Show us your leather

aleopold

It sums up what I have noticed here on Sufu. Groupthink, complemented by brand worshipers who will flag any criticism on sight.

Although Angelos vs Japanese leatherwork is indeed an apples vs oranges comparison, Kiya specifically addressed our gut feeling, that is: "Angelos looks impeccable and it's so much cheaper, why spend more?"

I appreciate Kiya's candid postings, I can only imagine how hard it can be as a seller and a enthusiast at the same time.

There's no denying the sufu hivemind's influence but to say Angelos must be everyone's choice because it's neat and cheap sounds inaccurate. I know if I had the money I'd custom-order my own dip-dyed rubber CCP purple cordo goat trifold just because I could.

But I picked an Angelos wallet because it seemed nice(and it is), and I wanted to put my own hands on something different.

Anyway hopefully all these pages will remind us to relax and that we're still just on the internet.

My Tochigi Leather wallet, handmade by a Japanese craftsman

It is a art:cool:.

But you know what? In the hands of a person who does not know how to care for saddle leather (it is not easy), or has a maintenance method different from my own, the wallet may very well look entirely different.

Here's mine at 3 months. This wallet has been sat on almost all of the time and been through a lot of sweat. Only a few applications of Obernaufs LP. Cleaned off the excess indigo once. Photos taken sunlight, notice how front of the wallet gets "burnished" from use.

I owned a RM wallet before and i must say the workmanship on the Angelos wallet is not lacking at all, considering everything about this wallet is done by hand, from cutting of leathers to sewing and burnishing.

Before:

IMG_0437.jpg?t=1312009786

After:

IMG_0856.jpg?t=1312008892

IMG_0864.jpg?t=1312008897

IMG_0872.jpg?t=1312008903

A few more images of the natural Gfeller moleskine cover with a bit more sun, daily use/carry and a coat of RM Williams Leather Conditioner. It's hard to show the slightly darker appearance as the lighting conditions between the two photo sessions were slightly different since I shot them outdoors w/natural light.

However, this image probably shows the slight difference in contrast the best. Note the tan line on the right side of the inside rear cover in the first image #1, compared to the one below it from the original series of photos #2.

Taken this week:

#1:

DSC_9101jsm.jpg

Original photos with about two hrs of sun.

#2:

DSC_9040cropj.jpg

The following images (#3 and #4) also taken this week:

#3:

DSC_9098jsm.jpg

#4:

DSC_9107jsm.jpg

One thing just occurred to me. If natural leather 'tans' like flesh, will the darkening effect (tan) fade over time just like a tan on human flesh?

is it me or is the machine stitching on that right edge too loose on the tension?

It's not just you.

If you substitute the veg. tan with a hand brain-tan it would be cave-man leathercrafting :D

WHOA. GREAT IDEA. DAMN. NOW I WANNA DO IT.

I've been planning for awhile. On a line of extremely raw looking gear. All inspired by Saint Bartholomew, the patron saint of tanning.

436px-Last_judgement.jpg

A set of very minimalistic gear. No frills. Designed like how leather gears were back then when they made full use of the leather even the edge. Just 1 or 2 main compartments... Stitched with sinew without a spacer... Zero modern hardware if possible. Maybe a bone/antler button as a closing mechanism.

BUT..... NEED TO SAVE UP FOR MATERIALSSSS. HAHAHAHA.! Damn...

I've been planning for awhile. On a line of extremely raw looking gear. All inspired by Saint Bartholomew, the patron saint of tanning.

436px-Last_judgement.jpg

A set of very minimalistic gear. No frills. Designed like how leather gears were back then when they made full use of the leather even the edge. Just 1 or 2 main compartments... Stitched with sinew without a spacer... Zero modern hardware if possible. Maybe a bone/antler button as a closing mechanism.

Sounds like a very interesting idea!

I had something similar done once by an American Indian craftsman - bone button, all stitching done with leather strips, ruff edges tied in with leather more leather...but had to use veg. tanned bull as brain-tanned stuff wasn't available.

Would be very curious as to what you come up with :)

Oh right. wait, now why wouldn't you use one?

Well... If you are going for the raw looking stuff, you might wanna try making it as "Slubby" as possible...?

Using a groover and a spacer makes things looks too neat, and would create an awkward juxtaposition with the raw edge.

when I was younger my neighbor shot a deer and I kept the hide. I then tanned it myself with rainwater (soft) alum and hand scraping the hide till it was clean. I didn't make anything with it as I kept the hair on, but it was a fun project to do and I thought it was cool I tanned it myself. I didn't keep the brain at the time, but my tanning turned out well.

You should go all out if you're going to do it... stop by your local stock yard and get a fresh hide.....

Ordered a custom made a key pouch using black croc and calf leather. Couldn't be happier at the workmanship and design (stitches are all very neat and solid). Simply love the change in croc texture from the front to the back of the pouch. O yeah this cost less than $135 USD. Worth every single damn cent.

KP1.jpg

KP2.jpg

436px-Last_judgement.jpg

into this! Post updates!

I did something similar to that (a western jacket). I'm not sure about your experience level, but sinew is HARD AS HELL to use. If you're going to do it, be prepared for at least 3 months of 5 hours per day. It's much more difficult than you assume. My jacket was 5 deerhides, a pullover and some lacing. It took at least 125 hours, and what you're talking about is FAR more intricuit. Good luck of you dp go into it, and if you are actually experienced, just take it from someone else as being impressed. Itsjustnc, prove me wrong!

into this! Post updates!

Haha.! Definitely the first site I'll post to..!

I did something similar to that (a western jacket). I'm not sure about your experience level, but sinew is HARD AS HELL to use. If you're going to do it, be prepared for at least 3 months of 5 hours per day. It's much more difficult than you assume. My jacket was 5 deerhides, a pullover and some lacing. It took at least 125 hours, and what you're talking about is FAR more intricuit. Good luck of you dp go into it, and if you are actually experienced, just take it from someone else as being impressed. Itsjustnc, prove me wrong!

Hmm... I not sure how tough sinew is to stitch with as I've only ever use artificial sinew, but with all due respect, i don't think its gonna take 3 months to make a bag...

IMG_4445.JPG

IMG_4446.JPG

But a word of caution, the stuff scratches real easy.

I made this in a day. From coming out with the pattern to finishing the edges.