Money ≠ Happiness

jackg

Can we get a rich persons thoughts on this? Doesn't seem really valid if we don't.

RandR??

I dropped 250K today (it's okay, it's part of an options play) so I went home to eat some pasta with an eggplant marinara sauce, except when I opened my tupperware it was actually chicken cacciatore, and I ate it anyways, sadly.

considering getting a new 2013 porsche boxster S, but I could also wait 2 years and get a new Audi R8 spyder.

Edited by jackg

that statement is too absolute. money is essential for happiness up until a certain point when basic needs are covered and certain luxuries we are afforded like hot water, car, air conditioning etc.

also most of the time, not all, money and success/accomplishment in your career field or "hustle" go hand in hand and that definitely contributes to happiness. and happiness is still happiness whether it be for a night or 10 years it still counts

so yeah, money = happiness

the statement isn't meant to be taken completely at face value, obviously there is a level of financial income needed to satisfy some basic human needs and provide comfort to a certain extent, but it was more about how you progress from that point forwards.

it just perplexes me that statements like those 5 dying regrets and heaps of other similar life empowering comments fly round cyberspace but seemingly run against the grain of a capitalist society in which success is codified in such a way that money always plays a part (if not the biggest part).

i feel like we love the sentiment of those statements but are too caught up in how society expects us to lead our lives to truly let them influence us.

Edited by jackg

"I saw a lot of other people at Apple, especially after we went public, how it changed them.", Steve said in a recorded interview. "And a lot of people thought that they had to start being rich. I mean, a few people went out and bought Rolls Royces, and they bought homes, and their wives got plastic surgery. I saw these people who were really nice simple people turn into these bizarro people. And I made a promise to myself to myself, I said I'm not gonna let this money ruin my life." - Steve Jobs

mickeys uncle is a millionaire. dude has 2 lambos (that he bought within a month) a ferrari and dozens of classics too.

point is, he's rich and he's smart but he's also crazy, bipolar, paranoid and addicted to oyxcotin. when you can basically do the things you only ever thought was never possible does your mind not compute. so you become crazy. all rich ppl are batshit.

so in a way yes, money does equal happiness, but invokes a beast of a psycho….

mickeys uncle is a millionaire. dude has 2 lambos (that he bought within a month) a ferrari and dozens of classics too.

point is, he's rich and he's smart but he's also crazy, bipolar, paranoid and addicted to oyxcotin. when you can basically do the things you only ever thought was never possible does your mind not compute. so you become crazy. all rich ppl are batshit.

I don't agree w/ this at all. There are plenty of rich people I know that are perfectly sane.

you dont know shit

There's one of the Murakami stories where the main character is an average joe, and he meets an old friend who has become a famous actor and zips around Tokyo in a Maserati, fucks high end hookers and stuff - there's this quote by him that sticks with me, where he says that rich people don't have good taste, they don't need to have good taste. That and the part where the two friends meet up and eat at Shakey's Pizza on Omotesando, lol.

When I was poor, I thought that was funny, because I thought I knew what I wanted to spend all this hypothetical money on if I had it; once thinking about it deeply though, it really was true.

Edited by dismalfuture

work = happiness, i could never sit at home and collect welfare checks

and let's face it, if you don't come from a upper-middle class background then yes money = happiness (to some extent)

i don't need much to be happy; a jawn or two, shelter, food and some discretionary money to be spent on alcohol

did you have to link treadmill to a wikipedia entry of treadmill?

then is hedonism is a viable school of thought if modern day pursuits are undermined into a treadmill?

how to escape treadmill??

Edited by MissingNo.

Man that American Hearts post just blew my mind. Truth is I've never had to scrape by, even when money was tight it was cause I couldn't fulfill my wants, not needs. I have a skewed appreciation for money, but I've always been good at making it (just not managing it). I mean, I'm not kopping RO sneaks by any means but I've never had to decide between eating and paying the utility bill, and truth is...I don't know if I'm actually happy. I think a little more $ would make me happier, but I do get lots of satisfaction from not desiring a huge house or an expensive car. I don't really long for anything on that level, and I think I find some contentment with that. I do want a stacked retirement account tho, maybe more than anything. If not thinking about $ makes me feel ok now, I def think I'll be happy not thinking about it when I'm 70. Broke and old is a fucking horrifying concept.

i feel like one of the most telling things is when you're with anyone - rich or otherwise - and all they can talk about is like just shit they own. like things lying around their house that they bought. it feels so tragic to me? I don't know man there's just like this one kid at my college who has no social life whatever but sits on twitter absolutely all day talking about his apple products and ironically how great or not great aspects of social media apps he's downloaded for them are. he also dresses in bright purple skinny chinos with boat shoes and ray bans so maybe this isn't a completely unbiased evaluation of his existence eheheh... although i remember on christmas day all he was talking about was not getting as much money from his family as he wanted wow man ppl like this break my heart