good hip hop

I wanna like the album, but part of me keeps calling Common a fucking hypocrite. It just irks me that the dude who was pussy-whipped by Erykah (so much so that he made a fucking love song), and put out universal mind control, has the gall to call anyone's music "soft." And I really don't give much of a shit when it comes to drake.

I liked Be and Finding Forever so much that I was able to forgive Universal Mind Control and move on as if it never happened. But, truthfully, I think I am hip hop'd out. It's as if I woke up one day after listening to the genre primarily for the last ten years and concluded I was fed up with what has become of it.

Edited by Shoreman

I appreciate that you didn't come out swinging with that 'new hip-hop sucks' shit. Because you're obviously right about the music changing (as it should I think) and that's cool if you don't wanna fuck with it anymore.

Personally, I feel like shit was stale for a minute, but in the last 2 years or so hip-hop has been great/fun/crazy in my opinion.

I agree with heflys on the common/drake shit though. I pretty much ignored Drake until last year and I enjoy Take Care actually (didnt want to, but I do). I haven't checked for Common since Be. That verse on College Dropout is still really dope though.

even with all the flocka and gucci love on here that's a minority opinion. Ferrari Boyz was just okay. Waka topped my list for 2010 though. Along with Roc Marciano.

The 'lol new hip hop' sucks thing bothers me for some reason. I can't seem to stop arguing with people on the internet about it. The internet has been really good to hip-hop. There are corners of the internet for every possible niche.

Action's cool. He seems to have shown interest in stepping away from the 90's nostalgia shit some. Atleast production-wise. I saw some random performance video where he declared he's only fucking with 'wavy' beats now and denounced the '90s shit'.

I liked Be and Finding Forever so much that I was able to forgive Universal Mind Control and move on as if it never happened. But, truthfully, I think I am hip hop'd out. It's as if I woke up one day after listening to the genre primarily for the last ten years and concluded I was fed up with what has become of it.

Well, personally, since rappers began to promote themselves more actively on the internet, I've found rap to be a bit refreshing as of late. IMHO, it seems rappers are taking more risks. But that mostly applies to the underground (or however folks label it).

Personally, I'm tired of people trying to emulate rap music from almost 20 years ago. It shows a lack of imagination and ambition. It's equivalent to some of the crap getting air time on the radio. Just another type of lazy. And I'm tired of seeing comments "about real hip-hop," on every youtube vid. Not saying that's what you meant, but it's just something I've been reflecting on for a while.

If I want to reach for 90's sounding rap, I know where to look. I don't need to hear someone's failed/modern day attempt at trying to emulate DJ Premier/Pete Rock. LOL.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=btSv_HUPX8k

Edited by heflys

I'm wondering if the 'taking more risks' is something that rappers are doing actively because it's pretty cool to be a weirdo right now? Or if there is a freedom presented to them on the internet that was not there before (or atleast the weirdos have an outlet to reach people, whereas before you needed someone on the radio or another rapper or A&R or someone to notice you first.

Either way, I think it is a good thing and I like it. There are lots of interesting characters rapping well right now.

The 'lol new hip hop' sucks thing bothers me for some reason. I can't seem to stop arguing with people on the internet about it. The internet has been really good to hip-hop. There are corners of the internet for every possible niche.

Action's cool. He seems to have shown interest in stepping away from the 90's nostalgia shit some. Atleast production-wise. I saw some random performance video where he declared he's only fucking with 'wavy' beats now and denounced the '90s shit'.

Since when is new hip-hop a niche ? It is probably the most popular genre today (at least with the youth).

Action is cool. Ghostface sounds but with doper beats and flow imo

I didn't mean hip-hop itself was a niche genre. Obviously it dominates here in the states.

I'm saying that now every little corner of hip-hop can have it's own larger audience now. It's easier for some dudes in Alabama to independently cultivate a fanbase worldwide. It's easier for some skate kids to get their funny, angsty music out to everyone.

There's people like Danny Brown who seems to be known all across the internet, but known barely at all outside of it unless you're in Detroit. (I'm assuming at least, there are lots of artists you could say this about).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...