Evolution of Leather Goods: Before and After Pictures

IMG_4540.JPG

I made this card case for my girlfriend roughly 2 weeks back. And the evo is mad weird... Was wondering if anyone would be able to shed some light on it.

The top left corner absorbed the indigo in an odd way. Normally the indigo would only rub and stain the surface of the leather, however for this instance, it seems to be penetrating wayyy deep into the leather. So much so that you can see dots all around. As if the indigo went into the pores.

I was wondering has anyone experienced this problem before.? Is it due to the quality of the leather or just the area the leather was taken from.? :confused:

• 2 weeks later...

is it recommended to tan and/or oil your leather products before use? I've heard many suggestions and was wondering what's the best way to get as much color out of a natural product as possible. and what kind of oil should I apply? was recommended neetsfoot or mink oil. not sure which one is better.

is it recommended to tan and/or oil your leather products before use? I've heard many suggestions and was wondering what's the best way to get as much color out of a natural product as possible. and what kind of oil should I apply? was recommended neetsfoot or mink oil. not sure which one is better.

Leather products are generally oiled by the manufacturere before they are sold, so you don't need to oil them right away, but if you want to darken them a little it might help. I would oil your leather every 6 months to a year, or if it feels dry or brittle. It depends on your climate. Neetsfoot and mink oil

are both good, and a compound conditioner like lexol is good too. That's all preference really. If you are trying to darken natural veg tan, spray it with a little water and set it out in the sun for a few hours.

here's some evo of the Horween Horsehide Mids__ 16mos old = worn daily***nvm the concho, the silver replacement broke, so had to slap the original back on, but got my eyes peeled for a new one.

GTortho.jpg

taken w/o flash:

UnluckyF.jpg

UnluckyB.jpg

taken w/flash to show the patina:

UnluckyF2.jpg

UnluckyB2.jpg