good hip hop

as a guy I knoe put it; Weezy left the whole concept of Hiphop at the door when he started making music and stuntin' like his daddy. He has absolutely nothing to contribute to the music, artform, or the culture. Like his songs or not, but he is and always will be another leech sucking the life out of Hiphop.

Believe it or not, the Carter two was one of the few truley succesfull and complete albums to come out last year. There's an urgency to his flow and delivery that makes most (and I say Most) of his music far more listenable than most of what's coming out these days, whether mainstream or underground.

The pitchfork dick lickin was obviously overkill, especially from a bunch of motherfuckers who discovered Weezy then and there, but ever since I found a copy of Tha Block is Hot amidst a stack of 12" on the street, I've respected and liked his music for what it was, and what it is, not what People think it should be.

And Mike, One more thing.....though it's nothing personal, it really ticks me off when people try to differentiate between rap that is beneficial to the culture, or "artform", and rap that is "just" good music. Or "Pop-rap", and "real-rap". There is no difference between the two if someone is nice on the Mic. If that's not Wayne for you, thats all fair, but your justifications are a lil murky.

No GED, Cassette P, or College Degree.

And BG murks Wayne anyday in my book, just so you know I'm not one of those fans.

Haha. Yeah...I knew it. Thats pretty much the case.

I should point out, I like Wayne and I listen to his music. The Carter I and II are pretty good albums. I just hate the majority of his fans. They are kinda the rap version of hardcore Tool fans.

i know lil wayne hears dis alot but im da real fan here i got a name belt dat say lil wayne my goldz to da bottom say weezy my earings my necklace my ring my bracelet say lil wayne i got 2 tattoos one say lil wayne da other say weezy f baby i got custom made airforce wit his picture n it say lil wayne i got jeans and a shirt custom made wit his picture dat say lil wayne weezy f baby. and im doing my coustom made prom dress wit his pictures allover da dress wit lil wayne going every where i names my son after him ya know his name so tell me now who da #1 fan here its me MRS: LIL WAYNE WEEZY F BABY

And Mike, One more thing.....though it's nothing personal, it really ticks me off when people try to differentiate between rap that is beneficial to the culture, or "artform", and rap that is "just" good music. Or "Pop-rap", and "real-rap". There is no difference between the two if someone is nice on the Mic. If that's not Wayne for you, thats all fair, but your justifications are a lil murky.

I can understand what you mean, but I do think there are certain types of hip-hop made and the biggest type is pretty much driven by popular media and mainstream hype, so I think that in some sense its quite accurate to define it as pop-rap even though the term has an annoying ring to it. in all honesty I don't necessarily even mean it in a negative tone, many artists just cater solely to this whateveryouwannacallit audience. to me, the opposite of this is something that isn't driven by hype, mtv or record companies just because kids buy it cause it looks cool.

I dont know if that makes any sense? the idea of "real and non real rap" ticks me off too, so my apologies if I've used a comparison like that, but thats just the easy way of putting it ;)

I admit that not being "real" is poor justification, so I'll try to rephrase why I think Lil Wayne is not a very good rapper; considering lyrical skills, I think he has gone from a terrible rapper to a decent one. as you said he's good on the mic, which makes him stand out from a lot of other popular rappers. but personally, I dont think that accounts to much, I still don't find his skills in anyway exceptional.

Brim leaning, cup tilted, blunt flicking

Get money, **** bitches

Young Weezy, young pimping, she love it

I keep going, she keep cumin, what you know bout it

So bout it...like Master P... but no coward

No I am no Howard the duck duck

Lead showers, black flowers

Black dresses, two hours, closed casket

Ma dough tactics is so crafty

No laughter, I do that after I get the dough bastards

I get the dough faster, what if I flowed faster

Like... oh Nancy the flow's plastic, automatic, I'm

More drastic, ain't no names compared to me

Who are you, where are ya, I can't see, ya air to me

Ya not there to me, I ain't ****ing wit you bitch ******

I'm ****ing ya sis *****, it's Weezy

:D

That Oprhanage track is fucking amazing. What was the Blueprint line? Something like "i got drums that sound like coltrane high on cocaine". Aesop absolutely killed it - "Roll over, sit fetch play dead beg, your politcal alignment walks with a pegged leg"

. I think I have it here somewhere. I'll yousendit when I find it. Its a must have.

no doubt, this track is the allstar game of rhymesayers

every line is quotable

"everybodys got their own story, i wrote mine-everybodys got their on words, you quote mine-everybody thinks im fuckin nuts--wanna hold mine?"

As far as I know Lootpack has not disbanded... Madlib as mentioned is a production machine... way back in the late 90's he was making a beat tape a week... I remember hearing the Quas' demo tape and when asked by Wolf my thoughts I couldn't answer, I was dumbfounded... it just flew over my head. 747. Madlib's a genius... Wildchild did that solo joint a few years back and does guest spots on various Stones Throw fam projects and Romes DJ's on a regular basis... so they're all around just whether Lootpack as a group is recording that's unkown.

Fuck that was a useless post. I need sleep.

murs is my favorite rapper.

if you dont got it already, get "pulp fiction - people under the stairs f/ murs"

ive had it on repeat. it plays out like a story and doesnt get old for the entire 6 minutes...

also, anyone else into kankick? if you like madlib at all, (and i could very easily be his biggest fan) you need to check this cat out...

just getting into strange fruit project too...

havent given it a complete listen but so far the new brother ali sounds good, though not nearly on the same level as shadows on the sun. and if you havent had the chance to check him out live, i highly recommend it. i've had the oppurtunity to see him twice and both times he fucking killed it

I agree, has some really good tracks but as an album, not on par with Shadows. Listen Up is a pretty intense track

I've always found MURS a bit too repetitive, or that after a couple tracks he just gets real predictable... each LP/EP he does has some stand out tracks but there's always this filler standard backpack hip hop that gets real zzzzzzzzz.... That GOOD MUSIC double album was a prime example... some great tracks (Thes One produced ones are dope)... but too many zzzz's...

I've always found MURS a bit too repetitive, or that after a couple tracks he just gets real predictable... each LP/EP he does has some stand out tracks but there's always this filler standard backpack hip hop that gets real zzzzzzzzz.... That GOOD MUSIC double album was a prime example... some great tracks (Thes One produced ones are dope)... but too many zzzz's...

for the most part i definitely agree, when murs is on point he's on. Though his releases are consumed by filler material... anyone seen the bumper sticker tho...?

"MURS IS BETTER THAN YOUR FAVORITE RAPPER" hahaha...

any takers on the new EL-P??

MF DOOM (aka Viktor Vaughn)

+ Madlib

= Madvillian

Ratatat (great hip-hop remixes)

J Dilla (and the rest of Stones Throw Records too)

CunninLynguists

Typical Cats

I Self Divine

Heiroglyphics

Blue Scholars

Ugly Duckling (to an extent)

The Coup

Grand Puba (Brand Nubian)

Fondation Metisse (some crazy French group, www.myspace.com/autarcie)

Megatech

...and the list goes on. I love me some underground.

MF DOOM (aka Viktor Vaughn)

+ Madlib

= Madvillian

Ratatat (great hip-hop remixes)

J Dilla (and the rest of Stones Throw Records too)

CunninLynguists

Typical Cats

I Self Divine

Heiroglyphics

Blue Scholars

Ugly Duckling (to an extent)

The Coup

Grand Puba (Brand Nubian)

Fondation Metisse (some crazy French group, www.myspace.com/autarcie)

Megatech

...and the list goes on. I love me some underground.

Pretty eclectic mix. I grew up on that underground shit. I'll spit out a few from back from the good life days at Project Blowed...

1. Freestyle Fellowship

2. ATU (Abstract Tribe Unique)

3. Riddalore and Rifleman

4. Jizzm

5. AWOL

6. Radio Inactive

7. Dark Circle

8. OMD

Awol's self-titled album was the last great cali hip hop classic.

And nobody has ever heard it.

solaar kills it on the jazzmatazz tip. and his track with dj krush is pretty dope.

no doubt, his album combat prose is unbelievable. even if i can't honestly understand half of what he's saying...

yo ill send rep your way if anyone can supply some yousendits of any new mark ronson tracks.

i dont wanna pay import prices on his 12" unless i know its good. (edit: yes homo)

also, its probly not very hip hop but does anyone have any opinions on the good the bad and the queen? i think dangermouse had his hand in it and i liked the last gorillaz record. plus the clash dude. anyone heard that?