canada :: toronto :: general

ahk1979

the beaches is a great area especially during summer, but it's not exactly downtown. it's the southeast part of the city- i think, officially, queen east past kingston road? definitely a nice area, and i don't think rent is generally very high there, but it's not close to the subway and queen street's streetcar service can be spotty. keep in mind how this will affect how you travel, especially in relation to where you can potentially work and/or socialize. great area to hang out in during summertime though.

the annex is a great area most known for being populated by u of t and ryerson students. personally i'd avoid it, as rent tends to be a bit higher in the area because of its proximity to the schools downtown. don't count it out though.

somebody mentioned danforth ave, i live on the danforth right at broadview, and i have a really nice two bedroom, my share of which is $575. not bad. definitely keep the east end of the city in mind when looking for a place. people tend to gravitate towards the west because of areas like queen street west, kensington market, the annex, etc. that have been established neighbourhoods for a long time, but don't count the east side out. it has its share of sketchy and undesireable areas, but i find that generally, your rent money will take you farther on this side of town. the east side is starting to get more and more developed as well, especially parts of queen street east and on the danforth.

thanks alot for the pointers. you seem to have me convinced that the east side is the place to be lol.

seriously guys i appereciate this so much any pointers or information you think would be important to me having the best move possible would be great!

yeah this thread is definitely going to help me a lot. it's great that so many people are willing to give you the d/l on the city. i find it's pretty easy to navigate. toronto works like a checkerbaord everything is north to south or east to west. the problem is just identifying which parts of town are nice and which aren't and how the transit works and everything.

I'll be turning 21 in September and Toronto seems to be more appealing to me than anywhere else. Seems that the largest percentage of people there are between 20 and 30.

I have a friend in York Region and one who is living downtown and a few aquintances that would be willing to lend a helping hand. My dad lives in Brampton but I haven't spoken to him in six years, might be a good time to get back in with him.

I was in the same situation as you, Kyle. Living in a [very] small town, wanting to move to a big city.

I had my hopes set on NYC, but ended up moving to Boston instead. Well just outside Boston, but it's close enough.

I moved Jan 1st with only enough money for one month's rent, utilities, and food. Fortunately, I just landed a great job yesterday almost out of the blue. I went to a staffing agency and they set me up with the job.

Since you have considerably more money than I did (do), I'd say just try to find a place in the city and use whatever contacts you have/search craigslist/use a staffing agency/etc. to get a job. The good thing about a staffing agency is that they don't get paid unless they get you a job. So getting you a job becomes just as much their concern as it is yours.

I guess I was lucky since I knew some friends that had a house with an extra room I could move in to, but I'd say go for it. Good luck!

i know a couple people who make a living dealing cards in private clubs. i dont know for sure that i could hook you up, but id give you a phone number to call if i met you and you werent a creepy freakshow.

yeah i can't see myself giving off a creepy vibe. finding a place to deal cards in toronto would be so sick. since it's underground I won't have to go through certification again (takes like 75 hours training, table tests, finger printing, full criminal background check etc. etc.) and it would probably be great money. I'll definitely get in touch with you to try and set this up that would be so sick.

as far as priorities for where im living :

I have absolutely no beef with using the TTC. It's so much better than any form of public transit we have here. As long as it's close to a station I'd probably be happy.

I've lived in Toronto my whole life, but just moved out of my family's house this year.

I'm 19 and I go to one of the schools downtown, and I'll tell you, just look on craigslist you'll find a room mate and a house in a great downtown area, and it'll be fine. I mean, I pay 733 where I'm staying with two other room mates, and it's quite nice actually. Close to school. But I've got friends around the corner that pay around 5- something.

either way, don't worry. there's tons of work and opportunity here,

good luck!

another friend of mine moved from PEI to here to go to school, and she's loving it.

if you have 8000, you just need to move here and figure things out. thats one hell of a cushion. if you have any hustle at all you will be set up in no time and be living comfortably. being here for a week or two in a hostel or whatever would give you a good sense of where you would and wouldn't want to live/

Charlottetown is stuck in the stone age. I think we are the only state or province in North America that does NOT have canned pop. Carbonated beverages come in glass bottles here.

There is next to zero public transit, and a very small percentage of attractive people. Anyone who says there are hot girls in eastern canada is full of shit.

The best clothing store in all of Charlottetown, carries stuff like Diesel, True Religion , Affliction and shit like Mavi and Silver.. ugh. The second best clothing store has 7forallmankind and Lacoste, and that's about it for shopping.

There are 0 clubs in Charlottetown. There is a shitty bar that pretends to be a club and that is it. It's called the Velvet Underground, and if I am not mistaken I walked by a weird goth bar/tattoo parlor called the Velvet Underground when I was in Toronto.

There are no good job opportunities whatsoever. I make more than some people's parents and I'm a 20 year old kid dealing texas holdem for a living.

I need out.