Money ≠ Happiness

jackg

I have found this sort of topic increasingly interesting of late, highly recommended viewing on kinda the same topic: Oslo, August 31st.

there is a long discussion in the film about happiness and what it means to the protagonist and his presumption that only "moron's" could ever be happy or content with their lives.

People need to get off this hedonistic treadmill, and start living their lives. Dreams are made from within, don't let societal values diminish your core values. True happiness is not achieved by obtaining material goods, but rather it is achieved by realizing the immense wealth surrounding you...

Your family, faith, friends, and your passions (expressing oneself). If you want to do something, DO IT before it's too late.

The true wealth of life is to give away yourself. Now I don't mean this in the sense that one should sell ones body to gain respect, notoriety, etc . What I mean is to EXTEND yourself towards others. Direct your attention to the hearts of others and extend your passions upon them, truly open their eyes and inspire them.

They say money can't buy happiness, and part of me wants to say it can. It's all about HOW you utilize the money that matters. Instead of always giving to yourself, deposit your wealth of knowledge into the minds of the youth, and invest your time in educating those around you.

I personally have been through plenty of tough times relating to financial stress, and through those turbulent times it really allowed me to accept the fact and enjoy my surroundings. It really opened my eyes with regards to who my true colleagues were, and those who were captivated by the values embedded by society. Because of the lack of funding, it brought me closer to my family because they became my support structure and I realized that when all the money is gone, you still have your core values which is faith and family.

Wealth should not be portrayed by how much of a stack you have, but rather the wealth that lies within. Wealth should not be governed by the size of ones pocket, but rather the size of ones heart.

One other thing I realized and perhaps some of you can attest to this, but it came to my attention that the people who you expect to help you don't, but the people who hardly know you are the ones who are willing to lend a helping hand and create a lasting effect on your life.

Edited by xArtlessartx

lol Dj. I know you're just trolling, but you can earn stacks by building a portfolio around relationships, and building strong connections.

For me, because I've been through a lot, my stacks revolve around people as opposed to the physical paper that we're all so obsessed over. I'd rather be robbed of my money than to be robbed of my experiences with the people I care about. When I'm dead and gone, that money means shit, but my inspiration upon others will last them a lifetime.

Winning or losing are not the point to me anymore. What matters is what lies between them, and that is the lessons you've gained from both. The real merit is knowledge and experience. Money should only be a reward of your experiences, not the goal.

Being "rich" should be a by-product and not the mission.

Edited by xArtlessartx

yeah to be honest i agree, I feel the article misses the point. I don't think Hemingway is refereeing to something born out of childhood suffering, but instead something more existential. Something more to do with the things that intelligent people will consider and think about but that the common man might just take for granted or ignore completely.

Interesting article. I think these two points (the article and yours) kind of connect though. Highly intelligent children act weird and are deemed the outsiders because they are able to comprehend and become interested in certain subjects/activities that the average kids do not (therefore uninterested), just as highly intelligent adults tend to have the capability or curiosity and urge to analyze/understand certain things that the average people are ignorant to or fail to acknowledge.

Also most of the intelligent people I know and work with tend to have some kind of depression. They appear to be overthinking in perspectives of their family and friends because what the average men's "answer" or solutions to whatever problems they may have are usually already thought of and exhausted. To the average people there shouldn't be any point going further into discussing certain subjects (which in most cases they fail to comprehend, or just feels impractical anyway). This is fine and tolerable for day-to-day social interactions, but when a person is surrounded by spouse, family and friends who all fail to understand or identify with that person, then whether it'd be joy, happiness, troubles or sadness the person cannot share it with his social circles, and it's easier to get depressed and much difficult to be happy.

That's a stupid of thinking about intelligent people.

Here's my theory:

Intelligent people are better than everyone else.

Therefore they have the potential for opportunities.

The failed realization that one has not achieved one's full potential leads to depression.

Reason why intelligent people don't try to acheive their full potential?

Fear of failure.

Edited by djrajio

would rather have them be suicide doors

because depression

Interesting topic. I might comment on one aspect that has annoyed me for some time:

Our fixation with "deathbed regrets"

It seems funny that we think our life should be lived in the way that we would want to live it just when we are dying.

Yes, our perspective may well change when death nears, but that doesn't mean that deathbed wisdom is actually any more "wise" or worth pursuing than, say, saturday morning wisdom.

It may be that at the moment of dying one regrets not spending enough time with their children, but for decades that same person made the choice of working instead. Had he chosen to work less he would have acted against his preferences at the time. He may have been happy on his deathbed but miserable for the 30 years prior.

Actually, the last person who should give advice on how to live is someone who is dying. The things you are likely to pay attention to on your deathbed are not the things you generally pay attention to in day to day life. When you are dying you become acutely aware of what you leave behind - your children, your legacy. That does not mean that being constantly acutely aware of those things would lead you to somehow "live better".

Yes, I'm trolling a bit, but still.

That's a stupid of thinking about intelligent people.

Here's my theory:

Intelligent people are better than everyone else.

Therefore they have the potential for opportunities.

The failed realization that one has not achieved one's full potential leads to depression.

Reason why intelligent people don't try to acheive their full potential?

Fear of failure.

While I see some truth in your theory, I must add that although intelligent people by default have more perceived potential than others, the world is nevertheless dominated by the average people; the highly intelligent ones are on the far side of the bell curve and are, for most of the time, considered the odd ones. the vast majority of the so called opportunities are often presented to those who are average, or slightly above - those who climb the social ladder much more easily than the intelligent ones.

realizing one's full potential or not is just one aspect of obtaining happiness or depression (i'd like to think); the problem remains for the intelligent ones is that whether they fear the failure or not, the odds are pretty much always against them in terms of the so called mainstream success (money, fame, girls, what have you) and they can see it, very few intellects receive the recognition or so called success, at least not proportionate to those with average intelligence. And that I think is the main reason why it is more difficult for intelligent people to be happy. This is also why i think IQ doesn't mean anything when it comes to quality of life, there are way too many other things one should factor in to have a happy, fulfilling life.

I'm having a private party at my place tonight.

I spent a lot of money on booze to impress the bitches.

I also conveniently laid out my collection of expensive sport watches to impress the bitches.

Bitches love that shit.

Then they drink all my booze, say they call but never do, and I cry myself to sleep.

Alone.