Margiela seems like a difficult brand to represent through H&M. To me a lot of Margiela pieces rely on the perversion of classic garments in their tailoring and construction, and I can't fathom how they'll do that with an H&M capsule collection without coming off as cheap or just regular H&M clothes "with a quirky seam."

fuuuuuuckkkk, despite the obvious fact that margiela has fallen off as others have mentioned, margiela would be extremely difficult to do through a company that is known for cheap construction and quality. Not impressed....

am i the only one who doesn't get what the point of these collaborations are? The pieces from the previous ones -- now granted they are obviously better pieces than typical h&m stuff but are they worthy of their collaborators? Maybe I'm just a "glass half empty" kind of person but instead of seeing these collaborations as something taking fashion to the next level, I can only see them as the diluting or dumbing down of the designer houses involved.

They are purely business moves, but the point to the designers seems pretty obvious. It's a chance to make something different (read: flippant) without any of the responsibility of their serious stuff, and make a load of extra money doing it. And people like having slightly more interesting products for cheap.

am i the only one who doesn't get what the point of these collaborations are? The pieces from the previous ones -- now granted they are obviously better pieces than typical h&m stuff but are they worthy of their collaborators? Maybe I'm just a "glass half empty" kind of person but instead of seeing these collaborations as something taking fashion to the next level, I can only see them as the diluting or dumbing down of the designer houses involved.

marketing

marketing

i understand that motivation for certain brands but there are some houses out there that are die hard hold-outs for their vision and exclusivity and I thought Lanvin was one. I was surprised by that one. You know you'll never see an h&m and hermes collaboration. Margiela i'm not so surprised by.

i understand that motivation for certain brands but there are some houses out there that are die hard hold-outs for their vision and exclusivity and I thought Lanvin was one. I was surprised by that one. You know you'll never see an h&m and hermes collaboration. Margiela i'm not so surprised by.

As someone who was and somewhat still is quite into Lanvin and Margiela I have to agree. I mean MMM do logo tees and have branded storefronts now so...Lanvin has just become pure bullshit though.

people go on and on about how certain designers would never do so and so like they are some sort of holy figure, but they are continually proven wrong - at the end of the day money still talks to the majority. i wonder how much you'd have to throw at poell...

Edited by conqueror

people go on and on about how certain designers would never do so and so like they are some sort of holy figure, but they are continually proven wrong - at the end of the day money still talks to the majority of people. i wonder how much you'd have to throw at poell...

Margiela has left the company for a while now and it is now owned by Renzo Rosso. In other words the change in direction, design and management is very much in line with that dude way of doing thing.

Margiela has left the company for a while now and it is now owned by Renzo Rosso. In other words the change in direction, design and management is very much in line with that dude way of doing thing.

you know what i mean though, perhaps i should have said 'design house' instead of designer.

you know what i mean though, perhaps i should have said 'design house' instead of designer.

At CCP the design house and designer are the same and I definitely don't see him as being out there for money he was born with anyway.

I think it's good-- all these H&M collabs are great, actually.

Yves Saint Laurent said something like high fashion should be for everyone, not just the wealthy haute couture snobs, and these collabs allow for everyone to take part. (on that note, you can see how YSL has really derailed from Yves' intentions)

judging the pieces themselves, aside from the politics of fashion and fandome, some stuff is dope. all of it way better than typical H&M. most of it is meh-- but then, is there really anything that's groundbreaking nowadays?

Edited by acerbicb

• 3 months later...