canada :: toronto :: general

ahk1979

and if I am not mistaken I walked by a weird goth bar/tattoo parlor called the Velvet Underground when I was in Toronto.

yeah, it's a shitty pseudo goth club on the worst part of queen west.

charlottetown sounds pretty bad. i almost passed through last summer on tour with my band but we ended up missing that show due to a van breakdown and it kind of seems like it's for the better. good luck with your move.

I think Charlottetown is severely overrated. It's a lot more white trash than everyone thinks, people just don't understand it is because EVERYONE HERE is like that.

Seriously though, you've been lurking since September to finally come out of the woodworks and defend this shithole?

on another note :

I found this beautiful apartment but it's just a bit too far out of Toronto for me :(

http://toronto.craigslist.ca/mss/apa/547139950.html

i think you're aiming a bit high. pare down your possessions, save a couple grand, find a room for rent (a perfectly decent one can be had for $550 inclusive) in parkdale; it's gritty, but close to everything that matters and really, toronto's pretty safe. take the first job you can find, find/buy some cheap furniture off craigslist, and you've got yourself a solid base. take it from there.

fuck craigslist for furniture. pay top dollar for a dope bed cause your gonna always gonna need it, then use milkcrates for everything else. i survived for years without real furniture off of milkcrates and discarded wood. and my spot was always fresher than anyone who had an ikea budget.

co-sign. When I moved on-campus first year, we used some of my moving boxes as night stands and shit like that. Works fine.

A lot of good advice is in this thread, and it'll definitely come in handy later on in the year, since the gf and I are looking into getting a place at the start of next school year. You will get used to Toronto very quickly; I lived out by Port Dover (actual town's population: 1000) before living here in Hamilton for the past couple years, and while the HSR is a better transit system (you don't get ripped off), the accessability of Toronto will be hard to ignore. Hamilton feels really small and dead by comparison.

+rep to a few people

fuck craigslist for furniture. pay top dollar for a dope bed cause your gonna always gonna need it, then use milkcrates for everything else. i survived for years without real furniture off of milkcrates and discarded wood. and my spot was always fresher than anyone who had an ikea budget.

Yeah I'm gonna buy a nice bed frame and mattress from ikea. There were some other select items I was gonna get from there also. It's pretty cheap man and used furniture can't really compete. The most important thing is still getting into the city though, I don't need to fill my house with ikea shit in the first week by any means.

• 1 month later...

I think I'm coming up to Toronto for the weekend of April 5.

Where should I say? Relatively cheap and nice. In downtown, I guess.

I know nothing about toronto but i think i wanna check out nomad

I think I'm coming up to Toronto for the weekend of April 5.

Where should I say? Relatively cheap and nice. In downtown, I guess.

I know nothing about toronto but i think i wanna check out nomad

toronto sucks for shopping! don't waist your time! nomad is good, but just email them with the stuff you are interested in and have them send it to you.

calgary for example .. there's like one block that isnt 100% bums and pawn shops

herp you're in vermont arent you?

that's a pretty long drive i've done it a few times, probably not worth it to jsut check out one store ..

toronto sucks for shopping? i dont know where you shop, but um, maybe you suck. there's some decent (and better than decent) shit around if you look.

your right. i just wouldn't make an 8hr trip to shop in Toronto. the shopping has been getting better. i would still rather shop in Montreal.

There are plenty of worse cities. I actually know people in Hamilton who would prefer to travel over to Buffalo for a day of shopping. Seriously.

I know there was a thread about moving to the big city a while ago, but since this is specifically the Toronto thread, I feel like it's better asking here: What should I know about moving to Toronto? The girlfriend and I are serious about moving there in September; she's most likely going to be at York as well, and the commute is currently kicking my ass. She has a really well-paying summer job over at Toyota in Cambridge in the summer, and I've got a fair amount to put towards things too from my old Stelco job, so I'm thinking around $700 to an iffy ceiling of $900 a month for us should be more than enough. Obviously the waterfront is out due to the long commute, and we would have mostly all the furniture we'd need anyways. I'm thinking I should start looking soonish since school's going to be wrapping up in a bit, but I figured there'd be a good base of knowledge here to work off of.

$900 a month could probably be pushed to $1000, reasonably. That'd be combined, so $500 each. I work on Bloor right near Yorkville, and I'm at Seneca @ York right now for school.

I think it's safe to say proximity to our school would be most important, since the interesting social aspects of the city wouldn't be a concern for the majority of the week. She'd be looking for a job near York or possibly at Yorkdale, but a bit of a commute isn't out of the question for her, so a job near where I am isn't out of the question if it's a decent one. Neither of us drive, so it would be two TTC passes every month.

I'm actually a bit surprised to hear it's safer than Hamilton generally. Maybe it's just that everybody I know here is terrified of the big city and plays up the bad news.

newaes: theres dope onebedrooms to be had around bathurst/st clair for 1000-1200 a month. old low rise apartment building with rad heat to keep the hydro down in the winter. also, st clairs has an elevated street car for the east/west commute and the bathurst corner has a subway station for the U line which takes you north/south for school. you can get downtown for work in 10 minutes.

i think alot of stores are carrying the same shit right now which might result in limited selection despite the fact that alot of good places have opened recently. on that note, im dissapointed by the fred perry flagship and i think ill be hating on stussy when it opens.

Most of Toronto is very safe, compared to Hamilton, so that won't really be a worry.

right. there really is a ton of problems with gangs, kids getting shot outside of schools and innocent people in downtown hamilton getting caught in crossfires and dying.

oh wait...