Vaio or Powerbook?

br0ke

what kind of work do you plan on doing on your notebook anyway??? that might help us to make a better recommendation for you. however, generally speaking I would say go with either the ibook or the powerbook. I have an iBook G4, and I'm definitely lovin it!! I use it to do basic task (ie. word processing, internet, etc) as well as some graphic design and photography work.

Agreed. Vaios are the coolest PC laptops, but there is no competition against the PowerBook. If you can afford it, buy it. Aside from the beautiful, modern design, the hardware is extremely quiet, the screen is unbelievably nice looking, and the Mac OS X software is far superior to the Windows software.

And use the Apple DVD player. It's about 9,334,013.55 times better than any DVD player available for Windows. Long plain rides can be at least moderately enjoyable.

Consider what the people around you use. Many people still use pirated software, which will be harder to get by when using an Apple. Second, if you have a problem with your powerbook and you are the only Apple user, you have a problem. Powerbooks are more expensive than PCs, but I'm not sure if this holds true for VAIOs as well. Powerbooks are definitely the prettiest computers out there. And the style statement is obvious..

For serious work I rely on my desktop PC with CRT monitor. But it would be fun to have an Apple notebook on the side. :)

Reporter: "What do you think about western civilization?"

Gandhi: "I think it would be a good idea."

thanks for the suggestions everyone.

i was leaning towards vaio primarily on the sole reason that it seems cliche to get macs now...which is a petty reason i suppose.

but considering im in design program where all my classes have macs, it is a good reason.

Vaios still seem cool to me, but all that matters is weather or not one weighs less than the other...

thanks again!

I wouldnt say that getting a Mac nowadays is "cliche", just look at it as people finally stepping outside of the norm into a better realm of computers. Lets face it man, Macs are waaaayyy better, not just because of their looks either. Tell you what...if u ever have the opportunity look at a simple website like this one on your Pc, and then go look at it on a Mac. no comparison! Its just the simple things like that, that can really sway your mind onto the Mac side of things!!!

If you are even thinking about doing design, I guarantee if you buy a PC you will regret it at some point soon. There are already enough problems with clients and projects just because that is the nature of things but considering no one in the art/design fields use PCs at all (except maybe 3D people) then you are bound to run into more problems and things that are a pain in the ass.

powerbook.

i own both a pc laptop and a powerbook.

in 1 year, i replaced the pc 2x, replaced the hard drive 3x, and the motherboard once.

i had always owned macs prior, but due to autodesk's decision to stop porting autocad for the mac os, i had to buy a pc. not only could the pc not handle the graphics software, it crashed even when trying to browse the internet.

i have never had a hardware or software problem with ANY mac that i have owned, least of all my g4 powerbook. and now, if running windows based programs is your concern, you can run virtual pc. not to mention that macs can read and write to pc files...can you do that with windows???

if those reasons aren't enough...adobe and macromedia programs ported for mac are far more user friendly.

RHFIV