house music

shagnscoob

im in san miguel de allende in guanajuato mexico, and the only thing to do at night is to go to bars. since i got here, i was reexposed to electronic music once again (i used to be WAY into trance) but this time its what i think is called house music. ive heard the term long before, but now im not sure if im using it correctly.

the only artist i can use as an example is enigma. basically it seems like dj's here just make their own stuff up using other songs and stuff...

what are your top picks for house music?

House music is actually very broad genre and includes numerous sub-genres. Here are some samples:

Francois K for classic deep house with a tribal beats interlaced. He used to throw some of the best sunday afternoon parties at Vinyl (NYC) called Body and Soul from 3pm-midnight. Checkout Body and Soul Vol1-3.

Miguel Migs and anything off of Naked Music Records (SF). Deep vocal house.

Danny Teneglia. Dark, nasty tribal house at NYCs Arc club formerly known as Vinyl. At times, sleazy. Check out his global undergound #1. Starts off with Seduction of Orpheus (Hooj Choons, 2000), amazing record.

Scott Henry. Pioneer of the DC scene. Started the Buzz parties at the Capital Ballroom.

Charles Feelgood. Baltimore's own house DJ. Used to play at the old Fever parties.

Terry Mullen. Chicago DJ. Acid house.

There are so many house sounds out there. Listen to as much as you can. And then figure out what you love. Cheers!

NYC:

Larry Levan, David Mancuso, Tom Moulton, Joe Claussell, Francois K. Danny Krivit, Timmy Regisford, MAW (Little Louie & Kenny Dope), Blaze, Pal Joey, Todd Terry, Miss Honey Dijon, David Morales, Armand Van Heldan, Metro Area

Chicago:

Ron Hardy, Frankie Knuckles, Paul Johnson, Derrick Carter, Cajmere aka Green Velvet, Terry Mullan, Anthony Nicholson, Greenskeepers, No Assembly Firm (Justin Long & Dan X), Iz & Diz, Gene Farris, Sadar

Detroit:

Kenny Dixon aka Moodyman, Theo Parish, Carl Craig

Atlanta:

Kai Alice

California:

Mark Farina, Marcus Wyatt, Miguel Migs

party rocker dj's: dj diplo (hollertronix), dj bobbito aka cucumber slice, dj language, z-trip, dj radar, cut chemist, dj babu, jazzy jeff, dj spinna, rich medina, coldcut, citzen kane, tommy sunshine, too many dj's, q-bert, mixmaster mike, dj shadow, dj numark, prince paul, dj am (I guess...lol)