canada :: toronto :: general

ahk1979

If it saves you money, take the bus there, and take a flight back. You'll be able to brave the 11 hour bus ride not knowing what you're in for. Afterwards all of your joints will ache and you'll never want to do it again.

I'd recommend it once.

thanks for the advice.. i have decided to get on a plane.. Another thing, what are must go places in new york? Not necessary shopping wise, eating or places for visitors... And would i be able to rent a car when im in new york... i will be living in douglaston.. or something.. i heard that it takes 1.5 hours by public transportation.. and i was thinking to rent a car to drive to soho or other places... is it a good idea?

one more thing, how would i get from the airport to the soho area of NY??

if you have a car its really easy to drive to buffalo, leave your car at the airpost and fly from there.

its about 1/3 or less the price of flyign from pearson which is the most expensive airport in north america.

its under 2 hrs to drive from downtown toronto to buffalo international, and its not conufing at all as the QEW ends at the bridge that leads into downtown Buf and its only 10 minutes to the airport after the border with a very direct route. maybe one or two exits, i think one.

once your on the flight its only an hour til your arriving at jfk. this will also save you from havign to deal with your car once your in NYC.

i've taken the bus there. if you aren't up for paying for much, then like suggested already, those chinese tours like tai pan or safeway tours are great.

they are a long bus ride and the other passengers can get annoying.

BUT it's cheap and easy. you just ditch them when you get to NYC and rejoin the group on the ride back.

if you have money to spare, then yeah, forget the tours and go yourself.

the bus is cheaper but dont think i could ever recommend it. the drive is cool so long as you have a ton a patience and a lively buddy to keep u awake...planes of course are the easiest. but either way the trip is worth it and if you can brave the subway you dont need a car in ny...happy shopping!

hope this isn't too late. my two cents:

the overnight bus is the fastest service offered by greyhound (fewest stops) at 10 hours. 8pm or 930pm departure only, arriving at 615am/745am respectively. this info is from greyhound.ca. you'll have to take the same overnight schedule coming back if you want to keep with the 10hr trip time. pros: cheap, lots of departure times. cons: a toture that i wouldn't want to wish on my worst enemy.

via rail has departures from union station. price is pretty much the same as bus and is way more comfortable. the cons are that it takes a LONG time (longer customs wait and amtrak transfer at the border), and they only have early morning departures.

driving is fast and cheap even with a rental. easy drive. cons: you'll have to deal with parking in nyc.

i wouldn't recommend flying from pearson unless you have money to burn and/or you fly out of buffalo.

• 3 weeks later...

i looking to shorten the sleeves of a FCUK velvet blazer and maybe tighten the abdominal area...any good places to recommend? i wouldn't mind spending a few extra $$ for quality work, don't wanna fuck these up lol

People don't seem to care where they go out in the summer...as long as its warm and there's a patio. I'm happy buying all the fabulous stuff mentioned in this thread and wearing it while sitting in my backyard where only the dog can see me :P .

I'd be interested in hearing people's regular haunts though for shopping/eating/drinking? Mine:

Clothing: HR, TNT, Nomad, Lacoste, AA, Capsule

Furniture: Kiosk, Neinkamper, Italinteriors

Restaurants: Terroni, Hal Burger, Susur/Lee, Sher-e-punjab, Hiro Sushi, Czehoski

wheres kultura on queen e? further east than opera house?

i need to check that place out.

the sparrow is just around the corner form my spot, i hear its good but i havnt checked it out yet.

coca got owned by the star a few weeks back, and the week before ssur/lee took a beating. that amy pataki girl is ruthless.

ultra is hardly fashionable. its definately pricey and decadent, but dudes look like they are from jersey and the girls look like mannequins.

since some friends of mine have been working there ive been around a couple times and it gets old real quick.

• 2 weeks later...

Im in the same playing feild as you. Years of spicy food have made me immune, so anything that's actually spicy i find it mild.

But i honestly think that Wing Machine has the BEST wings hands down. Buy their jerk wings, order 1 pound and eat them all by urself..Probably the hottest wings ive had in a while. I was hungry this one day and ordered it, i had a very hard time finishing them because every time a new wing touched my mouth, it felt like somebody was jabbing my tounge with a needle. I had to fight it.

i dont eat wings, really. but i likes me some spicy food.

if you like roti, ghandi's hot is fucking bonkers. theres a certain roti that they do that is especially hot and it fucked me up real good. cant remember what its called though.

Im in the same playing feild as you. Years of spicy food have made me immune, so anything that's actually spicy i find it mild.

But i honestly think that Wing Machine has the BEST wings hands down. Buy their jerk wings, order 1 pound and eat them all by urself..Probably the hottest wings ive had in a while. I was hungry this one day and ordered it, i had a very hard time finishing them because every time a new wing touched my mouth, it felt like somebody was jabbing my tounge with a needle. I had to fight it.

that doesnt even sound enjoyable, but if you like it

i dabbed a finger in a dipping bowl of armageddon sauce at duffs and touched the tip of that finger to the tip of my tongue, and it took 2 beers, a truckload of celery and a ton of blue cheese before i could even talk again

• 1 month later...

Will be moving out soon, and buying new furniture for my new place next year. I plan on getting most of it from Toronto, and then just renting a van to bring it up as my new city is bound to not have any interesting furniture stores.

Any tips for affordable, interesting furniture? I know Queen west has some cool retro/antique stores, and King street very east has some very nice modern stuff (which is quite expensive as far as I recall). Any other suggestions/areas?

Budget is an issue, but I'd like to veer away from Ikea, not thats its bad or anything, I've just been surrounded by it for the last 5 years and want to move on....

Queen West (of Bathurst) has the retro/antique stores your thinking of, but there are also a number of stores carrying more modern styles as well eg. Qausi Modo, but again they're pretty high-end brands with matching prices...

Also take a look at some of the reviews in Toronto Life.

Try to get acquainted with an interior designer or architect and schmooze them for their professional discounts ;)

Hey Nair, what about craigslist? Also, ebay? There are some good Danish modern finds on both. I have a friend who pretty much furnished his whole apartment from craigslist and it looks like a million bucks. Just might need to reupholster some things and you're set.

check out the st.lawrence flea market on sundays. lots of larger pieces outside when the weather gets nice. bring a vehicle. craigs is excellent if you're willing to put in the time. queen EAST (of broadview) has lots of nice stuff as well..much better than queenW imho. eq3 on king east has reasonable prices since you stated $ is a factor. bungalow on augusta in kensington has a large selection of teak in the basement at a mark up of course. i think the key is to slowly furnish your new place and not to compromise on a piece solely to have "something".