Superfuture Movie Club

jackg

glad I got to see the film that actually coined the rashomon effect; excellent use of different character perspectives. I love how it's never revealed which story (if any) is the truth. only thing I can really complain about is that the woman's acting was horrendous at points during the film, particularly the scenes when she's crying.

Edited by soundtrack

ugh looks like someone deleted all the subtitles except for czech... they were there just the other day.

looks like i'm going to have to start backing the folder up on my pc if i want to watch anything. apparently dropboxes are still a difficult concept to grasp.

I am currently uploading the movie I chose which is THX1138. I think it fits superfuture aesthetic and was my second choice. I wanted to upload "Through a Glass Darkly" from I.Bergman but that would be the second classic and second B&W movie in 2 weeks. I still recommend it but I think it's better to have something different.

I am currently uploading the movie I chose which is THX1138. I think it fits superfuture aesthetic and was my second choice. I wanted to upload "Through a Glass Darkly" from I.Bergman but that would be the second classic and second B&W movie in 2 weeks. I still recommend it but I think it's better to have something different.

both sick. odd choice for a bergman 'classic' though?

Yeah I know it's not Persona or the Seventh Seal but I really like it as well and probably less people have seen it.

upload restarted :/ ... don't when it'll be up. tonight I guess.

Edited by freecat

still uploading?

Did someone delete it ? It was there yesterday, that's weird.

edit: uploaded it again.

Edited by freecat

This movie is a milestone in the futuristic aesthetic in sci-fi and rather advanced for its time. Atmosphere and design looks really contemporary and it's helped by very good filming and nice photography. I would say the scenario is a bit sub-par and feels like a rehash of some of the most famous sci-fi books like 1984, Fahrenheit 451 or Brave New World but then again there wasn't that many dystopian sci-fi books in 1971. I would say this is a brilliant movie.

I agree the atmosphere and design were pretty amazing! however I really didn't like it that much, too slow and I just never really felt engaged with the story. But considering the year it was made its a very impressive film.

anyone else had a chance to watch it?

6/10

Edited by jackg

Just finished it today. This is actually the 2004 digitally remastered version. George Lucas added in alot of digital effects into this version. That said, I really liked the setting and atmosphere of the film. Though I agree it dragged in spots, I enjoyed the obtuse themes. The photography was very good, and the robot cops were creepy as hell. 7/10

Finally got around to finishing THX 1138, I swear I watched the first 15- 30 minutes three or four times before falling asleep. I did though enjoy the movie, and completely agree with what freecat said about its similarities to 1984, especially this notion of a complete lack of individuality throughout all of its minor characters. The issue of race and racism was also a kind of funny subplot, with only four black actors, all of who played holograms. I found an interesting quote while looking into the movie, "the holograms really are just people who have been told by the system that they are holograms. They are controlled and segregated along with the rest of society and led to believe they are not real." I guess this could be perceived as an interesting critique on the obvious racial tensions existing at the time. Fairly good movie,

I'm sure for its time it was groundbreaking.

7.3/10

Did anyone use to play the video game POD? That was the first thing that I thought when they were racing through the escape scene

I thought his roommate the girl was also really good supposable its been her only real acting job.

Man POD was the shit. I remember spending all of my internet time on downloading cars for it. I played it recently and was disappointed though.

I don't think I gave THX1138 a mark but I would go for 7/10 as well. Did anyone ever see the original version without the digital parts ?

About a year ago I watched like the first 45 minutes of it on Netflix. The older version is alot more abstract if I remember correctly. However, with the added special effects it is MUCH easier to follow the story. Still not sure which version I like better.

Edited by kelleydenham