longboards are for dirty hippies and other unsavory types

am i right?  

293 members have voted

1. 1. am i right?

• yes, longboards are as bad as rollerblades
    • shut the fuck up

Has anyone heard this song, cracked me up first time I heard it.

(you must sing it)

Long haired hippies,

Unsanitary species,

Rarely do their laundry,

Strongly smell of feces

i longboard... well, actually, it is a beach-cruiser.

why the ire?

i think it captures the lineage of surfing to skating more completely than technical street skating which to me seems to appeal more to an accountant's sensibility.

landed kickflips: 2

landed heelflips: 1

landed ______: ___

for me, it will always be about speed and carving, not standing in a flat lot spending more time off the board than on.

me + "other unsavory types"; together again

I am going to buy a sweet long board as soon as I can afford it, Im getting on and my knees can't take the beating I gave them when I was street skating in the 80's & 90's.

Evolution....

70's: rocking a skinny plasic stick, bombing down the hills

80's: Fat stick, wide flouro trucks & wheels, acid drops quarter pipes, bones brigade

90's: Skinny stick, small wheels, flips, mini ramps, all skate buddies went overseas

00's: Old Bastard.......need long board for cruzing

^^ Cheers man. Long boards arn't cheap huh, shit. There are these sweet locally hand made ones at my skateshop, they are like 4 hundy +!!

Its funny I was walking to the shop today and saw a Trust-a-farian / hippie skating a long board. At the corner he had to stop, pick up the board and face it the other way, then keep cruzing......shakily. Classic, good on him though

i longboard... well, actually, it is a beach-cruiser.

why the ire?

i think it captures the lineage of surfing to skating more completely than technical street skating which to me seems to appeal more to an accountant's sensibility.

landed kickflips: 2

landed heelflips: 1

landed ______: ___

for me, it will always be about speed and carving, not standing in a flat lot spending more time off the board than on.

me + "other unsavory types"; together again

but if you look at street skating that way youre missing the point. i love to cruise on my short board, but i can turn better, stop faster, and jump over things that get in my way.

i can also fuck up my back trying kf bs nb slides.... someone pass the morphine....

yep, hate em. i lived in burlington vermont for awhile and i definently got my share of longboard exposure but it wasn't until i moved to new york that i saw my favorite longboard happening...some yuppie piece of shit who obvious was having his first longboard (or anything with wheels) experience (on 7th ave near 23rd st) lose control of his board causing him to fall and his board to go into traffic (and it moves pretty quick on 7th ave) and get hit by a passing cabbie who then stopped and yelled obscenities in some language unknown to me at the fallen rider who got up and made some stupid face while he grabbed his board and all the local youths laughed at him. street justice.

• 1 year later...

Hah, well it looks the pro-longboarders are winning the poll.

I ride a longboard cuz it's a lot more fun that a shortboard to me. And you don't have to push so goddamn often to go a city block.

Anybody who wants to carve should try the Loaded Vanguard. Flexiest board I've ever seen, makes carving amazing. I wanna get one with some Paris Trucks and 3dm Avila wheels.

Edit: Whoops, thread's older than I thought, didn't mean to revive dead threads.

^ You got a point there, but different types of people do seem to go for one over the other. It's kind of like snowboarding vs. surfing. Less defined differences between the equipment, obviously, but the techniques and people who do it are quite different.

Yeah longboards are ridiculous. I came up to college here in a nice town that just so happens to be filled with rich white kids who wear flip flops regardless of season, and all of them have longboards.

If I ever aproach them with my skateboard and ask them skateboarder-to-skateboarder, or so I would hope, they always come with the same story, "Oh yeah bro I skated like back in 5th grade it was pretty cool, but I took a break for a while and now I just longboard."

So needless to say they all fucking suck at riding the things. It's pretty funny to watch them try to stop with their flip flops and end up face planting though.

since my last post in here, ive become a hippie, or other unsavory type. still dont longboard, so i disproved myself.

i think?

whatever... its skateboarding i guess. still think its for kooks.

Isn't that a little bit like arguing the difference between drum and bass and jungle?

i like jungle... dont like drum and bass too much.

I love longboarding. Bombing hills is quite a nice rush....anyone slide here? My set-up: Ladera 38" Respect Randall 180's Bones Swiss bearings Abec 11 Flashback 70's And to the guy up there: Loaded's are fucking overrated..every boy and his mom has one. I can understand if you live in Florida..there are no fucking hills there...

I love longboarding. Bombing hills is quite a nice rush....anyone slide here? My set-up: Ladera 38" Respect Randall 180's Bones Swiss bearings Abec 11 Flashback 70's And to the guy up there: Loaded's are fucking overrated..every boy and his mom has one. I can understand if you live in Florida..there are no fucking hills there...

Loaded Vanguard are the nicest boards I've tried for carving, if there's something better I haven't tried it. Of course it wouldn't be so good for bombing, you need a stiff board for that.

I'm not really into bombing much but I've got a Rayne Hellcat... first board, didn't really know what I was getting into. My current one's a Landyachtz Wedge-Flex with a pretty standard carving setup.