canada :: toronto :: general

ahk1979

don't know why you asked specifically Toronto SFers, but for me, i buy pretty much buy about 80-90% of my stuff from the US. especially now with the exchange rate, stuff is just so much cheaper over there ,although some companies have started to change their pricing so that the canadian price is similar to american one, something they didn't do in the past (for exemple, 2 years ago when i bought my ipod, it was sold 420 $ + tax here, but costed me only 380$ with shipping and taxes included cause i bought it from the US, but now, the prices are about the same, 250$USD Vs 300$CDN for a 30 gigs). how often, it really depends, i usually try to hit new york or at least Vermont every couple months so i don't have to buy from the internet too much so it's difficult to say.

I keep it pretty local.. I buy the odd piece from eBay but 90% of the stuff is from Nomad, Holts, TNT, Lileo, Uncle Otis, Delphic, H&M, Club Monaco, Banana Republic and especially any local designers through various avenues....

off topic.. those Krane coats and bags by Ken Chow are AMAZING.

It's hardcore japanese denim that doesn't have the best T dot representation. Klaxon Howl has Canes, and LVC. Nomad has Nom de Guerre and has had Imperial. Tnt has APC and April 77. Delphic has Acne and Julian Red. You can buy Nudies in every store now. I think the one thing we're missing is a BIG type store. That and a Dior store.

does delphic have the whole line of julian red? looking for a pair of detroits for a long long long time

back to the question, toronto streetwear scene I think has up their game compared to few years ago, lot of new stores popping up (nomad, ransom, klaxon, etc), but is still behind some cities in terms of denim selection, that limited shit, stuff like that.

Toronto doesn't have the demand for a store like BIG to survive...

I'm even surprised that a store like Klaxon Howl has managed to stay open for this long....

Me too. Toronto is definitely not the place for Japanese denim.

I'd like to see some other stores carrying more esoteric/high-up menswear -- right now there's Holt Renfrew, and Noir, I guess?

Tell me more about Noir - not familiar with that one...

It's a fashion concept shop. They plan to have different pieces all the time without being locked in to certain brands. When I was there I think I remember seeing some Junya Watanabe and Yohji Yahamoto stuff.. The guy there said it would always be changing, and was talking about how skinny jeans are dead even though they didn't really take off in Toronto (which is true I think aside from the EMO crowd). It's an interesting store, though very expensive it's well worth a look.

i keep hearing this too. queen east is the new queen west is what everyone's saying. my girlfriend lives in the east end and has been saying this for a while. apparently leslieville's the spot where a lot of things are starting to happen. based on what i hear, most of the shops there are selling stuff by local designers. i'm going to try to check it out sometime this week.

back to the topic... i don't buy much from the US, but most of the things people are saying in this thread are true. there are a few really awesome stores, like delphic, klaxon and nomad that cover most of my bases. also, any other toronto sf'ers notice that nudies are freakin' everywhere? i'm partly guilty too (although in my defense i've had a pair of nudies for much longer than i remember seeing them pop up) but i can barely leave the house without seeing somebody wearing almost brand new raw nudies, usually slim jims. i never see anyone wearing other raw jeans though, aside from like two other dudes i've seen walking around in imperials.

one thing toronto's REALLY bad for though is dress shoes and boots. there's almost nowhere out there, at least that i know of, to buy decent ones.

I've always been surprised at how poor Holts is for boots/shoes. They seem to have very little beyond a couple "high-end department store staples"... maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place?

as an American living in Canada, I buy stuff and have it shipped to my US address, then have it shipped to me here in Canada. That's the only way to avoid outrageous duty fees. it's pretty crazy how inflated prices are in Canada, esp. considering how close the CDN/US $ are. Things are almost always 30%+ more expensive here, even after the currency equalization.

I've always been surprised at how poor Holts is for boots/shoes. They seem to have very little beyond a couple "high-end department store staples"... maybe I'm just looking in the wrong place?

as an American living in Canada, I buy stuff and have it shipped to my US address, then have it shipped to me here in Canada. That's the only way to avoid outrageous duty fees. it's pretty crazy how inflated prices are in Canada, esp. considering how close the CDN/US $ are. Things are almost always 30%+ more expensive here, even after the currency equalization.

The only way I order items is to my house in Florida or to family in the states. The duty is killer.

Any more info on Queen East? I've heard quite a bit about it too but its very superficial much like everyone else has heard.

I have to agree that KRANE is pretty great stuff. I saw it at delphic. Where else can it be found?

I'm guess I don't understand the appeal of BiG. To me it seems if you have one brand of Japanese denim, you got them all.

I'm pretty happy with what is avaliable in Toronto, albeit its no NYC.

They are selling Krane at Nomad, and Uncle Otis had a few coats.. I'm not sure how they were selling, but they are constructed very well. Riri M8s everywhere, thick waxed cotton with german military blankets cut into linings. The sizes start at 36 which is great for us skinny dudes..

I gotta say I'm pretty happy with the state of things here in the city also. Queen East is a fun spot, though there's a Starbucks there now so we know what that means. I haven't heard about any new clothing shops but I'll check it out..

I heard that.. I don't know where to look either. There has to be more out there.

There's a lot more offered in Toronto than in most US cities.

Torontonians just tend to wine more than most.

Start enjoying your city, and stop pretending you're from NYC or want to move there.

Toronto would be very cool if most of you didnt suck so much.

I love about 5% of toronto, but i don't know if that counts much coming from me.

I hate a lot... so maybe about 10% of that city is cool.

There's a lot more offered in Toronto than in most US cities.

Torontonians just tend to wine more than most.

Start enjoying your city, and stop pretending you're from NYC or want to move there.

Toronto would be very cool if most of you didnt suck so much.

I love about 5% of toronto, but i don't know if that counts much coming from me.

I hate a lot... so maybe about 10% of that city is cool.

I have to agree with this man. Toronto is a great city with some pretty exciting gear.

While we are on the topic and I have the attention of so many local,

Where do you guys like to eat/drink/chill etc.

I could start another thread on this.....

Toronto needs to step up in the food department.

Shit sucks.... Montreal is where the foods at re. Canada.

actually theres good oriental food in toronto... but that shit makes me sick.

Toronto needs to step up in the food department.

Shit sucks.... Montreal is where the foods at re. Canada.

actually theres good oriental food in toronto... but that shit makes me sick.

???

I don't get your last quote, actually theres good oriental food in toronto...but that shit makes me sick? so is it good or not?