Evolution of Leather Goods: Before and After Pictures

Hi there.

I have read an article in Red Moon magazine before, and they said.....

"you don't need to oil your wallet very often as long as you use it everyday - when you touch your wallet, that's as if your hands give your wallet natural oil really".

That kind of makes a sense to me.:)

I only oiled my wallet twice - the first time was after sun-tanning, and the second time was when I had a sudden shower and my wallet got wet!:( It was touch and go when I applied the oil, but looking back it was really nothing. I assume those who are against mink oil or neatsfoot oil, might have applied too much oil on their wallets like putting butter on a toast, or didn't wipe off the excess oil and let it dry? Too much oiling also causes trouble (i.e. colour changing etc.)

Got my wallet today!

img0806pb2.jpg

i love it honestly. It's beautiful, and the quality is amazing. The attention to detail is impeccable, and the little touches are great(buffalo head nickel for the button on the wallet, half dollar for the button on the belt loop). I am so happy with it, and even though it's already a little stained by the indigo in my sugar canes, i figure that just adds character.

BUT, as you can see from my earlier post of my belt, it would seem that cost does not have the biggest bearing on ability to turn out nice.

I have been thinking lately; I have a Kuny brand tool pouch made of untreated leather, and they make ordinary belts to for under 20 bucks I am sure. Somebody here shoudl check them out, I wish I did at the start of the construction season.

http://www.kunysleather.com/products/detail001.asp?partNo=EL-901 (there a are a bunch)

BUT, as you can see from my earlier post of my belt, it would seem that cost does not have the biggest bearing on ability to turn out nice.

I have been thinking lately; I have a Kuny brand tool pouch made of untreated leather, and they make ordinary belts to for under 20 bucks I am sure. Somebody here shoudl check them out, I wish I did at the start of the construction season.

http://www.kunysleather.com/products/detail001.asp?partNo=EL-901 (there a are a bunch)

those belts will last forever:D

LOL, I forgot I posted in this thread. Thanks for the comments guys. I think the jacket it from the early nineties. I love it, it is like putting on a suit of armor. I need to water proof it again because I haven't for a long time and I always end up wearing it in the rain somehow.

Those are some nice belts Roland, especially the 45rpm belt. I love the buckle, its got great details but still isn't terribly flashy at all.

^ The 45 rpm belt was 220, but I picked it up on sale at $110. It was an impulse buy. The belt is hammered and very hard to photograph, but here is another pic of it.

rpmdetsx5.jpg

^ As for the other two belts, I ordered them over the phone and not from their website. One belt is natural leather that has not been treated. It looked lighter at first, but I rubbed neatsfoot oil on it. The other belt is their black distressed model. I think the order took about 3 weeks to complete, but they are great. The leather is very thick on the nat. leather model.

i ordered this wallet from the same guy as watchman (?). cept i asked for oak tanned leather instead of the shrunken stuff. The wallet hasnt arrived yet but i think it looks like this (i think this is the actual picture of my wallet that he is using here)

oaktrkr.jpg

what do you guys think?

Tan Nubuck inside. Measures 8" x 4" closed and has a 12" braided lanyard.

so you just do a cardboard cut out or something, i dont actually have it yet but it should be here in a coupel of days, i think its about 90US. the guy is a bit bitchy tho. he actually cracked it at me in one email. scary guy.

Tan Nubuck inside. Measures 8" x 4" closed and has a 12" braided lanyard.

so you just do a cardboard cut out or something, i dont actually have it yet but it should be here in a coupel of days, i think its about 90US. the guy is a bit bitchy tho. he actually cracked it at me in one email. scary guy.

Really? Guy seemed nice when I got a belt from him. What happened? Im thinking of ordering a wallet from his site, different from yours but same leather. Yours looks nice by the way, should age nicely.

yeah he was nice at first, but then i asked him about the whole suntanning thing and he just cracked it. saying that if i wanted to stuff everything up by listening to my juvenile airhead freinds on that blog that i shoudlnt tell him about it. although i did ask alot of questions so im sure he has the right to be angry.