre (TheBlackGoat on sufu). The outside is ravello shell cordovan and the inside is the same as the one that mike posted earlier. The grain on the black leather is really something, its quite textured. Ray's work is very high quality. The stitching, burnishing, materials selection, and design is top notch and he is great to work with.

IMG_3904.jpg

The ravello is a little lighter in real life, but I could not seem to get the color right with my camera.

IMG_3882-2.jpg

The stitching is sinew and Ray hand stitches all his products. He does a very good job in my opinion. The stitching is really clean and neat.

IMG_3879-2.jpg

Inside design.

IMG_3850.jpg

Ray gave me the cut of shell that has the Horween stamp on the back. It really adds a nice touch to the wallet in my opinion.

Also as an aside note, I have both the Angelo's shell cordovan wallet and Ray's, which uses Horween shell. The dye job and the leather itself seems much higher quality with Horween than with the French stuff that Angelo's uses. The Angelo's wallet cordovan seems to crack rather easily, which is not a great thing in a wallet, and the color seems rather plain and flat. I am not knocking Angelo's or trying to bring back that whole Angelo's quality thing that Kiya started, but this is my opinion on the two types of shell cordovan (not regarding craftsmanship in any way as Angelo's does a great job with burnishing, stitching, etc.).

IMG_5419.JPG

Ha, that's awesome!

Will have to find some pics of a local Aussie specialty for you - a key-fob made out of cane-toad head...

mikecc

mike, the last pic is NSFW, lol

lol...

Salt water croc is so expensive though. A raw strip sells for $150+.