Show us your leather

aleopold

• 2 weeks later...

image_zpsmbwrmnmf.jpg

BE610534-180B-46CC-9A28-22F0005B29D9_zps

Wallet handmade with Horween by Fourth Winter Manufacturing/Hudson's Hill of Greensboro, NC

Brass wallet chain by CRAF...T of Japan from Earthmarket(rakuten)

Missing: leather wallet chain by Fourth Wintet Manufacturing/Hudson's Hill of Greensboro, NC

Edited by mlwdp

Here's a little project I've been working on. I cut these Red Wing 6" "roughout" mocs into oxfords, finished the cut edge with some veg tan, and wore them for about 6 months. The roughout doesn't really look all that great as it gets dirty so I gave them a coat of mink oil (last pic) to see if that would make any difference. It's hard to see here, but it darkened them quite a bit and I'm really happy with how they turned out. Looking forward to seeing how they look in another 6 months. 

Red_Wing_Custom_Oxfords.jpg

On 8.1.2017 at 9:18 PM, volvo240thebest said:

Seiko sxk007 and new Italian leather watch strap. the brand is called LS, I've paid it 40 euros and didn't expect it to look that good. Great leather and very thick.

Where can I buy from them? Need a new watch strap...

For the outer, some of the leather types that are popular & easily accessed at the moment are:

* Shell cordovan

* English bridle from Sedgwick/Clayton/Baker

* Natural vegetable tanned leather

* CXL from Horween

My preference would be for a high quality natural veg tan. None of the other leathers will age with as much grace or character, IMO, compared with a simple but good quality veg tan. Anything from Wickett & Craig carving leather to Buttero or Minerva Liscio would be a nice introduction to leather!

Shell is popular, but I think it is somewhat of a 'superficial' material - not nearly as magical as grained leathers; best used on footwear.

CXL can work well, though it dirties easily, and takes a while in terms of patina development before it looks good.

English bridle lends class, though in my own experience they don't age with the some grace as a less processed or raw veg tan...IMO, more for people who want things to look new, rather than for folks who want a bit of aesthetically pleasing wear & tear.

For more 'elegance', you could try a finer leather, though I don't think they will suit the bifold you have in mind:

* Chevre goat

* Baranil/Barenia calf

* Exotics

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Tanner bifold, received Xmas 2013.  Love this wallet.  Spoilered pics show full interior/exterior

20170302_122343.thumb.jpg.49e587b0785458c7b263d71fa6c31a06.jpg

Spoiler

20170302_122457.thumb.jpg.433a5e7230b84ac8d75a10e55625e69f.jpg

Spoiler

20170302_122433.thumb.jpg.471ed00561bde0f6189b16c78f691ee4.jpg

Spoiler

20170302_122539.thumb.jpg.2fe992746de99a2730c3576cfda17940.jpg

Edited by HGS

• 4 weeks later...

Fairly big write-up with this new review of a mill handmade Japanese Wallet, hoping to introduce Shonan Leathers to you guys too!

Here's the review:

https://indigoshrimp.wordpress.com/2017/03/27/mill-handmade-custom-japanese-wallet-review-part-1/

Otherwise, here are some initial photos:

kqplN7f.jpg

hUJbFlP.jpg

xmuAjhU.jpg

bTjoRBi.jpg

DMS2evT.jpg

Great review Mike, that's a really nice looking wallet and from the outside I thought I was looking at one from Pailot River. The Shonan leather looks really nice, and appears quite similar to RM/PR's leather.

After reading that I'm 90% sure that my Tim Leathers wallet is made from Buttero leather. It looks/smells just like you described. It's aged really well over the past six months or so despite receiving no sun tanning. I need to post some pics/do a writeup soon.

Yes, absolutely. You can use the coin case for cards if you want, though in addition to change I've kept guitar picks and other small items in them. I find that I use quarters pretty regularly in vending machines and such - and if you ever plan on going somewhere that coins are commonly used (like Japan), having the coin case is incredibly useful. I'd much rather have it than a few extra card slots that I don't really need. I don't think the coin case on my wallet takes up any more space than a panel for cards, either.

@Cold Summer

Thanks Kyle!

Keen to see how your wallet is going. 

This wallet and Red Moon / Pailot River's wallets come in non-zippered versions too. 

I have a habit of carrying a coin pouch, so my wallets usually don't have any coin compartments. More and more though, I am finding less use for coins - most of the vending machines and parking meters here take credit card or even mobile phone purchases now. 

Anyway, the Shonan leather is like magic, super responsive. I'll throw up some photos in a few days - it's surprised me by how much it had aged in just a couple of days. 

Edited by mikecch