Visvim F/W 12

seven.homme

Even though you may not be that keen on this fall or the past few seasons there still always something awesome. Like you may not like tha basic stuff which I agree but if you had unlimited money, there insane dope shit, the elmendorf this season, the Hudson jacket, suede 101, the French sweater etc. there like 4 pieces that are all awesome and would cost you about 40k lol. So the basic stuff may not seem to stand out but if we were all working with unlimited funds which were not at least I'm not lol there would still be something to get every season

The simplicity at first glance always seems nice with Vis. But then the materials and construction get a closer look and I am sold.

Think this season is a bit louder as with other seasons. I don't like it either.

The shoes look nice this winter although I still find the virgil and the other workboot a bit of a mystery.

I have handled the boots and they are light and without a doubt comfortable but I tend to go for their original siblings (Red Wing, Russel, Viberg)

They wouldn't last a day in my environment with mud puddles, oil slicks etc..Kangaroo leather or Elk would be damaged beyond repair in a day...

And I can see the Visvim aesthetics in the FBT and other shoes but not in these... Am I missing something??

Even though you may not be that keen on this fall or the past few seasons there still always something awesome.

No doubt. What might seem like a mediocre season to me, for vis standards, still shuts down every other brand out there. The problem is that I've hit almost every piece I've wanted so anything additional is more about brand ideology which is terribly silly. I'm contemplating the Big Fork Blanket for goodness sake, I should have my head examined. God help me if he starts a home-line or something. Visvim is the adult equivalent of being into a band when you're 15 - reason is rarely a factor.

I think the aesthetic has gotten too rough around the edges, I miss the tighter clean cuts of aw09 and aw10. I'll be relieved if and when Nakamura-san moves past this jap farmer/native american hobo stuff.

No doubt. What might seem like a mediocre season to me, for vis standards, still shuts down every other brand out there. The problem is that I've hit almost every piece I've wanted so anything additional is more about brand ideology which is terribly silly. I'm contemplating the Big Fork Blanket for goodness sake, I should have my head examined. God help me if he starts a home-line or something. Visvim is the adult equivalent of being into a band when you're 15 - reason is rarely a factor.

I think the aesthetic has gotten too rough around the edges, I miss the tighter clean cuts of aw09 and aw10. I'll be relieved if and when Nakamura-san moves past this jap farmer/native american hobo stuff.

I hear ya about this season, definitely not my favorite, but like you said, it still shits on evry other brand, and there are a good dozen or so pieces that are still really dope. Footwear this season just does not seem as good though, grizzly's are great, but i think like master said the different style of boots are hit or miss and for me they miss this season. Still though, the quality when you get the products smelling like the FIL scent, theres not much like it, its bittersweet sometimes with the bank account picture, but i havent gotten a piece from them where i ever felt cheated.

Like you i have hit a lot of the pieces that i really want, but im sure ill get sucked in in the future buying the same models but different variations from season to season, just because of how dope it is haha. The brand though is a borderline obssession and nakamura has used his wizardry on us, but i am glad im not out of the loop on this stuff, people who are judgemental or too cheap to buy visvim, truly dont know what they are missing.

The Hudson I think is only around 10k. When I got mine the first time it was released it was around 7500. I asked why it went up this season and they said that visvim did not make the price point they wanted to the first time around lol what ever the fuck that means. And I like all the noragis kimonos and lhamos shirts it may not be for everyone but it's a good layering item. I also like some of the border patters, by themselves they don't look so hot then when paired with the right thing they look really good. Like I would have never thought I wanted the striped artisian smock till I saw it paired with the denim coveralls, French sweater, and Kilgore, now I really want it and it goes to show you how the look books like sense can effect the influence of how you feel about something. I did not like this season as first glance but at the end of the day the shit looks great, they came out with some heavy hitting pieces and some nice basics. It's easy to say its not good for us cause most of us already have a lot of their basics

So it seems like we're discussing two points here.

Firstly what is the point in Visvim, is it a worthwhile obsession? (If you're continuously reading this forum then of course its def an obsession!!) and secondly the old classic - is it as good as it used to be?

Starting with the easy one - no nothing is rarely is as good as when you first felt it, hence the original pique of interest. Whether that be your first sausalito, nam nam, becher, oneida, hockney, townsend etc etc. However most of us have stuck around because and not despite of the changing aesthetic (this being fashion after all), which for me at least in Visvim's case is generally referenced around a 'utility/work/'folk' on-going attempt to move to the highest premium level. Hiroki has of course embraced an haute couture element massively and this is now seen every season with 'reference' pieces and pre-order for exulted/fucking expensive/non mass produced rare items. Allegedly this was always a plan in terms of Hermes style brand cache ( and price points). Interestingly though I don't know of any other brand thats so personalised and difficult to obtain thats also well known in its native far east, n. america & europe ( & down under!!). As a contrasting example I think of The Soloist - similar insane prices, absolute attention to detail but not the same cult following ( obvious reasons) and wonder how for example niche brands can develop (if thats an aim?) to the same level.

My own personal love is based on the cut, use of material and ultimately the refinement and general off the scale unbelievably amazing beauty of the product. I do understand the questioning of a virgil or a grizzly as its not their most iconic/idiosyncratic work. My love for bear foots and fbt's remains undimmed precisely because i think the design and materials used take footwear to new heights. However hold, feel, wear a Grizzly for example and all will become crystal. Similarly the jackets i have, nomads, townsends, harris lieutenants etc etc, modify ( and for me) massively improve on already tried and trusted design classics. So here we have it...as any sartorial blogger worth their salt would tell you its simply a classic jp re-interpretation of us / european workwear , better made and with a twist.

This is not the story though as for me its a fucking big twist...... in the words of Carly Simon.... nobody does it better.

The native american, military, peripatetic, japanism, workwear influences are unrivalled. Look at the lhamo shirts, the old sea island cotton smocks, the mowatts. Seriously who fuses this shit better? Yes the odd Porter Classic or nepenthes ting, this or that but cohesive collection after collection?

Don't get me wrong its right to question things and some directions are a worry for me (re Emixam) but overall as Master and Ruco have stated there is still continuous class and commitment to core values.

Right I'm getting off my soapbox, I haven't' even addressed the first point but I'm boring myself now !

I think its' important to understand what vsvm means to us all though. Fuck knows we have to make some sense of our dwindling bank balances.....

Edited by winstonrodney...

The simplicity at first glance always seems nice with Vis. But then the materials and construction get a closer look and I am sold.

Think this season is a bit louder as with other seasons. I don't like it either.

The shoes look nice this winter although I still find the virgil and the other workboot a bit of a mystery.

I have handled the boots and they are light and without a doubt comfortable but I tend to go for their original siblings (Red Wing, Russel, Viberg)

They wouldn't last a day in my environment with mud puddles, oil slicks etc..Kangaroo leather or Elk would be damaged beyond repair in a day...

And I can see the Visvim aesthetics in the FBT and other shoes but not in these... Am I missing something??

I don't think your missing something the main thing with the visvim boots is def comfort. I will say I have put my Virgil kngr through some shit mud, snow, rain. Never has my foot been wet, now if your doing construction or something then yeah they would not be good for that. Day to day living those Virgil or grizzlies are not falling apart anytime soon. I've had vibergs and Russells as well and esp with the viberg there heavy and not as comfortable. On the Virgil's and grizzlies there pretty much water proof cause of the materials and they really do not fall apart from what I've put them through. I live in MI and we get a lot of snot and my kngr s after three seasons still looked brand new. In a city area with a lot of snow, the boots get put to the test not only is there water being constantly does on them but the salt they put in the streets is super hard on soles and leather, and my Virgil's ate fine. My 73s I had to re sole cause that first og sole is a little weak but my kngr I Resoled just cause I did not like the sole on it. To me the shit last and looks better then any other brand. When I've stepped in water with vibergs or any other suede shoe that shoe has water stains. For some reason all my suede visvim shoes don't pick any of that up, it's almost like they repell it and I thinks it's because they use untreated skins

The only stain I've got on a visvim shoe was A oil stain and after a few wipes that shit came out to. Maybe you just have not noticed these things like I have. Like I said unless your doing construction where heavy things can drop on your feet, they are the best boots money can buy in my opinion

I work at a port (trucks and boats)so yes they are put through the motion. I am behind a desk and in boardrooms a lot of the times but I want to be on the" floor" as much as possible.I willt put a pair of grizzlies in the rotation this winter, just to see if they hold up as good as you guys say they do...

@raven, no going back today.

Kinda pissed with one of the staff. Bought the burgundy lo yucca sz 9 (im a 9.5 for yucca actually), hoping it will stretch out. Asked him whats their policy on exchange, he said one day exchange. So went back to the hotel, after trying it for a while decided its too small and want to swap with other colour (they dont have 9.5 on burgundy).

Staff that work today said that its not fil policy for exchange etc, keep complaining about the staff who told me i can exchange but still end up with the sz 9. This just dont make any sense for. Ill understand if it no refund, but exchange with just a one day timeframe isnt possible is just stupid, especially with the amount of money we spent. I always expect the best customer service from vis.

Do you guys think i can email vis main hq and have a case or they just gonna tell me the same thing about the policy?

Edited by seven.homme

I willt put a pair of grizzlies in the rotation this winter, just to see if they hold up as good as you guys say they do...

not sure if it was in this tread or not, but I already mentionned Grizz are not as tough as they look like. Lighter that you expect, gumlite sole wears out super fast. You will kill them in one winter if you wear them on the "floor" as you say.

34e9etv.jpg

Ruc raises a very interesting point about touching on all the pieces that he may want already. To me that strikes a cord because I've always looked at visvim as a lifestyle brand. A small goal of mine, which i am on my way to achieving, is to obtain all my staples. I dont want to be a clothes or blog addict who has to constantly monitor and check for new releases anymore! It's about a brand that reflects my personality and desire to have clothing that meets a certain standard of uniqeness and quality. I just want to wear the clothes and live my life...

The fact that visvim (post 2009) has become such a well rounded design house, and does not change drastictly like a Prada or YSL, gives me the freedom to grab some pieces via pre-order, proxie, or even re-seller as the need arrives. I don't want to constantly be buying clothing. This was why I was such a RRL head in the mid-2000's, unfortunetly for my bank account visvim caught my eye.

The day that I am so content with my collection that I am looking into blankets, beads, hats, and random bags, I will be truely at peace. But I also will keep my eye out for the next "Noragi", something new to the catalogue of hits that makes use all talk. If I eventually have a few virgils in different materials or a couple 101's in different dyes or washes so be it, because I know that it will continue to work in the future. Take a look at two seasons old MMM or even Dior Homme and try and pair that with their current looks, not as easy....

Having said all this, there will always be some things from visvim I will not buy (at retail). I fuck up pants, chinos, too easily to spend major $$$. Also, button downs that are going to be a base layer can easily come from J.Crew and I will always be into "real raw denim". I picked up a pair of Roys recently from Self Edge because I respect what he does as an artisian and he shares the same passion as Hiroki.. To me visvim's denim line up is just too flat.

If you skim through every visvim thread on sufu and dont look at the year or season just the images and discussions we all talk about fit, price, how we sometimes have to hunt for a certain piece. I like that..... but more so it's about something that is aesthetically pleasing and expressive whether your in the US, Japan, etc.

Edited by Vinneus

Sorry to dig up old bones here but...

... I read the whole debate on Noragi sizing i.e. size up 1 due to narrow/high armholes etc. Is the same true for the lhamo shirt? Are the armholes high and comparably narrow on that too so as to warrant sizing up 1? I have someone who's telling me to stick to size as the armhole situation really only affects the Noragi - confused!

Thanks in advance...

Thanks Vinneus, it's nice to read composed thoughts around here every now and then.

The day that I am so content with my collection that I am looking into blankets, beads, hats, and random bags, I will be truly at peace.

That too was my hope and expectation.

BTW. To have my boots Resoled was 250 per shoe kind of pricy, I did not know it was gonna cost this much till after the fact I guess 70 of it was shipping back and fourth. The soles are 15000 yen and the rest was logistics. Like I said kind of pricy for a resole. I figured it would be around 150 per shoe. So my advice is to wear them shits till you see your foot poking out

Sorry to dig up old bones here but...

... I read the whole debate on Noragi sizing i.e. size up 1 due to narrow/high armholes etc. Is the same true for the lhamo shirt? Are the armholes high and comparably narrow on that too so as to warrant sizing up 1? I have someone who's telling me to stick to size as the armhole situation really only affects the Noragi - confused!

Thanks in advance...

Sorry to contradict others here but I'm 5'10

And 77 kilos and a fairly reg 2 in all vis shirts but have 3 Lhamo s all in size 3

as 2 is too tight. In fact the luxsic chk I have (with the check 'collar') could even be a four

Vinneus - that Kilgore looks great, nicely styled. Oh and you def look better with hair!!

Sorry to contradict others here but I'm 5'10

And 77 kilos and a fairly reg 2 in all vis shirts but have 3 Lhamo s all in size 3

as 2 is too tight. In fact the luxsic chk I have (with the check 'collar') could even be a four

This is what's making it so difficult to decide. Opinion seems to be split 50/50. Need 'armhole' measurements haha