best concerts you ever been to

poly800rock

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

sorry for the trip down memory lane, cleaning house and ran across some old ticket stubs i had saved. not all shows were great but they all were memorable

my real list of best shows is at the bottom.

2mmde8p.jpg

1. violator tour, someone actually played live guitar which was a laugh. i like to pretend this makes up for me missing the disintegration tour but it doesn't

2. support for dinosaur = my bloody valentine and babes in toyland. mbv played to a half empty room which was 1/4 full at the end of you made me realize.

3. pumpkins at stache's, 1991. i remember thinking that they sounded like a less punk, more psych jane's addiction which actually is sort of true

9fuo9u.jpg

1. got an autographed set list of this show somewhere. told the drummer their album was great and he bitched about steve lilywhite

2. went to see slowdive open, they cancelled at the last minute but went anyway. blur drummer trashed his setup at the end so you know they're punk rock

3. both great live bands, in my top 10 and meeting miki berenyi wasn't so bad either

4. going blank again tour... so good

9u3ix5.jpg

used to be a dedicated college rocker, social d on guitar hero 3 made my day. mike ness must have combed back his hair 50 times. i wish i had paid more attention to the extremely underrated screaming trees, i just remember lee conner rolling around on the stage a lot

2mphls3.jpg

1. full moon fever

2. hate (got reznor's autograph afterwards and he invited us out for a beer at mean mr. mustard)

3. sin (random goth chick ran up on stage during the middle of the song and started making out with reznor while he tried to play guitar)

33aa0bs.jpg

the first real show i went to outside of the ohio state fair

anyway, a real list of great shows off the top of my head:

ride/lush, bogart's 3/29/91

ride gba tour, metro 1992

roscoe mitchell / evan parker duet, hothouse 1993? first improv show i saw, could have picked much worse. maybe gregg bendian was there too

siltbreeze festival, khyber 1995 gbv, harry pussy, charalambides, fieldhands et al. went out for 15 minutes to grab a bite and missed harry pussy, fuck!

fushitsusha - first table of the elements tour, empty bottle 1994 (got an unused ticket which i'll dig for, it's a beaut)

dead c / v-3 / harry pussy, lounge ax chicago 1995

sonny rollins, lincoln center August 2000 - free show in damrosch, one of his good ones

the rapture, nyu 2/2003 with yura yura, the best live band in recent memory

le weekend festival, stirling 4/2003 - with akio suzuki and kazuki tomokawa, nuff said

jutok kaneko / lsd march, siberia 8/7/04 thank god i got to see kaneko before he passed on, rip

yura yura teikoku 11/05, southpaw & tonic - see rapture. one of the great bands of the 2000s thus far

arcade fire at troubadour

arcade fire at coachella '07

arcade fire at hollywood bowl

beirut at avalon

muse at soma

the national at el rey

sigur ros at avalon

sigur ros at hollywood bowl

there's more but cant remember. went to too many shows the past few years.

The best show I went to was evergreen terrace, the red chord, and fear before the march of flames in like 05' or 04' @ chain reaction. Fuck when evergreen terrace came in with "no donnie" people were going fuckin nuts, stage diving like crazy, and pitting. That was my first hardcore show and the best to this day.

Boris with Nachtmystium and Torche two nights ago at Lee's Palace was the loudest, most entertaining show I've been to. I was 30 feet away from the stage and I'm pretty sure that was louder than watching Dino Jr. from 5 feet away.... Michio Kurihara played with them (or is he actually part of the band now?), and Atsuo was hilarious.

and yeah I haven't been to a lot of good shows

Agreed, I was right infront of Wata the whole time. Her oranges raped my ears.

Amazing. I didn know who torche was going into the show. but man they were fucking heavy! ill be checking them out more for shure.

But man when Atsuo jump for the first time into the crowd he landed right on oh my head. epic...

Hands down. best concert i have ever been too.

Boris with Nachtmystium and Torche two nights ago at Lee's Palace was the loudest, most entertaining show I've been to. I was 30 feet away from the stage and I'm pretty sure that was louder than watching Dino Jr. from 5 feet away.... Michio Kurihara played with them (or is he actually part of the band now?), and Atsuo was hilarious.

Agreed, I was right infront of Wata the whole time. Her oranges raped my ears.

Amazing. I didn know who torche was going into the show. but man they were fucking heavy! ill be checking them out more for shure.

But man when Atsuo jump for the first time into the crowd he landed right on oh my head. epic...

Hands down. best concert i have ever been too.

Mother of fuck do I feel stupid for screwing the pooch on that show. What a cliche, man misses his favorite stoner band because he forgets to get a ticket. Durr.

And I didn't know Kurihara was there, that makes me feel bad.

the show the roots did in richmond for the jamestown 400 yr. celebration. they totally flipped it on the confederate cats and mentioned all the BS this country has been on since...ever. and the show was free. i was on the front row, and it was the best roots show ive been to. and it was beside a slaveship.

woohaaa ..... where to start ( and stop.)

Metallica Hammersmith Odeon '88

Pixies London Hammersmith Odeon '91

Jane's Addiction Brixton Academy '91

Anthrax/Public Enemy Brixton Academy91

Sonic youth/Pavement Brixton Academy '91

Rollins band/Beastie Boys Town and country club '92

Nirvana/mudhoney London Astoria '92

Soundgarden/ Corrosion of Conformity Town and Country club '92

Alice in Chains Town and Country Club '92

Ministry/Faith no more Brixton Academy '92

God Machine Phoenix Festival '93

God Machine/Afghan Whigs/Jon Spencer's Blues Explosion Astoria 2 '93

Smashing Pumpkins acoustic gig, Raymonds Revue bar Soho, 1994.

Pavement Reading Festival '95

Boards of Canada Trumans brewery London 1999

All Tomorrow's Parties Curated by Tortoise Camber Sands 2001

Christ/ Schneider tm ICA 2003

Juana Molina Bush Hall London 2004

I just reread your post chimp. and some of these shows are straight legendary. plus rep

sorry for the trip down memory lane, cleaning house and ran across some old ticket stubs i had saved. not all shows were great but they all were memorable

my real list of best shows is at the bottom.

2mmde8p.jpg

1. violator tour, someone actually played live guitar which was a laugh. i like to pretend this makes up for me missing the disintegration tour but it doesn't

2. support for dinosaur = my bloody valentine and babes in toyland. mbv played to a half empty room which was 1/4 full at the end of you made me realize.

3. pumpkins at stache's, 1991. i remember thinking that they sounded like a less punk, more psych jane's addiction which actually is sort of true

9fuo9u.jpg

1. got an autographed set list of this show somewhere. told the drummer their album was great and he bitched about steve lilywhite

2. went to see slowdive open, they cancelled at the last minute but went anyway. blur drummer trashed his setup at the end so you know they're punk rock

3. both great live bands, in my top 10 and meeting miki berenyi wasn't so bad either

4. going blank again tour... so good

9u3ix5.jpg

used to be a dedicated college rocker, social d on guitar hero 3 made my day. mike ness must have combed back his hair 50 times. i wish i had paid more attention to the extremely underrated screaming trees, i just remember lee conner rolling around on the stage a lot

2mphls3.jpg

1. full moon fever

2. hate (got reznor's autograph afterwards and he invited us out for a beer at mean mr. mustard)

3. sin (random goth chick ran up on stage during the middle of the song and started making out with reznor while he tried to play guitar)

33aa0bs.jpg

the first real show i went to outside of the ohio state fair

anyway, a real list of great shows off the top of my head:

ride/lush, bogart's 3/29/91

ride gba tour, metro 1992

roscoe mitchell / evan parker duet, hothouse 1993? first improv show i saw, could have picked much worse. maybe gregg bendian was there too

siltbreeze festival, khyber 1995 gbv, harry pussy, charalambides, fieldhands et al. went out for 15 minutes to grab a bite and missed harry pussy, fuck!

fushitsusha - first table of the elements tour, empty bottle 1994 (got an unused ticket which i'll dig for, it's a beaut)

dead c / v-3 / harry pussy, lounge ax chicago 1995

sonny rollins, lincoln center August 2000 - free show in damrosch, one of his good ones

the rapture, nyu 2/2003 with yura yura, the best live band in recent memory

le weekend festival, stirling 4/2003 - with akio suzuki and kazuki tomokawa, nuff said

jutok kaneko / lsd march, siberia 8/7/04 thank god i got to see kaneko before he passed on, rip

yura yura teikoku 11/05, southpaw & tonic - see rapture. one of the great bands of the 2000s thus far

phenomenal. these ticket stubs are amazing

loudest? louder than MBV?

Dunno cause I haven't seen. They're playing here in September but I'm out of town that month, unfortunately.

Is this Dino Jr. recently? Because before the MBV show last month, Dino Jr. in 93/94? was the loudest show I've ever been too. Not sure how they are now

best list of shows attended ever

holy fuck dude. Wow. I envy you. SO. MUCH.

I'm so depressed I grew up in the 90s/00s. Completely missed the alternative/college rock/shoegaze days.

Boris is easily up there with my favorite shows. Of course, I haven't been to that many, but damn they are good. And Torche was pretty cool also. And they're loud, but I could still hear afterwards. From what I've read of those recent MBV shows, that'll probably be a *bit* louder :P

Is this Dino Jr. recently? Because before the MBV show last month, Dino Jr. in 93/94? was the loudest show I've ever been too. Not sure how they are now

Yep, that was last May I think. I expected them to be really loud, but my ears took a massive beating that night. My friend said Mission of Burma are even louder though. I hope they play Toronto before they break up again...

• 5 months later...
Guest WPinJ"

Best concert ever seen :

Ramiro Mussoto y orchestra Sudaka at Festival Les Escales, St Nazaire 2008. Bresilian-inspired electro, If you don't dance, it means you're already dead.

Other excellent ones :

- Thurston Moore, Paris, for his second solo album

- Wax Taylor, Rock en Seine 2008 : one of the best trip hop/hip hop/electro dejay in France

Loudest :

Sonic Youth at the same festival, the same year. If I could have killed those sound technicians. I've seen them a couple of times, sound volume was usually ok.

31Knots in Portland. I highly suggest you check them out.

The set came after a mellow poppy band, and 31Knots hauled up all of their equipement, multiple effects boards, and a chest full of costumes. The show involved lots of crazy dancing, pounding sample loops, the wearing of masks and ironic brandishing of the bible, and two ventures into the audience.

It was the most amazing thing I have ever seen, from one of the greatest bands that exists.

Pete Seeger sitting on the bank of the Hudson River. Over a decade ago but I remember it so clearly.

Justice Yeldham at a friend of mine's loft in Bushwick.

Robert Ashley solo performance and the Glenn Branca Trio in one night at Tonic.

Milford Graves & Peter Brotzmann duo in the basement of some Church in the East Village.

Jeph Jerman, Greg Davis, Albert Casais found objects/percussion trio in the little community garden at McCarren Park.

• 2 weeks later...