longboards are for dirty hippies and other unsavory types

am i right?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. am i right?

• yes, longboards are as bad as rollerblades
    • shut the fuck up

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...

i went back to college and fuck me, it's like a late 90s time capsule up in here. longboards everywhere. every once in a while, you see someone on rollerblades, and even less often, someone on rollerskates. rollerskates! not to mention, 90% of the longboarders have no business on any sort of mobile board. pushing mongo and shit, doing the heisman every time they push off. pushing like the concrete is hot lava... you know what i'm talking about.

it's a big campus, so i'm not necessarily knocking these people for seeking out alternate forms of transportation to and from classes. for my major, most of my classes are nearly 2 miles away from my dorm, and that adds up to a lot of time spent walking per day. fuck a longboard though. i brought my skateboard.

• 3 months later...

Haven't posted in a couple years, I think... but hey, what a perfect opportunity. Since my last post I began working for a longboard company in NYC. I'm sure many of you have seen kooks all over the city whipping around on Bustin Boards....maybe. Check em out at http://bustinboards.com/. I actually just designed the decks on the front page there, the EQ and the Boombox. They're primarily downhill/sliding focused decks but are just fine for pushing around the city. We're about to release a 35-inch "skateboard"/tech slider with wheel wells built into the concave that will function as a dope ollie-able city cruiser (that's what I'll be using it as...I hate hard wheels). It'll fit 65mm wheels on Indy 169s--more carve than you've ever gotten on a skateboard but I've seen a handful of people tre-flip on it on my setup. Anyway, anything that gets you around the city without wasting time and money on public transport is good by me. Keep the hate coming. I'd be happy to take some of you skateboarders down some 40mph+ runs in Jersey or 50mph+ on Bear Mountain and we'll see how that short wheelbase treats you there. Around the city, kicks are great, but I still prefer soft wheels for keeping up with traffic.

why do longboarders keep thinking anyone is debating "technical" or "performance" points? I don't know how to make this more clear...longboarding has a substantially geek status vibe to their "culture". Nobody cares if you can or can't do handplant slipper slides on a 40deg decline at 50mph, it's that you guys do it in fucking socks and sandals and arnette swingers and rasta tank tops and shit. You aren't going to convince anyone here that it's a "cool" thing.

dealwithitdoggifh.gif

Edited by OkayOkay

Most any skater who does anything but cruise around looking like a goofball wears skate shoes. I don't anticipate convincing you of anything. You clearly have your mind made up. There are other people on this board, though, and 40% of them think you should shut the fuck up. There are more business types rolling down the street on their way to meetings than there are frat boys in flip flops around here. And more than that it's just kids who have fun playing in traffic or bombing hills nearby, and yea, very few of them give a rat's ass what they look like while doing it.

There are plenty of skateboarders out there with studded belts and spikes coming out of their shoes as well. I've sent a few of them to local skate shops, thanking the heavens they weren't ending up on a longboard...we're poorly represented enough as it is. Point being, there are dipshits everywhere.

Doesn't really matter what you ride in the end. If you're riding a skateboard, long or short, you're going to end up with your face on the street looking like a kook at some point. And if you're worried about how cool you look the whole time, well, you most likely don't.

why do longboarders keep thinking anyone is debating "technical" or "performance" points? i don't know how to make this more clear...longboarding has a substantially geek status vibe to their "culture". nobody cares if you can or can't do handplant slipper slides on a 40deg decline at 50mph, it's that you guys do it in fucking socks and sandals and arnette swingers and rasta tank tops and shit. you aren't going to convince anyone here that it's a "cool" thing.

Not saying that the above description fits the bill of every long boarder out there but can I have a go...

Fedora wearing,

not had a haircut or wash in 18 months

tank top with openings about 20 inches wide,

Flannel shirt

skinny black or grey jeans

and f**ed vans era...

That's your skaterboy...

part 2 :don't give a rats ass about you trying to land a 15 stair or sliding down a rail...

X cuse me but is that a cool thing, losing yer balls on the rails or your teeth at the end of the stairs...

I could continue this argument until hell freezes over..

Do what you like, if you look sideways all the better...