Show us your leather

aleopold

His designs are good but the construction and his leather sources are Smear DoodDoo Fliies.
more explanation on that? i dont see a problem with the construction and have never heard anything bad about it, so school me please?

Yes, I'd love some more info on this, so far no complains from me, it's not Horween shell cordovan anyway. I guess that might deter the true Horween fans but the construction seems to be great.

Count me in as to curious of what the specific complaints with Angelo's are? from everything I've seen he's got some of the cleanest finishes we've seen in these threads...

True , the burnished edge and stitching seems perfect to me...by my amateur eyes at least;)

What kiya is trying to say is that he doesn't sell the leather wear so it must be horrible craftsmanship.

I would like some validation to your statement Kiya.

For a $100 billfold or $200 rider/trucker wallet, I'm not sure why you'd fault the construction or leather at all?

I've seen this stuff in person both at SESF from a customer that owns two pieces and also by one of the guy's that designs for KC (japan), the leather quality isn't great on this stuff. It's extremely hard to tell from photos but when you see the pieces in person the leather isn't up to par with what's on Samurai, Flat Head, Kawatako, and Warehouse leather collections. Very high quality leathers (due to their grain and feel) are very expensive, luxury leather prices have gone up 20% just within the last 18 months, it's near impossible to be buying the best out there and selling your wallets and belts for that much.

The complaints that I have with my Angelos cordo cardholder is that the layered card slots aren't big enough for the cards (the cards jut out too much for my liking), don't allow enough cards (more than one and the leather is stretching a bit too much), and the they are assymetrical (one slot fits the card in more than the other slot). Other than these it's nice and polished and looks good.

I've seen this stuff in person both at SESF from a customer that owns two pieces and also by one of the guy's that designs for KC (japan), the leather quality isn't great on this stuff. It's extremely hard to tell from photos but when you see the pieces in person the leather isn't up to par with what's on Samurai, Flat Head, Kawatako, and Warehouse leather collections. Very high quality leathers (due to their grain and feel) are very expensive, luxury leather prices have gone up 20% just within the last 18 months, it's near impossible to be buying the best out there and selling your wallets and belts for that much.

To be honest, I think the natural cattlehide that Angelos uses, whilst not as good as what TFH, Kawatako, etc use for their better pieces, is pretty damn good for the price that Angelos is charging. It is a very raw skirting/saddle leather, and not the hand-curried stuff used on some pieces by the Japanese brands - that's not saying it can't look good and the grain cannot evolve well with proper care (which is more difficult with skirting/saddle leathers.)

Would Samurai, TFH, Kawatako or Warehouse sell a billfold for $100 shipped? Or a cordovan wallet for $150? Apples and oranges mate...

I don't think your "the construction and his leather sources are Smear DoodDoo Fliies" comment is very fair.

You merely handled a couple of pieces with a few moments - if you want to be critical, why don't you purchase one, use it for a year, and report back?

You don't have to tell me it's hard to judge the quality of leathers from photos - I've handled lots of of different leathers, including the Angelos' products as well as products by the brands you mentioned above - I definitely do not think Angelos' products are Smear DoodDoo Fliies (whatever that is.)

His designs are good but the construction and his leather sources are Smear DoodDoo Fliies.

I hate this guy... get out of here with your $700 wallet... Angelos constuction beats anything you have on your site! Talking shit about a persons livelihood on a public forum tells us who you are, I always liked BiG anyways.

5986562454_4325bb6c2a_m.jpg

Someone had to quote this.

Apparently sellers are not entitled to an opinion.

It sure seems like it.

Internet warriors win on forums filled with people that have little to no experience in the field.

Well of course you are entitled to your opinion, but what about next time you throw in a bit more constructive appraisal and informative comments, since you have so much experience in the field?

It's kinda bad form to throw criticism around like this without backing it up - we can't learn anything new from it, and it only serves to tarnish other folks' reputation...what's the point mate?

It just seems really unnecessary to bad-mouth a $100 product because it's not in the same league as a $300 product.

From one leather enthusiast to another, just telling me the feel & grain of a saddle leather is sub-par is like telling me nothing at all... how long have the wallets you've seen been used? How and with what were they treated? Surely you know the grain and feel of such raw leather is heavily user-dependent?

Is it really fair, or at all useful, to compare a well-tanned but minimally post-tan processed leather to the hand-treated hides used on higher end products by Kawatako et al. if the pricing reflects this difference?

I would encourage folks who are looking for wallets and bags to give Chris at Angelos an e-mail; I do believe the value for money is fantastic, and the workmanship is very considered.

It sure seems like it.

Internet warriors win on forums filled with people that have little to no experience in the field.

You're certainly entitled to your opinions and in fact, your expertise and opinions are highly valued here. That's why when you nonchalantly call out a product as "Smear DoodDoo Fliies," with little backing evidence, you will justifiably get push-back. Whether you meant to or not, you come off as having an agenda since you are a purveyor of fine denim and leather goods.

But as it stands, saying something is "Smear DoodDoo Fliies" tells me nothing and should be ignored as worthless information.

As Mikecch points out above had more constructive criticism been provided, then your opinion on this product would absolutely be valuable and certainly appreciated.

And as an expert and retailer, you're held to a higher standard in terms of your opinions. Otherwise what's the difference between you and the rest of us "internet warriors" with "no experience in the field."