good hip hop

kid is only like 17. younger than me. fuckin insane tho.

http://www.myspace.com/realistmc

So that's the often sweated on GrimeForum "Realist" huh? Not bad. But I swear every month the scene gets hyped on some new younger who's gonna be grime's greatest hope, then he releases a mix CD, storms a couple sets, and dissapears only to be replaced by the next one. Of course there are exceptions, but this shit gets tiring.

Good looks on the video post though nonetheless.

wolves, that doesnt sound much different than the east coast where everyone gets hyped of their mixtape and then fails to do anything but be 'the next big thing' for a few years before someone more marketable but less able comes along. every scene got its perpetual hype machine that never produces any good records.

what grime artits are actually putting out albums? i cant find vinyl for any of that shit except some roll deep 12s and virus syndicate.

wolves, that doesnt sound much different than the east coast where everyone gets hyped of their mixtape and then fails to do anything but be 'the next big thing' for a few years before someone more marketable but less able comes along. every scene got its perpetual hype machine that never produces any good records.

what grime artits are actually putting out albums? i cant find vinyl for any of that shit except some roll deep 12s and virus syndicate.

Good point. Grafh? Check. Pap? Check. Sai? Check. Three artists I would have expected to have a major label debut by now when i first heard them in 02/03.

The difference in Grime is the size of the scene is so small, and the MC's are (literally) even smaller. These youngers at 15 are spitting the illest greeze bars one second, the next second, forgotten. It's also worth noting that grime as a genre lacks the mainstream support that hip-hop enjoys in the US, but that's another convo entirely.

New grime vinyl is hard to come by. It doesn't seem to get released much these days since the whole damn genre started doing the mixtape thing. If you ask me though, the best place to hear grime is live on a radio set, but as I recall, that doesn't suit you to well....

Hardly any grime artists actually put out albums. The closest thing you'll find is a well put together mixtape, because there's really not much money in the genre ... nobody has deals or any type of substantial financial backing. So the scene is really built on radio sets, random tracks, and the occasional tape.

New grime vinyl is hard to come by. It doesn't seem to get released much these days since the whole damn genre started doing the mixtape thing. If you ask me though, the best place to hear grime is live on a radio set, but as I recall, that doesn't suit you to well....

Hardly any grime artists actually put out albums. The closest thing you'll find is a well put together mixtape, because there's really not much money in the genre ... nobody has deals or any type of substantial financial backing. So the scene is really built on radio sets, random tracks, and the occasional tape.

this frustrates me because id like to be able to push the stuff on my friends. what i can play for them they go buck for, but i can only find a couple things. if i throw them a cdr with a radio set, they wont even give it a full spin. i miss the days of getting in someones car with an album and driving around til it was over. now kids just throw it on a playlist and its forgotten seconds later.

ps - that raph saddiq record is balls. someone owes me $18.

this frustrates me because id like to be able to push the stuff on my friends. what i can play for them they go buck for, but i can only find a couple things. if i throw them a cdr with a radio set, they wont even give it a full spin. i miss the days of getting in someones car with an album and driving around til it was over. now kids just throw it on a playlist and its forgotten seconds later.

ps - that raph saddiq record is balls. someone owes me $18.

I remember those days ... driving around listening to an album. Why not just make a mix CD or playlist with your favorite grime singles? I made one two years ago that I used to blast in my car a lot, got three of my friends really into it. On nights that I was playing something else they'd always end up requesting a track from that mix.

I could look through my old ipod and check the track list if you're interested in compiling something similar. The tracks I used might give you an idea of what people just getting into it find accessible.

i no longer have a car since i moved to a city. and i dont fuck with ipods. either out of habit or because im a nostalgic motherfucker, i still drag friends into my room when they come over and bombard them with music that i think they will like.

some people actually call me like 'yo, put me onto some new shit' or ' i know your into some other shit right now, lemme hear it' and some people probly think its annoying how im always dropping tracks while theyre trying to tell me how their day at work went.

vinyl helps because people like to get involved. i miss music being a communal activity. fuck headphones!

new Q-Tip, what u guys think

I've heard a few pieces of it, sounds promising. I'll go through the whole thing later on and form an opinion of it.

p.s. - I haven't been here in a while, and don't feel like "digging through the crates," so to speak, so I wanted to ask if anyone here has heard of Charles Hamilton before? If so, which songs of his would you reccomend people to listen to?

my brother was jockin charles hamilton hard and i remember hearing some tracks and digging them. dont know any names. hes gonna be another one of those flash in the pan rappers, i predict. anyone who gets that kinda buzz on blogs never makes a decent record.

I liked him a lot *until he started trying to be Kanye West.

this is the shit im talkin about. dude just got signed - aint even got a single out and your already claimin he fell off. fuck myspace, fuck youtube, fuck mp3s. a rapper cant get on without being stale by the time his release date hits. the game got real.

Damn, lol...ah well. I guess I can search for some of his good stuff and piece it together in a playlist or something. I listened to the new Q-Tip in full, and I like it. That 88 Keys character is pretty decent too.

this is the shit im talkin about. dude just got signed - aint even got a single out and your already claimin he fell off. fuck myspace, fuck youtube, fuck mp3s. a rapper cant get on without being stale by the time his release date hits. the game got real.

Pump your breaks Ahk. I made no claims in regards to his freshness or skill as an MC. That comment was in the context of his personality. When he first got on he was a very humble kid, almost innocent. Now he brags about all the drugs he does walks around with pink headphones in pink polos and thinks he's the greatest rapper since Rap.

And besides I said i still like him!

ter - i wasnt callin you out specifically. im just saying its real wack when peoples interest in a new act peaks before they get a chance to put out a solid product. we, as listeners, have way too much fucking access to the artists now and its fucking the game up.

how you even know how dude dresses and acts? i used to have buy 10 magazines to get a good picture of das efx to put into my tapecase so my dubbed copies would look semi-offical. now you just google some guy whos got a digital ep and you can see what his little sister is eating for breakfast. im gonna boycott leaks and videos for albums im anticipating and go back to harassing record store employees to gimme shit a few days before it drops. fuck a internet.

i don't think you can say fuck myspace, facebook etc, without that stuff Charles Hamilton wouldn't be anywhere, he totally took advantage of those mediums to get where he is (I'm saying that in a complimentary way) He's smart and he made it work that way, so that "over exposure" is what even got him exposed to start.

His Donuts tape is really dope, called 'and then they played dilla' - Its good

I like the new 88 keys joint, hes cool, soulful hip hop (like kanye used to make, haha) I wish it was a bit longer tho

q-tip is decent, it falls inbetween amplified and kamaal the abstract pretty much 'won't trade' is a tight track

i don't think you can say fuck myspace, facebook etc, without that stuff Charles Hamilton wouldn't be anywhere, he totally took advantage of those mediums to get where he is (I'm saying that in a complimentary way) He's smart and he made it work that way, so that "over exposure" is what even got him exposed to start.

half my point is that this dude doesnt have an album out, so why should people know so much about him. didnt you ever hear a song on the radio, or see a video on tv by someone youd never heard of then go right to the store, get the album and all of a sudden this dude/crew was your new favorite shit? you played it til it broke your discman/tapedeck/stylus and you made all your friends buy it cause it was the shit. thats how bootcamp, wu tang, and tribe went for me.

now everykid knows your bio and has your demo and 12 mixtapes before you ever get in the studio over an original beat and next thing you know youre saigon.

these mediums WERE good at exposing new talent until they became the standard. myspace and itunes are probably the principal outlets for kids to get music and artist info now. when that became a reality they stoped giving artists vital exposure and just immediately began to overexposed everyone who shamelessly promoted themselves on it. i wont click a myspace link unless its sent to me by some very reliable friends. man, schooly d has a myspace page now. fuck that shit.

i understand what you're saying...but I also think it doesn't have to really be the case for every artist.

Take a Black Milk or somebody like that, sure they have myspace and have some tapes but he's grinding in the studio, doing shows making it happen with hard work and talent, hes not exlpoiting those mediums and in turn they aren't exploiting him and his work. I did hear a song somebody sent me, checked him online then bought his album on the way from school, fortunately it hasn't broken my iPod.

You can't compare now and early 90s. You just can't. It's far too different. But the level of online exposure partially has to do with how the artists approach it and use it. It doesn't have to be the medium to make or break somebody before they drop an album.

half my point is that this dude doesnt have an album out, so why should people know so much about him. didnt you ever hear a song on the radio, or see a video on tv by someone youd never heard of then go right to the store, get the album and all of a sudden this dude/crew was your new favorite shit? you played it til it broke your discman/tapedeck/stylus and you made all your friends buy it cause it was the shit. thats how bootcamp, wu tang, and tribe went for me.

now everykid knows your bio and has your demo and 12 mixtapes before you ever get in the studio over an original beat and next thing you know youre saigon.

these mediums WERE good at exposing new talent until they became the standard. myspace and itunes are probably the principal outlets for kids to get music and artist info now. when that became a reality they stoped giving artists vital exposure and just immediately began to overexposed everyone who shamelessly promoted themselves on it. i wont click a myspace link unless its sent to me by some very reliable friends. man, schooly d has a myspace page now. fuck that shit.

That said, the net is the newest form of artists being able to get exposure. Times have changed, and old avenues of artists pushing their music aren't as useful as they used to be. But, I do agree that many an artist try to spam their way through the industry by bombarding sites/blogs/people with their music. But in the end, even that weeds out some of the wacker musicians. The information/music is just fed to the consumer/listener at a faster rate than it was in the past. It's a double edged-sword.

Again, I'm not sure if y'all have heard of this person yet either, but this Diz Gibran character is mad decent...

http://www.myspace.com/dizgibran