Money ≠ Happiness

jackg

It cracks me up that whenever cost of living is adjusted for NYC the adjustment is made for the parts of Manhatten that the vast majority of New Yorkers could never afford. I know a number of people making rent with relative ease on far less than $160k.

'making rent' isnt the same as 'living comfortably' though

Btw, I agree that lack of money can surely cause stress and unhappiness, but after a livable wage is acheived I think it comes down to personality. There seems to be a spectrum of people with malcontents that will never be happy on one end, and other people who just have a generally happy disposition who seem unaffected. I think most of us fall in between and the lucky teeter more towards happy, and the others get caught up in the chase for something better. At some point we have to settle on our financial standing and focus on what makes us happy (family, freinds, music, art, sports, drinking, etc.). Not saying that a person shouldn't pursue a promotion, but they should be ok with where they are at too.

"A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can do without." - Henry David Thoreau

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...

Not having something isn't what wounds. It's not having when you see others have.

Hannibal: "No! He covets. That is his nature. And how do we begin to covet, Clarice? Do we seek out things to covet? Make an effort to answer now."

Clarice: "No. We just..."

Hannibal: "No. We begin by coveting what we see every day. Don't you feel eyes moving over your body, Clarice? And don't your eyes seek out the things you want?"

I buy something and I become happy for a bit.  Then back to normal quickly.  But then whenever I put on the new thing I got (since I pretty much only buy food and clothes nowadays), I become happy about having the item.

only recently did i begin to really strive for wealth.  i used to have a go with the flow mentality.  then it clicked...life is gonna be fucking expensive in 20-30 years.  what's Aeroplane gonna do when the workforce speeds by with the middle finger out the window? it's not about clothes or cars.  it's about commas on statements.  so i guess, for me, security = happiness

Money will only equal happiness once you've acquired enough imo. When you have enough to be able to take care of your family and yourself, than that takes all the worries away from me and I will be content.

• 3 weeks later...

"We conclude that lack of money brings both emotional misery and low life evaluation; similar results were found for anger. Beyond âˆ¼$75,000 in the contemporary United States, however, higher income is neither the road to experienced happiness nor the road to the relief of unhappiness or stress."

LINK

Skimmed through the research paper and seems like they forgot an important variable: location...

$75,000 in cities like London, Paris or Tokyo will make you feel pretty miserable

http://blogs.wsj.com/economics/2010/09/07/what-salary-buys-happiness-in-your-city/

Well, if you make $30,000 and live in the United States, go for the money. It will help you on both fronts. In other countries the same is true, but the actual number will vary.

Edited by brother teresa

C'mon, let's not get carried away, sure you need say $1000 more for your apt in, say NYC, but the rest is relatively cheap. Most of these "arrghghhghgh this city is expensive!!" surveys are made with baby boomer lifestyle planning, no one gives a fuck about that in 2014.

Edited by Fuuma

C'mon, let's not get carried away, sure you need say $1000 more for your apt in, say NYC, but the rest is relatively cheap. Most of these "arrghghhghgh this city is expensive!!" surveys are made with baby boomer lifestyle planning, no one gives a fuck about that in 2014.

it's because these people don't have hobbies

Just paid cash for a new 4runner. It takes me to the mountains to snowboard or camp. Just getting away from people and the world.

This makes me very happy.

Money doesn't buy happiness, it buys things that enable potential happy feels. 

Edited by EG562