Show us your leather

aleopold

Love this biker jacket worn by Justin Theroux. Has that retro 80s padded shoulders but a clean single breasted front.

love to get my hands on one although bet it cost a bomb. any ideas?

JustinTheroux-20110623-17.jpg

Just happened to have my Laanglitz Leathers catalogue by me when reading this, and I think you'de like the cascade. Great price at $850 for mtm. Give it a look.

A bit more re: the Clayton bridle.

A very different approach to Baker's make, a very uniform but shallow grain growth - interesting stuff!

p7030006.jpg

p7030007.jpg

p7030014x.jpg

p7030011.jpg

Again, on the dark brown leather too.

I cannot see the pores at all on this very precise, perfect grain:

p7030035.jpg

p7030036.jpg

And a quick update on my Angelos no. 2 cattlehide wallet - it's been another 3 months now!

p7030041.jpg

p7030040.jpg

In not so direct lighting:

p7030038.jpg

The leather has a good shine on it just from conditioning and sweat, and the emu oil I've been feeding it also imparted a slight pull-up effect.

The wax linen threading are going strong, and the grain has really opened up too :)

p7030042.jpg

And a testament to Chris' superb burnishing - almost half a year later, it is still as smooth as it was the day I received it.

His attention to detail and devotion in creating a precise, considered product is no less than the more famous Japanese workshops!

p7030050z.jpg

Usage late 2009 - mid 2011

old%2Bto%2Bnew1.JPG

old%2Bto%2Bnew2.JPG

old%2Bto%2Bnew3.JPG

Can't remember the actual date i start using this, and this wallet has serve me well....

And here it goes, joining the vault of archive with the rest.

old%2Bto%2Bnew9.JPG

My new wallet!

London Tan Long with Python details

old%2Bto%2Bnew4.JPG

old%2Bto%2Bnew5.JPG

old%2Bto%2Bnew6.JPG

old%2Bto%2Bnew7.JPG

old%2Bto%2Bnew8.JPG

Trust me, even as a craftmens for OGL, the feeling of having this new wallet is the same as everyone else, all excited!

Thought this might make a change from belts and wallets.

For the past four or five years I've been growing more and more ashamed of our living room sofa - designed by nigel coates, it was covered in Alcantara, fake suede, but was getting increasing greasy and nasty. We put off recovering it for a long time, because it only made sense to recover in leather - and the last quote we'd got, in a decent aniline tan, was £1500. Ouch.

In the spring I got a payment I'd been awaiting for a couple of years. So it was now or never. I'd sourced a couple of upholsterers before, this time I spent a morning trying different people - and finally found a company who did all the small scale leather work for the original manufacturers, Hitch Mylius. By sourcing the leather separately - from Andrew Muirhead, the leading british tannery for upholstery leather - I managed to shave a third off the price.

THen, disaster, Once the leather arrived, it was poor quality - barbed wire marks, and lots of assymetric streaking. Variation in a hide can be attractive, as long as it's fairly symmetrical around the spine. The Muirhead leathers were patchy - I think because we were one-off purchasers, they'd perhaps sent us some lower quality skins. We had an awkward week or two before they agreed they were indeed sub-standard and refunded the payment.

So. Same time as the Muirhead, we'd also looked at Sorensen leathers. They have supplied the leather for all the Arne Jacobsen chairs, particularly, the Egg, for the last 50 years. They were pricier than the Muirhead - in the end it turned out we'd bought their most expensive leather, the aniline 5064 Cognac, even nicer than the samples I'd seen. Intriguingly, though, the price for buying direct from them in Denmakr was almost exactly one third the price we were quoted by a leading design shop for the leather alone.

Finally we picked up the baby, yesterday. As you might be able to guess from the shape, this is an exceptionally tricky sofa to recover. We're very happy with the job.

sofa1x.jpg

sofa2dy.jpg

This shows some of the streakiness, altho it's hard to capture on camera.

sofa3l.jpg

Now, all we have to do is wait for the first mark or stain!

that's a great looking sofa (from the front) I'm not sure I get the back end...?

I know your pain on the getting just the right leather, and the one you got looks fantastic. Perfect color. I think they did smash up job on it.

do you have matching chairs?