Jil Sander mens S/S 13 - Milan

bill

I think raf did a much better job, but he was able to hit a stride. For her first collection since she came back it could have been far worse.

that's a pretty low bar. raf's first collection for jil was infinitely more compelling. the only things that aren't ugly are the tailored basics that you can get anywhere

I think raf did a much better job pushing the brand while still maintaining the jil identity. This definitely strikes me as classic jil, but like you said its very underwhelming. More of a question though, was Jil ever big for menswear anyways? Pre raf era (I wasn't into the scene then). Jil's return could just be a return to mediocrity. After doing some reading it seemed that the first iteration of her menswear collection wasn't that big of a hit anyways, so this collection shouldn't come as a surprise (imo).

I definitely get a jil vibe from it but its the shitty old jil on ebay kind. I feel +J was much better than this even if +J wasn't even trying to push many boundaries.

Edited by baconzilla

I definitely get a jil vibe from it but its the shitty old jil on ebay kind. I feel +J was much better than this even if +J wasn't even trying to push many boundaries.

Well, 'shitty old jil on ebay' pieces are from the era Jil was designing herself....

This is unmistakeably Jil Sander but what looked fresh in the past does not hold the same interest in the present.

Granted everyone will always want simple minimal pieces, I feel Jil will stick to what she knows and not push the boundaries of experimentation that Raf did.

To her credit though a lot of SS13 shows are channeling that old Jil vibe