good hip hop

Buy this album. Seriously. 7L went absolutely bananas on production and every MC came with hunger. Its a themed album more than a concept album, but it ends up being an arena for exceptionally high tier competition between experienced MCs. I thought about trying to pull quotables to put in the thread but there are too many. Its just one after another.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Favorite Roots track. Black Thought is just such an incredible MC.

Laugh sample is perfect.

I feel a lot of people overlook The Roots' early career and associate them with their newer albums and the kids who don't really like hip hop but like the new Roots shit because it is approachable/"alternative"/"underground"/safe/etc hip hop.

Do You Want More??!?!?!?! and Illadelph Halflife are two of my favorite hip hop albums. Classics.

• 2 weeks later...

KRS-One - Build Ya Skillz

from his self titled album.

I always go back and forth between the self titled and Return of the Boom Bap as my favorite KRS-One album. I'm sure some older cat could come in and say that it was one of his earlier albums with BDP, but I feel like they haven't had the lasting power that say Eric B and Rakim had from that late 80s era.

Anyways, regarding the self titled KRS album, I used to think that MCs Act Like They Don't Know was my favorite track off the album. Over the years, however, it had become really clear to me that Build Ya Skillz is actually my favorite. It isn't quite as catchy, and you won't start jumping and shit immediately like you would with MCs Act Like They Don't Know, but it has this rawness. Very simple beat, just bass and drums; leaves room for KRS to just stomp all over the beat however he wants. It gets out of the way to give him room, and KRS gets to really shine with his lyrics, rhymes, delivery (he has the best fucking delivery I swear), etc.

<3 KRS

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tkX_lhdrZg4

Capitol Hill Block Party, July 27th. Been wanting to see both of these guys for a long time.

qqKhPH2.jpg

Listened to the album twice through today. Highly recommended. 

6emF84X.jpg

I honestly don't even know. Apollo Brown on some insane shit. I already loved this project and yet I now find myself listening to it again and enjoying it even more.