Show us your leather

aleopold

Ray Lansburg at theblackacre.net is great to work with -- excellent materials and craftsmanship at fair prices.

Yeah, I love his work but do you know if he is still taking orders ? I thought I saw where he quit doing custom orders.

• 2 weeks later...

i just foundout that there is a tandy leather 5 minuites from the house im moving in to! to those of you that do some of your own leather work, how did you get in to it? are there any good websites for beginners?

can anyone help a brother out with suggestions of footwear brands? 

affordable and nice

ex. ralph lauren, brooks brothers, cole haan 

cole haan was always my go-to brand but i feel as though their design and quality are leaking [rapidly]

...headed to a gala next wednesday. rented a tux; don't own any (formal) black shoes. not looking for something super elegant that i could only wear with a tuxedo, but perhaps something just fancy enough that i could dress down a bit.

would greatly appreciate your vast knowledge and recommendations. thanks!

So, I'm in the market for a new wallet after using my natural Corter bifold for a couple years.
I've only ever really used bifolds, but I'm open to different designs. Particularly vertical and mid-length stuff.

So far the two wallets that have caught my eye the most are the Wild Child wallet from Self Edge as well as the Flat Head hand sewn wallet pictured here:

FH_WALLET_MAIN-683x1082.JPG

I just want something a bit more substantial than the Corter bifold I've got now, it's gotten quite thin over time.

Just looking for some more suggestions in regards to brands and any experience with the wallets I already mentioned.

Thanks.

Pieces: OGL Jane Natural Wallet + Red's Leather rein

Worn: 1 year and a half for the wallet, a couple months for the rein

Origin: Singapore for OGL. France for the rein, more specifically Angers.

15054146818_09e40154fc_c.jpg

Both the wallet and rein start showing wear.

Close-up on the rein:

15053952089_b3835c5842.jpg

All brass parts from Japan. It will age providing some vert-de-gris.

15240327832_36652f4418.jpg

The chain comes from Poursin, one of the oldest saddlery maker in Paris. It's brass too.

The rein was bought at T-Bird Paris, a place you don't want to miss if you visit the city.

Cheers

I think I need to learn how to sew some saddle stitchings to save my wallet from falling apart.

Any tips!? 

It's not that hard nizzel55. 

you basically got one long thread. You get 2 needles. Put one on each end of the thread.

Stick one needle into the leather so that the leather is in the middle of the thread. 

Then start crossing your needles. Left needle to right & the right needle to the left.

I'm Dutch, so do I make any sense?

It's not that hard nizzel55. 

you basically got one long thread. You get 2 needles. Put one on each end of the thread.

Stick one needle into the leather so that the leather is in the middle of the thread. 

Then start crossing your needles. Left needle to right & the right needle to the left.

I'm Dutch, so do I make any sense?

You don't really need two needles, you can have just one and make a "double running stitch"...first make a running stitch in one direction like this

Picture-0052.jpg

Then upon reaching the end, just go back to fill in the gaps until you reach your starting point like this:

dr1.gif

And you don't have to make new holes, just follow the existing original holes as your guide.  Easy?

A backstitch (there's a youtube tutorial on that) would actually be easier and less time consuming to do, but one side would look differently from the other side

Edited by mf051404

Just out of curiosity what's wrong with it?  No ring to attach the wallet rope to the wallet?

nothings wrong with it, i just ordered the wrong one :( i ment to get a longer one with a zipper pocket