evil lives japanese slevedge denim

demonator

new jap selvedge denim line  

144 members have voted

1. 1. what cuts

Hey guys,

This is my first post, I've been lurking for quite sometime now and all I can say is that superdenim is awesome!

My name is Mark and I’m partnering with Ed in this denim project. We’re both passionate about bringing this project to life and we would like to share our journey to all SUFUers.

The Philippines has been making jeans for decades now and we would want to show that the Philippines can also make quality selvedge denim. The guys we are working with have tons of experience making jeans and hopefully we would come out with pair that you guys would want to wear.

I’ll be documenting the process of Ed's pair in the next couple of weeks.

This humble shop is located in the Province of Bulacan, the Northern part of the country's capital, Metro Manila

awxhtk.jpg

This shop is owned by a pattern-maker named Joel. The family-owned shop was passed down to him by his father, who was a popular tailor in the area back then. Joel decided to shift from tailoring to making jeans because it was what the Filipinos wanted. '

2dl6803.jpg

The trusty Kalabaw (Carabao/Water Buffalo)

o9vp.jpg

This is Edie’s pair. 14.5oz Japanese Selvedge (green selvedge)

nb3qkk.jpg

Patterns he made this year (2012)

1zpqjb9.jpg

Hope you guys enjoy this! Cheers!

Edited by Mark Dee

woah so awesome. really excited and happy to see some craft work being done in the philippines! i'll be visiting sometime early next year - i'm interested in finding out more.

Hey Ed, long time lurker here. Just a quick question.... Why no Levi's in the mix? We know you hate Cone denim, but you can't deny heritage. Let's be honest: No Levi's, no Japanese repro business. Your thoughts? Love your spending habits.

sorry buddy no levis i hate levis because of what they did to these japanese companies.i dont care about levis heritage it all went sour when levis started handing out demand letters to these small entrepreneurs

could not agree more. well said ed.

Levi's heritage? they bastardized their heritage by putting out thousands and thousands of pairs of garbage every year when they could have set the example.

Edited by xchen

Yeah. Totally. You guys name acompany that hasn't knocked off the '44, 47', 55' and 66' cut. Nature of the beast. If I'm not mistaken Ed, you own several repro cuts that were more than likely taken from an old pair of Levi's. "D"evi's.... seriously?

well i can copy any pattern of trousers or jacket if i want to. i can tell you that i got it from another brand nor levis , they cannot set a trademark or patent on patterns can you? i have no idea and i dont care and yes " fuck you levis" nuff about this topic lets move on.

ok next pair will be a 55 repro cut

And just to clarify, I am knocking the cause at all. I just want the mind set of starting a denim company where all others start from the original. I love stouts, but Guiness isn't the best. See what I mean?

i know but watever lets move on. guys potential buyers of this brand what cuts do you want? we can charge a little extra to " modify" the cuts you want. maybe add a little rise here , add a little inseam there and cop off a quarter of an inch on the thigh. we can do that if you guys want it that way.

Hey brother, no offense sreiously. You hate Levi's, and I can respect that. I just wondered why thepoll didn't have a Levi's '55 cut instead of a PBJ 99-87.51 cut. Do your thing man, I still have an office job. Just wondering.

Great - will be following the progress here

(might order a straight cut with 8.5-9" hem - some of the cuts offered in the poll indicate this)

Why you wanna rip off other people cuts? You're gonna rip apart a pair of jeans and copy their jeans? Sounds lacking in creativity.

You're gonna rip off brands that rip off Levis. That's like 3rd generation rip off.

Japanese repro- replica.?

Yep I think you have enough knowledge to develope your own cuts.

Sounds good anyway man, finally an interesting thread here.

I would be down for something like skull5010 with a bit higher rise like yioni said

I wish you all the best

i didnt start off levis to know enough levis to riff them off. started with japanese brands so makes good sense you rip off something your familiar with . it really is hard to make a good cut if you know what i mean so were making cuts now based from inputs of sufu people like a modifiied 710 or a looser i think would be a best bet for us

thanks ale well try but we want to keep the cost down. the only thing thats expensive in our product is the japanese denim fabric. the rest are quite cheap, this is really not something we do for a living its just therapy for us . hope we can pull it off!

Having worked in the apparel industry for many years (also as pattern maker) I have to point out that "copying" patterns is not unusual and almost standard practice for start-ups. There is so much more to making a good pair than just the pattern...

In this part of the jeans business there is very little sense in re-inventing the wheel - there are standard cuts that customers expect and reference against. Automatically, the focus falls on workmanship and fabric/denim.

I'm pretty sure if things work out for these guys we can expect more.

Having worked in the apparel industry for many years (also as pattern maker) I have to point out that "copying" patterns is not unusual and almost standard practice for start-ups. There is so much more to making a good pair than just the pattern...

In this part of the jeans business there is very little sense in re-inventing the wheel - there are standard cuts that customers expect and reference against. Automatically, the focus falls on workmanship and fabric/denim.

I'm pretty sure if things work out for these guys we can expect more.

This is a true story.