ahk1979

canada :: toronto :: general

thrift shops in toronto?

i can think of a few although i dont know their names but i need more/the good ones to check out

Not exactly thrift, but Caberet is my favourite vintage store in Toronto. Also run by the nicest man in Toronto.

I think I'm coming up to Toronto for the weekend of April 5.

Where should I say? Relatively cheap and nice. In downtown, I guess.

I know nothing about toronto but i think i wanna check out nomad

word just holla when u know the details and maybe u can meetup with some toronto peeps

id say nomad is def worth a visit, basically for fashion the whole queen W area and yorkville are the prime spots

i just found out that toronto is 8 hours away from here

uhhhhhhh

i thought it was more like 4

damn

I think I'm coming up to Toronto for the weekend of April 5.

Where should I say? Relatively cheap and nice. In downtown, I guess.

I know nothing about toronto but i think i wanna check out nomad

toronto sucks for shopping! don't waist your time! nomad is good, but just email them with the stuff you are interested in and have them send it to you.

my exroommate is at univ. of toronto.

i kopp cluthing in nyc and tokyo. i just wanna see the store.

toronto sucks for shopping? i dont know where you shop, but um, maybe you suck. there's some decent (and better than decent) shit around if you look.

every city sucks if u compare to tokyo, NYC, paris etc..

but seans right, theres worse cities for shopping in N.America..

calgary for example .. there's like one block that isnt 100% bums and pawn shops

herp you're in vermont arent you?

that's a pretty long drive i've done it a few times, probably not worth it to jsut check out one store ..

nah

my boy is in toronto

he's doing a phd in religion at u of t

and to see still

yes homo

(10).

toronto sucks for shopping? i dont know where you shop, but um, maybe you suck. there's some decent (and better than decent) shit around if you look.

your right. i just wouldn't make an 8hr trip to shop in Toronto. the shopping has been getting better. i would still rather shop in Montreal.

There are plenty of worse cities. I actually know people in Hamilton who would prefer to travel over to Buffalo for a day of shopping. Seriously.

I know there was a thread about moving to the big city a while ago, but since this is specifically the Toronto thread, I feel like it's better asking here: What should I know about moving to Toronto? The girlfriend and I are serious about moving there in September; she's most likely going to be at York as well, and the commute is currently kicking my ass. She has a really well-paying summer job over at Toyota in Cambridge in the summer, and I've got a fair amount to put towards things too from my old Stelco job, so I'm thinking around $700 to an iffy ceiling of $900 a month for us should be more than enough. Obviously the waterfront is out due to the long commute, and we would have mostly all the furniture we'd need anyways. I'm thinking I should start looking soonish since school's going to be wrapping up in a bit, but I figured there'd be a good base of knowledge here to work off of.

Is that $900 a month each or total?

You can get a pretty nice one bedroom in most of the city for around a $1000.

Where do you work again? Is it Yorkville?

Things to think about:

What's more important? Your distance from your job/her school, or where most of the interesting shopping/eating/drinking happens? Do you drive? Will you be TTCing it?

A shorter commute leads to a happier life. It's proven.

The farther away you get from downtown, the cheaper rent gets too.

You already know shopping I'm sure.

Most of Toronto is very safe, compared to Hamilton, so that won't really be a worry.

$900 a month could probably be pushed to $1000, reasonably. That'd be combined, so $500 each. I work on Bloor right near Yorkville, and I'm at Seneca @ York right now for school.

I think it's safe to say proximity to our school would be most important, since the interesting social aspects of the city wouldn't be a concern for the majority of the week. She'd be looking for a job near York or possibly at Yorkdale, but a bit of a commute isn't out of the question for her, so a job near where I am isn't out of the question if it's a decent one. Neither of us drive, so it would be two TTC passes every month.

I'm actually a bit surprised to hear it's safer than Hamilton generally. Maybe it's just that everybody I know here is terrified of the big city and plays up the bad news.

newaes: theres dope onebedrooms to be had around bathurst/st clair for 1000-1200 a month. old low rise apartment building with rad heat to keep the hydro down in the winter. also, st clairs has an elevated street car for the east/west commute and the bathurst corner has a subway station for the U line which takes you north/south for school. you can get downtown for work in 10 minutes.

If you believe that Toronto has horrible shopping, please never come to the Maritimes. It's a dry, sad business out here

It doesn't have horrible shopping. It just has a limited, but decent selection that's reasonably overpriced.

i think alot of stores are carrying the same shit right now which might result in limited selection despite the fact that alot of good places have opened recently. on that note, im dissapointed by the fred perry flagship and i think ill be hating on stussy when it opens.

Most of Toronto is very safe, compared to Hamilton, so that won't really be a worry.

right. there really is a ton of problems with gangs, kids getting shot outside of schools and innocent people in downtown hamilton getting caught in crossfires and dying.

oh wait...

right. there really is a ton of problems with gangs, kids getting shot outside of schools and innocent people in downtown hamilton getting caught in crossfires and dying.

oh wait...

jesus. do you work for the SUN?

I use chris at Toni & Guy. I'm not asian however.

Who knows where I can get a quality straight shave DT?

I know, way to resurrect an old thread.

straight shaves are a tough one around here. theres a barber shop in the four seasons hotel in yorkville. i think its 20-25. really good shave though. dont let the lady touch you, if the old guy aint there then leave. currados on bathurst @ queen is the best place to go but if hes busy he wont sit you for just a shave. its 20 for the shave and he will tell you about how good the hookers in sicily are or about some girl who gave him a blowjob for change one day. the dude is fucking wicked. probably the best barber experience youll get around here. the old guys in the portugese shop at college/ossington will charge you 16 i think, and they give good shaves too, but theres something lacking in the atmosphere. maybe its cause they wont say a word to you if you only speak english. dude at blood and bandages down the street says hell be doing straight shaves once he gets someone else to take the second chair but for now its a no go.

ive walked into every shop in the downtown area asking for shaves and this is all ive found. i say go to corrados. dude is wicked.

Alright so finally I am prepared to make my move within the next month, although I still don't have a job or an apartment lined up I have enough money saved up to help get me through the turnover.

If there is anyone on this board currently living in Toronto that doesn't mind adding me to messenger to answer the shitty little questions I have on occasion that would be totally unreal.

As far as locations go I'm really leaning towards the annex, but it seems to be a bit on the pricier side which isn't great for someone who doesn't have a job lined up. I also don't really look forward to spending $900 on a 1 bedroom when I could get a spectucular 2 bedroom with a roommate for $1200 or so.

Those of you that live in Toronto, what do you suggest for affordable :

Grocery, Entertainment, Take-out, Various apartment supplies?

dude just holla when you land and theres nuff dudes who will tourguide you. its a pretty hospitable bunch round these parts. youll be welcomed with open arms so long as you aint a total freak.

Alright sounds unreal. The Toronto Meetup thread makes me jealous damn near daily.