Show us your leather

aleopold

lucass, I like the redesign and I'm also not a huge fan of keeping coins in my wallet. I would rather have them in my right pocket. On my Acadia I use the coin pouch for extra cards and receipts. Still trying to master putting money back into my wallet since I'm not use to mid size wallets, it can be a little tough sometimes. But I love my wallet and can't wait to see it evolve!!

another nice belt from Scott...

how much belts you already own, Mike? :D

I have around 15 belts that fit in with the hobby...also have a bunch of dressy belts but I never wear them any more.

You're doing a pretty good job too :)

Been meaning to update - at 4 months (maybe 2.5 months effective):

P1200256.jpg

P1200261.jpg

P1200246.jpg

P1200236.jpg

More on my blog in a couple of days.

Edited by mikecch

Just arrived, the final prototype of the "Military belt" project with Equus Leather before the project belts get made.

The hand-stitch has been upgraded, some spacing aspects adjusted, and the pin is the finalised version:

P1200226.jpg

P1200205.jpg

P1200206.jpg

P1200210.jpg

P1200219.jpg

P1200187.jpg

P1200228.jpg

Still taking orders for a short while before the leather from Baker's is delivered (PM me for details) :)

For the rant, see here.

Edited by mikecch

Oh my goodness. Now I'm really, really excited.

How's the stiffness on that thing? My Obbi Good belt is about that thick but it's gotten nice and soft over the months to the point that it's quite flexible and comfy. My only concern with the Equus belt is that it's going to be really stiff, but either way I'll survive.

Now, if only I could get a mid or long wallet made out of the Baker's oak bark leather.

Edited by Cold Summer

It's a little stiff in the first couple of days, but not overly so considering it's thickness & finish I think.

Should mould quite well if it's anything like the Quercus leather which is also from the same tannery and shares the same tannage.

Just bought a OGL veg tan short wallet for myself as post-chinese new year present.

Best post-CNY gift I ever bought! :)

Pictures taken after one-day usage.

Front:

6766543467_b5d11247ab_z.jpg

Back:

6766548993_78db9b5c1a_z.jpg

Inside:

6766553797_4465cf8cf0_z.jpg

Edited by adrianghaust

^ 65 british pounds ex. vats.

I think you'll find the leather very interesting - unlike saddle/skirting from the Americas the grain growth is very deep and pretty much completely unfinished, the hide itself is top-notch as is the English oak tannage.

Got an email from Equus saying my belt will ship on Monday. Excitement.

Nice!

I'd recommend a feed or two before wearing :)

Edited by mikecch

For mine I did two thin layers of Sedgwick's leather feed on the grain side (4 days apart) and a layer of unlucky's tallow feed on the back/corium side. This was all within the first few days of light wear.

At a minimum I would give the grain side and the back side each a layer of conditioner, and if possible use a feed with a higher wax content for the back side (as the leather is un-split, and hence the back side is rough.)

I know some people prefer not to oil their leathers, or to oil them after significant wear...but I think for Baker's natural bridle a little bit of oil not only further enhances the grain growth but also reduces the stiffness by quite a bit.

Here's a cross-sectional view of the leather where a peg hole was made during the manufacturing process - it's pretty hard to over-feed this beasty:

P1200189.jpg

Edited by mikecch

Super informative as always mike, thanks. Do you know any us stockists of sedgwicks? Im thinking of just asking Charlie to throw it in with the belt since I can't find any locally.

All I have is Flat Head's leather oil/wax and some neatsfoot oil. I'm guessing that's not what I need. I sent an email to Equus, hopefully it's not too late to buy some of their feed and get it included in my order. Any idea if there's something good I could get here in Japan?

IMO TFH's stuff would work fine as well, though a bit pricey. You can try Seiwa's feeds in Japan for better value.

I like Sedgwick's stuff because it's simple and the proportion of oil:wax suits my preferences...otherwise there are plenty of good feeds in the USA & Japan :)