good hip hop

I'm one listen in and don't think ima get it.

If I have a compliment to lend it at this point it's that it's a very well-studied exhibition of regional styles. I understand why people want to love him, even though I can't tell him from whoever else is in his crew but I just came around, but all these kids are so well versed with the hallmark quirks of every sub-genre of popular rap that the mass appeal is astounding. I don't particularly have confidence in the lyrics, but it's aesthetically brilliant. And one of the beats blew my mind but I didn't catch the title. Will report back after more listens.

He's a kid who raps and listens to hip hop. I don't picture him, or SpaceghostPurrrrp, or Main Attrakionz, or any of that camp as the type that would pore over lyrics and study the artist's relationship to the music in order to form a style of their own, or attempt some sort of aggregate meta rap style in order to wow listeners and capture the widest market. There's good hip hop from everywhere, and all of it is influential in its own way. All the shit people say about Rocky is derived from their own confusion as to how this marriage of styles occurred. I really struggle to imagine Rocky sitting down when he wrote his verse to Purple Swag and be like "Man, I'm gonna hit them with some Lord Infamous for 8", or "Man, I'm gonna Drake these hoes". The music would be horrible and obviously contrived if that were the case. Historicity breathes through all music, Rocky is just a more open vessel to the fact and doesn't fight it. The production behind him is top notch and could easily mesh with a myriad of styles, and that's exactly what he and his cohorts deliver: a weird amalgamation of styles past and present. And I think it's fucking dope.

He's a kid who raps and listens to hip hop. I don't picture him, or SpaceghostPurrrrp, or Main Attrakionz, or any of that camp as the type that would pore over lyrics and study the artist's relationship to the music in order to form a style of their own, or attempt some sort of aggregate meta rap style in order to wow listeners and capture the widest market. There's good hip hop from everywhere, and all of it is influential in its own way. All the shit people say about Rocky is derived from their own confusion as to how this marriage of styles occurred. I really struggle to imagine Rocky sitting down when he wrote his verse to Purple Swag and be like "Man, I'm gonna hit them with some Lord Infamous for 8", or "Man, I'm gonna Drake these hoes". The music would be horrible and obviously contrived if that were the case. Historicity breathes through all music, Rocky is just a more open vessel to the fact and doesn't fight it. The production behind him is top notch and could easily mesh with a myriad of styles, and that's exactly what he and his cohorts deliver: a weird amalgamation of styles past and present. And I think it's fucking dope.

You just said what I was trying to say and at the same time contradicted my point so ima tryn go deeper so we can both expand the mental.

These dudes are definately coming from a fan perspective where you can feel their undying allegiance to any and all sub categorizations of rap music. I fuck with that because I bump everything that moves me. And you can easily hear that these dudes been moved by everything too. But if you think they aren't conscious of their references/allusions/homages, I'd say your missing the best aspect of the tape. On the first track he appropriates and restructures mos def's scheme from the corner remix and then works it right into a bone thugs flow in the span of 4 bars. It may be tongue in cheek or even a happy accident but it gives you the sense that you know what they were jammin to in the booth before they recorded or were bumpin in the ride en route to the studio. That's nostalgic darts for your think box.

My only hesitation is that these dudes are clearly scholars but they don't necessarily have anything fresh to say. History and technical skills do not a fine rapper make. And there's some obvious 'drake these hoes' and drop tempo hooks/refrains that are ptretty obvious panders to radio playability, or just rap nerd eyebrow winks. This guy knows what the fuck he's doing in terms of marketing. But hype and content don't usually overlap and as much as I enjoy this shit so far, he hasn't really spit not one line where I feel like I'd put my $14 toward his show/album/tshirt/shoecollab/whathaveyou.

This 2.0 rise to fame is some rugged terrain to navigate. Kreayshawn got a mil for a viral video and is a laughing stock at face value already. Odd future is on their 14th minute and pitchfork stopped caring about lil b exactly 32 seconds after I'm gay leaked. Rocky can actually rap and is obviously not on course to flash and fizzle but there's no way rapping about goth ninja jawnz and being pretty is gonna recoup a $3M investment unless homie ponies up with the skillset quick fast.

This 2.0 rise to fame is some rugged terrain to navigate. Kreayshawn got a mil for a viral video and is a laughing stock at face value already. Odd future is on their 14th minute and pitchfork stopped caring about lil b exactly 32 seconds after I'm gay leaked.

See that's the thing. Does anyone give a fuck about OF anymore? They're just touring like dogs trying to cash in on Tyler fame. I can't imagine anyone's going to care about any camp releases 1/8th as much as people were gassed up for Goblin.

I'm sure their tours are doing great. Obviously the initial hype has died down, but it annoys me to see all these dudes that fucking loved them turn into 'we off that'.

I'm sure the next Mellowhype release will be dope and I'll keep checking for Tyler's music. He's good at rapping.

I'm sure their tours are doing great. Obviously the initial hype has died down, but it annoys me to see all these dudes that fucking loved them turn into 'we off that'.

I'm sure the next Mellowhype release will be dope and I'll keep checking for Tyler's music. He's good at rapping.

I think a lot of people just want to disassociate with the new OF fans, who are all like angry white high school kids who like dubstep too.

lolwut, there's a song on take care called underground kings, produced by 9th wonder? who allowed that to happen? someone's gotta get struck by lightning for that one

edit can someone pls tell the big ghost dude to write something other than these endless reviews. I wanna see more wild nonsense on there not just the same jokes over and over or whatever

that DOOM interview was the shit, real inspiring. DOOM is for the children

Fam, you need to get on some shyheim if your gonna fuck with the wu special teams
and killa killa army

we share a giggle and a heineken

we sittin on the corner wit my niggas yelling klila kick the rhyme again

yo

wu is the squad! Killarmy is grimey, the rugged child is nice.