good hip hop

My favs:

Foreign Exchange - the whole album is sick: Connected... seriously one of my top albums ever.

Nicolay - Album: Here (he produced Connected); whole album is sick.

Little Brother - album: the listening; song: So Fabulous

Mr. J Mendeiros - album: of gods and girls; songs: Amelie, Constance, whole album is money.

Blue Scholars - album: blue scholars; song: freewheelin

K-OS: album - Exit, song: heaven only knows remix

Peope Under the Stairs - album: O.S.T; song: the LA song

Common: album - BE; song: go

Hi-Tek - album: Hi-Teknology; song: Music for Life

love these albums and most of the songs on these albums... i had to list a few of my fav. songs to be precise.

For those that haven't heard some of these albums, i'd respect your opinions on em... i want to see what other peeps value in hiphop music.

edit: i haven't read the whole thread, so if some of the albums/songs/artists are mentioned sorry, i'll catch up on the thread soon though!

• 2 weeks later...
some new stuff:

7377792.jpg

Consequence - Dont quit your day job

only listened quickly through but sounded allright, pretty laid back sound. will give a better listen later on..

rjd2thirdhand.jpg

RJD2 - Third Hand

this is really different from other RJ, I wouldn't have recognized it. appparently some fans are really upset for RJ's change in style, I personally like the sound on this album but then again I'm not a real hardcore fan. I think the album has a more indie/rock/pop influenced sound to it, kind of hard to describe.

BBG0305CD.jpg

Snowgoons - German Lugers

I don't know who these guys are but the artists on this album are pretty impressive: Sean Price, Chief Kamachi, Jus Allah, Living Legends, MED, El Da Sensei, OC, wordsworth... all I can say that beats are fucking gully :eek:

a few other new or upcoming releases:

STH2153CD.jpg

J Dilla - Ruff Draft (2CD re-release)

SC701CD.jpg

Mobb Deep - Infamous Archives

FB5121CD.jpg

Black Milk - Popular Demand

ochiddengems.jpg

OC - Hidden Gems

p_asteriskfour.jpg

QN5 - asterisk:four

PNLP01CD.jpg

Paul Nice - Lost product

sorry to be mad late lowrey but hows that black milk? i saw that video he did and wasnt too impressed. but wasnt necessarily bad. i saw the lp in the shop the other day and thought i might be worht giving a shot.

should i get it if i didnt like the single?

is that the ploy for radio or does that pretty much sum up his whole stlye?

I just got the new Evidence album. Its crazy - Highly recommended. On the production side its all the best parts of Dialated plus some shit and he's fierce on the mic, as always.

After a single listen to El-P's album Im not impressed. It sounds like a redux of Fan Dam but with half the effort.

After a single listen to El-P's album Im not impressed. It sounds like a redux of Fan Dam but with half the effort.

really eh? it killed me right away, which fan dam didnt. but maybe thats cause now im used to his style so its not cheese grattering on my face like fan dam was when i got it.

i still think its dope.

• 2 weeks later...

just saw Method Man yesterday night, holy fuck what a gig :eek:

his performance was ace and the crowd was intense as hell, one of the best gigs I've been to. dude was doing flips into the audience, walked on top of peoples hands and best of all seemed genuinely surprised as to how crazy the place went. and this was in Helsinki, Finland, would never have believed it.

talked to Streetlife after the gig, apparently wu tang is in the studio at the moment making a new album, didn't know about this.

btw, anyone check the new redman album? listened to it quickly and seemed allright, a few pretty dope tracks

^^^

haha! it's literally black in a sea of white!

anyone else going to rock the bells nyc?

fuck i wish i could. will be at rock the bells san bernardino though.

im going to rock the bells LA

but on a SERIOUS tip, everyone need to download this new biggie mixtape, im actually not sure how new it is but THIS IS WHAT DUETS SHOULD HAVE BEEN!

la? you mean san bernardino? but yeh, newport authority was pretty ill; but nothing beats his biggie unbelievable mixtape, shit was gold.

Here is the interview I did with El. It's short for a few reasons: After 10 minutes I lost interest, it was a phoner done at 11pm and he was clearly more into drinking and/or doing whatever else he was doing at the bar. I did an interview with Sage Francis last week, if anyone has any interest in that, I can post after i transcibe. It went a touch better than this.

Pants: Tell me about the album.

El-P: The album is called “I’ll Sleep when you’re Dead,” and it drops March 20th. It’s my attempt at an eloquent translation of the psychological mind state of a man living in strange times.

Pants: You have a diverse set of guests and collaborators on the album; I want to know if you set out to work with each of them from the start, or if they come naturally though the development of the album?

El-P: Yeah, the latter as opposed to the former. It definitely wasn’t something I set out to do. Anyone who is on the record, the songs were essentially created already, and I just had some friends and some people I had been working with recently, that I had heard and thought they could add something to the record, so I asked them to do it. I defiantly didn’t set out to make any record; I didn’t create any songs for those collaborations. Those collaborations came in sort of the same way that I sample a record, you know. Instead of sampling a record, I’m sampling a live musician.

Pants: Do you approach your solo records differently from your other work?

El-P: No, it’s definitely a different process; it’s definitely its own thing. When I produce for other people it’s really about getting into the mind state of what they’re going for and trying to understand and help them realize their vision. And, when I do my records, it’s kind of my excuse to go nuts and put in every little trick and every little inspiration and moment of dementedness that I have been wanting to incorporate into music and kind of go all out. I think it’s definitely a different thing than when I produce for other people.

Pants: As a label boss, do you feel pressure to have other def jux artists on your own records?

El-P: Pressure? Fuck no. It’s my honor to get those guys on my record.

Pants: Do you ever make them battle for your own personal amusement?

El-P: Make who battle?

Pants: The rappers on the label.

El-P: I’m not some kind of dungeon master in control of other people’s lives (laughing).

Pants: I thought it would be kind of cool.

El-P: No, I’ve never made anyone battle for my own amusement. No.

Pants: I’ve heard you are really into sci-fi, and wondered if that’s true, and if so how much of an inspiration that is to your lyrics?

El-P: You know, sure, I’m into sci-fi like everyone of my generation in into sci-fi. I’m into sci-fi the way everyone loves Star Wars and Blade Runner. What I’m more into is sociological fiction, like George Orwell and Phillip K. Dick. I’m into the idea of, you know, the normal man versus the powerful man. I guess I see the world in a bit of a dark way, similar to some of the heroes, some of the people I grew up with as a kid, reading and the movies I saw, but I’m not writing songs about science fiction. There’s nothing like that in my music. But, you know, some of the dark angles I approach things with could be attributed to some of that.

Pants: Would you say that growing up and living in New York attributes to some of that as well?

El-P: No question. It’s a very unique city. And it’s a very stressful city, noisy city. Fast paced, you know, there’s a lot of amazing shit, a lot of pain and a lot of sorrow, and it’s all clashing at the same time. I think its one of the hugest influences in my work.

Pants: What impresses me most about your work is that from the outset of your career you don’t follow the other trends of what others were doing in New York, the mainstream artists, and you have continued to push boundaries and not become stagnant like some others in the city. What inspires you to keep pushing?

El-P: Well, man, I never disconnected myself from the things I loved about doing what I do. The art as I involve myself in it, is very personal for me. And, it’s based not only on the things that I learned when I was a kid, from graffiti artists and break dancers about the hip-hop culture growing up in New York City during the late 70s and early 80s. I just never gave a fuck, I just don’t care what other people are doing. Of course, I’m interested in the new styles and new approaches, but at the same time I’ve always been interested in carving out my own ideas and I guess, to some degree, it’s the best possible thing I can do, to remain interested in myself and have fun with it, to live in my own universe (laughs). I just trust myself as a fan, I trust my roots, I trust my fandom, and I trust where I’m headed as an artist, enough to listen to my own voice. And, I think that the only important thing that you can do is have your own voice. The second that you are to affected by what others do is the second you cease to be interesting.

Pants: Are there any mainstream artists that you find interesting?

El-P: Yeah, of course. My musical tastes are not limited to any kind of genre; I’m hugely widely open to all good music. And, I grew up on mainstream artists, so the whole idea that simply because I do my business independently doesn’t have any effect on my appreciation for music at all, in any way.

Pants: If you had to pick a member of dipset to produce a song for, who would it be?

El-P: Um, Cam’ron? Cam’ron or Juelz. I’m a fan of dipset, dipset is sick to me, personally, I think they are ill.

Pants: What song are you most proud of?

El-P: Ah, what song I’m I most proud of? That changes. You have your relationship to jams that mean something to you. Every song, I’m proud when I’ve finished it, of what I’ve accomplished. At the same time, it’s just a snapshot of where I am at the moment, so I don’t hold on to this shit. I’m not a big proponent of looking back much. I don’t spend a lot of time patting myself on the back.

Pants: Speaking of looking back, Grandmaster Flash and Furious Five where just inducted to the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame. Do you see yourself joining them?

El-P: Probably not.

Pants: Melle Mel has talked about the era of the super producer, in rap and pop, do you have any thoughts on how the business is going and how production is generally handled?

El-P: Well, I’ll tell you what, I think the best records that are possibly made are records that are made with a self contained group. A group that is either working with a producer or are the producers themselves, because I don’t think that records that are compilations of 10-15 different producers are the best type of records for a position or a sound. Or to create a tome. I think that the records that I try and do, that I involve myself with my label, are aiming for something a little more coherent or more consistent than what’s done in the mainstream. We don’t have to worry about all the shit that people do in the mainstream. We don’t have to worry if our records aren’t commercially viable; we know they aren’t commercially viable. So, therefore, we can just do whatever the hell we want to do, and there’s a lot of freedom involved in that. And, I think there is honor in the production of a full length record. I think there is something great about the same producer that started the record on the first track ending the record on the last track. You know, my personal preference, those are the records that will ultimately mean something for hip-hop.

Pants: What’s next for the label?

El-P: My record coming out March 20th, Aesop Rock’s record is coming out in the summer. We’re doing a 10 year anniversary edition of Funcrusher Plus with a last show DVD.

Pants: Incredible.

El-P: Despot, a new artist we signed. We are releasing Camu Tao, which will be his first solo record. We’re doing a lot of stuff, and all I can hope for is that we produce good records.

Pants: You once jokingly said, “Sports are for fags.” On that note, do you have any predictions for the NCAA tournament?

El-P: I don’t give a fuck at all.

Pants: Fair enough. Anything else?

El-P: No, not really. Thank you to everyone who’s been a supporter, and I hope everyone comes out to the shows. It’s going to be fun.