good hip hop

im liking travel at your own pace. i picked it up last week or the week before and i've listened to it a few times. its a good record but i think it could have been better if it was mixed properly. never off (on & on) and what's next? are good songs.

the cool kids are way better live than they are on cd. they're kinda boring when i listen to it at home. please let me know how kid koala is live when you see him.

i think i would definitely agree with you if they hadnt had sound issues on the night....i really dig their 'totally flossed out' bootleg ep, maybe even moreso than i enjoyed them live.

kid koala was amazing last time, and im sure he'll be just as good this time :)

kid koala is hands down the best live turntablist that out there today. hes probly the only guy who i dont care to see projected onto a large screen behind him. i trust that hes doing things to that record that i could never understand. once i saw him wear pajamas while he got busy. that was awesome.

juby: one thing i wonder about the y society album is if they clear all the vocal samples they appropriated. if they did, that must have been a fucking expensive record to put out. if they didnt, they are gonna have a buttload of legal fees if it ever gets big.

juby: one thing i wonder about the y society album is if they clear all the vocal samples they appropriated. if they did, that must have been a fucking expensive record to put out. if they didnt, they are gonna have a buttload of legal fees if it ever gets big.

im pretty sure damu only cleared the obvious samples like the intro. i dont think he or his label has the money to clear all of them.

i dont know how you could justify liking dipset then call the cool kids homo thugs. dipset is wack 90% of the time and when they arent theyre still not really good, just funny and kind of adorable in an ironic sense. the cool kids arent spectacular by any measure, but they make decent music that knocks without resorting to some bullshit thug caricature, or at least when they do hit that thug shit its done with a better sense of humour than dipset could ever pull off. comparing them isnt even like apples and oranges, its like apples and peanut shells.

im pretty sure damu only cleared the obvious samples like the intro. i dont think he or his label has the money to clear all of them.

they sampled so many vocals though. they had roots, beastie boys, mountain brothers, and a slew of other notable shit. i cant imagine them not getting hit up for all the lines they lifted. i love that they did it because the album works like a collage of classic material remixed into some new shit, but the legal issues that could come from it are insane. underground rappers simply cant afford to clear that many samples. i heard saul williams paid 15k for a public enemy line on niggy tardust. buck 65 spent his entire advance getting the bongo band drums for dang. and hes on a major. damu gonna get raped when the record labels catch up to him. id hate for that record not to get its due ears, but i hope for his sake it doesnt get large cause hed be fucked if it did.

i was listening to the cool kids ep and it knocks pretty hard, although there isn't really any substance there, but i like it...but then i got to thinking are these some ironical hipster kids talking retro cause its cool. and I looked it up they're like 19 talking all that 80's shit...smh

... i heard saul williams paid 15k for a public enemy line on niggy tardust. buck 65 spent his entire advance getting the bongo band drums for dang. and hes on a major. damu gonna get raped when the record labels catch up to him. id hate for that record not to get its due ears, but i hope for his sake it doesnt get large cause hed be fucked if it did.

public enemy really charged that much?

i hope they blow up. they make good music. i just hope the legal issues dont fuck them up to the point where they give up.

i went out to see J Rocc this past weekend.

was it that move thing that stones throw has going on? madlib was supposed to spin as well but he was in brazil at that time. maybe the next one.

dipset are good at what they do. They make silly/funny hard core music. SDE, CHWM, and the first Diplomat cd are personal classics to me.

Cool kids are a joke....this hipster rap scene is just too lame and gimicky

Heres the thing....Everything you just said about Dipset is EXACTLY why The Cool Kids are dope. What exactly makes them hipsters? Wearing dunks and slim jeans? Name brands like Supreme, Undefeated, and Huff? You must also think SuFu is lame and gimmicky too, then.

Dunno how you can call them a joke and still listen to Juelz or Jim Jones.If it wasnt for their production they would get no spins, anywhere. The only Dipset album I own is their first LP. Its the instrumental.

Im not saying I don't own Cam solo albums, because I do. He's my dude, but him and The Heatmakerz are the only redeeming factors.

Ktothe brings the real. cool kids are a definate gimmick, but they cater to a scene that wants nothing but gimmicks. if anyones to blame for that market, its dipset. dipset is practically an inside joke that doesnt realize its laughable. the polyslyabic schemes are fun for all of 10 seconds until you realize they add up to nothing more than superfluous jargon that happens to have the same suffix. i will wirte you a rap that trumps any juelz rap in 3 minutes and will be as complex as anythign hes gone gold with.

i really take issue with the dipset dickride. i can get with some cam tracks, and ill buy an album or a mixtape because i value good entertainment. but to hail them as savoirs of an artform is so misguided it makes me want to beat your unborn children. just get over it. rap is huge, theres more good art in the world of hip hop than you know what to do with. to give props to such a blahzay posse of dummies is to take a shit on a form of expression that has so much more to offer.

i think the cool kids are without question a fad

but i dont think they're necessarily a gimmick

i doubt they consciously created these 'charachters' that they are as a gimmick..i wouldn't give them that much credit... i think they are just some dudes, like many others in the Chi that try way too hard to be unique/ "fly" and just happened to get lucky on their timing...obviously they appeal to an audience so now they're running with it.

Greetings Sufu.

since this is the GOOD NEW hip hop thread...i thought this would be appropriate...

The people of Real Mango Juice dot com have recently done their 1st interview on Washington DC's own undergound hip hop artist...X.O.

He has come a long way since doing open mics at Beat Grinder and currently has an ep coming out called TIMELESS produced by well known producer in DC by the name of Judah! (who has worked with an extensive number of artist within the industry)

also in the interview, you will be able to hear a few tracks from the album + unreleased music spacifically for Real Mango Juice.

we would just like to here your opinion/comments on the interview as well as his music.

Comments to be left on Real Mango Juice

(scroll down to see the interview) "XO REPPIN UPTOWN BABY!"

also check out some footage of our Big homie Wale who appeared at the HighLine Ballroom alongside Pete Rock on the 28th.

Thanks. all comments welcomed.

pc.

I highly recommend you guys check out that new Torae mixtape. Its gonna be the album you listen to in your drop top this summer.

Heres the thing....Everything you just said about Dipset is EXACTLY why The Cool Kids are dope. What exactly makes them hipsters? Wearing dunks and slim jeans? Name brands like Supreme, Undefeated, and Huff? You must also think SuFu is lame and gimmicky too, then.
Ktothe brings the real. cool kids are a definate gimmick, but they cater to a scene that wants nothing but gimmicks.
i think the cool kids are without question a fad

but i dont think they're necessarily a gimmick

i doubt they consciously created these 'charachters' that they are as a gimmick..i wouldn't give them that much credit... i think they are just some dudes, like many others in the Chi that try way too hard to be unique/ "fly" and just happened to get lucky on their timing...obviously they appeal to an audience so now they're running with it.

On a final note, Cool Kids are 19 and haven't brought out an album yet, so whilst they have annoying fans I guess (pretty much like every rap group) I think judging them on some anti hype beast shit alone is pretty dumb. Especially with the love Lupe recieves in this thread (not starting that again). Wait till they have an official release; I bet it'll have some brainless bangers to match any dipset or whatever on that level..

re: cool kids....i agree with you dudes above. i think theyre great, but also think they have little to no substance. i dont give a fuck whether theyre 'real' or hipster poseurs.....to me, they make fun music that is easy to listen to. i wouldnt want to only listen to music that is deeper, more aware, more 'real' or whatever, no matter what the genre. theres a time and place for music with depth to it, and when i listen to the cool kids, its definitely not that time.

guilty simpson - ode to the ghetto......

fucking awesome.

i saw aesop rock and rob sonic on sunday. they were good, but the sound was fucking terrible. it was a real shame, as id been waiting for ace to get his ass to perth for 5 or 6 years. great show, it just wouldve been more suited to a dark club than a big ass tent with 15m high roof at a festival.

aes's live show is kinda weird. that dudes voice is so fucking insane and if he could jump around and get me amped he might be my favorite live act ever. then again, his content and style dont call for much energy. so you just kind of stand there and agree with him but your not hyped or nothing.

So true. No neck breaking from head bobbing, just a slightly sore neck from solemn nods of agreement.

But I suppose thats what Rob is for.

You guys checked out that new Akrobatic right?

"I dont drive no more but Ak-ur-a-legend".

Yeah apparently he's still going strong. He's got a collabo with B-Real and one with Chuck D. IMO its probably his best outing yet. Real solid rhyme scheme and some pretty nice production with classic samples. Give it a listen.

Tonight I was feeling a little useless at work. I needed some inspiration and I accidentally left The Blueprint at home. Instead, i listened to Jeezy - Thug Motivation. I love hustler music when i'm getting my hustle on.

Anyone else have similar habits?

Tonight I was feeling a little useless at work. I needed some inspiration and I accidentally left The Blueprint at home. Instead, i listened to Jeezy - Thug Motivation. I love hustler music when i'm getting my hustle on.

Anyone else have similar habits?

Yeah, I usually deviate from my norm. tastes of music if the music can coorelate with what I am doing. I prob. never listen to T.I. for example, but when it's sunny out and I got my top down low..that is the song of choice.

Anybody listen to GRYNCH? Maybe you ktothe, since your from the area as well?

His new cd is pretty amazing, I'm loving all the tracks on it.

http://www.myspace.com/grynchmusic

Never heard of him before. He's not bad. Sorta sounds like he's on some NY shit, which im not sure how to take.