good hip hop

Just because Hiphop lost you, or you lost Hiphop doesn't make you the authority on Shit...other than your own experience. And that's it.

That pretty much sums it up. phr... You're just another dude who fell off and decided that hip hop isn't relevant anymore 'cause you put some years into it and "grew up." You and Steven Blush would have a jolly old time talking about how certain genres in music have died since you left it.

they're? than?

whose the dumbass here, you got some nerve commenting on other people's typing when you're not any better! you said it yourself, "we're on a goddam computer".

(and just incase your thinking about making smart-ass remarks about my typing: take into consideration that english isn't my native language)

Haha, I was just gonna say the same exact thing. Pwned.

oh, and look out for strange fruit projects new release, the healing.

bought it when it came out, was a bit dissapointed overall but still some decent tracks.

some new stuff worth checking out:

j5.gif

Jurassic 5 - feedback

ins.gif

Inspectah Deck - The Resident Patient

blackmilk.gif

Black Milk - Sound of the City

the new J5 was dope as hell! new Roots, wasn't feeling that much. I love the track with Peedi but soem of the stuff is a bit strange..

oh, and look out for strange fruit projects new release, the healing.

bought it when it came out, was a bit dissapointed overall but still some decent tracks.

some new stuff worth checking out:

j5.gif

Jurassic 5 - feedback

ins.gif

Inspectah Deck - The Resident Patient

blackmilk.gif

Black Milk - Sound of the City

the new J5 was dope as hell! new Roots, wasn't feeling that much. I love the track with Peedi but soem of the stuff is a bit strange..

love the album, real new york ish. the production is sick throughout, Buckwild, Primo, Ski..

other new stuff:

Talib Kweli's new video: http://www.myspace.com/talibkweli

new track by Saigon: http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/audio/id.412

still need to check new masta killa, J Dilla, Kenn Starr...

Looks like Kweli is putting on a free concert in New York on the 26th!

and I'll be in NYC from Toronto for that weekend =) SICK!

Cormega & Lake...My Brother's Keeper...August 22nd

Mega is one of the best rappers spitting period. So check for that in your local mom & pop.

Yeah, Mega has been my favorite MC since The Realness dropped. I saw him live in 2004 with Lake, Dona, and Immortal Technique. That was such a sick show, it was right before Legal Hustle dropped. And I saw him live again in 2005 for the release party of the Testament.

Retail of my Brother's Keeper already hit the net, and it doesn't disappoint (except for one recycled beat from a previous Mega solo .. not sure why they did that), if you haven't heard it yet and want to, hit me up.

more:

Little Brother - Step Off: http://www.hiphopgame.com/player.php?id=1217

sick track!

Sha Stimuli on Kay Slay:

Black Out was not bad but goddamn when Stimuli gets it on! :o

"Colder than january, february march april, not april cuz april rains,

may is warm, I got july in my pocket the heat is on"

Stimuli - Brooklyn Stand up:

Stimuli ft. Joel Ortiz - Countdown: http://www.hiphopgame.com/player.php?id=1300

hi mike

i just discovered this thread and i'm surprised that so much people are 'against' hip-hop...

i listen most of the time to drum & bass but i got a lot of hip hop also...stuff like 'the roots, mos def, beastie boys, talib kweli, nas, blackalicious and so on.

i prefer hip hop that is not that mainstream but theres always the possibility to find a good track even on mtv! for me the roots are the best example that hip hop is not just bling, bitches money and cars...!

Gotta agree that some of the current stuff out there is pure garbage. I've recently been out of tune but this is what I primarily listened to back in the mid to late 90s - mostly independent labels and artists.

Word.

Pharcyde

Souls of Mischief

Freestyle Fellowship

Latyrx

Blackilicious

Abstract Tribe Unique

Shapeshifters

AWOL

Aceyalone

Living Legends

Project Blow Camp

OMD

Guest Fade to Black

i just bought Idlewild...i'm about halfway through my first listen, didn't download any tracks before the purchase, and I have to say I'm fucking floored so far. I wouldn't even consider this a hip hop album really (although damn Dre for teasing us with the bits and pieces of spitting, the man can still rip a verse like it's nothing), Kast is on some transcendent shit.

"Morris Brown" is so good it's criminal.

Guest Fade to Black
wow interesting to hear someone say that, I haven had a chance to listen to it yet but I really disliked morris brown, to me it sounds like just a bad pop song.

I dunno, I thought i wouldn't like the song when i first read the description of how Dre used a southern college marching band style song, that drumline shit isn't up my alley...but when i heard it i was pleasantly surprised, the chorus is what gets me especially...the way the whole instrumentals were flipped was just fresh as fuck to me.

the album gets a bit more experimental towards the second half, but the first half is probably the illest side of an album, in any genre, that i've heard in a long ass time. I've read critics online say Dre 3000 is on some watered down Prince shit, but what he's doin sounds cool as hell to me, even though I'm a fan of 80s Prince, i sense the influence but i think Dre's on some other shit at this point. I just wish he'd rap more. I'd say this is Big Boi's album though, dude sounds possessed on this album.

Guest Fade to Black

I'm glad this album came out to keep my music faith restored for the second half of the year, it's the only album i've bought all summer. Pharrell's album disappointed greatly, it sounded uninspired and disposable, and i had high hopes for that.

Anbody heard the new Inspectah Deck mixtape, The Resident Patient?

It's apparently the real deal too, so hopefully it will be released sometime soon.

That'll be Wu Tang releasin' two of my favorite albums this year.

this album is sick, Inspectah Deck can remain below the radar, but still rip a mic like it's nothing.

the new J5 was dope as hell!

Did you like it right away or after a few listens? I am a huge J5 fan and I was disappointed with this album, but I have only had time to listen to it once.

I think Idlewild is a hugely forgettable album. I miss The Southernplaya to Aquemini days. Andre needs to stop singing and start rapping. Mighty O was great.

yea pharells album was crap :x

papoose is killing right now, the man is on a mixtape mission, its getting obscene. nacirema dream is gonna rip peoples faces off.

the clipse, the we got it 4 cheap mixtapes were ridiculous, and hell hath no fure will probably be equally nice if the tapes are any indication

one man army is still running shit too, binary star were the illest group around and now OMA is killing the solo tip

doom and ghostface!!!!!

Anbody heard the new Inspectah Deck mixtape, The Resident Patient?

It's apparently the real deal too, so hopefully it will be released sometime soon.

That'll be Wu Tang releasin' two of my favorite albums this year.

this album is sick, Inspectah Deck can remain below the radar, but still rip a mic like it's nothing.

mentioned it above, its an album actually, not a tape. a dope one.

Did you like it right away or after a few listens? I am a huge J5 fan and I was disappointed with this album, but I have only had time to listen to it once.

I've been a huge J5 fan for long, however I didnt like Power In Numbers too much so Feedback was a positive surprise for me. I liked most of it right away actually.

yea pharells album was crap :x

papoose is killing right now, the man is on a mixtape mission, its getting obscene. nacirema dream is gonna rip peoples faces off.

the clipse, the we got it 4 cheap mixtapes were ridiculous, and hell hath no fure will probably be equally nice if the tapes are any indication

one man army is still running shit too, binary star were the illest group around and now OMA is killing the solo tip

doom and ghostface!!!!!

good to see someone else feeling papoose, dude actually just got signed!

along with Stimuli and Lupe hes one of the dopes cats right now

well, to be honest I'm happy as long as he keeps pushing any material, I'm of course waiting for the album but then again it might not be up to expectations, the usual ny mixtape mc deal :P

just listened to outkast quicky, definately positive feelings about it, I was surprised

oh and a new dope vid from Roots,

Guest Fade to Black

sean_ : Good call on Clipse, that's my most anticipated hip hop album for the moment....Lord Willin still gets a regular spot in my rotation up to this day.

For some reason I feel really apathetic about the upcoming Nas album...based on the things he's said about it in current interviews, I have a feeling it's going to be another 'i am...' (the retail, not the bootleg): Occasional moments of brilliance, otherwise mostly forgettable.

Another mash-up album from djbc (who produced the excellent Philip Glass/Hip-Hop "Glassbreaks" album), this time featuring vocals from the Wu-Tang Clan over dixieland jazz tunes. It's a thing to hear. Online for free, and probably only until the cease-and-desist letter comes.

I listened to the samples on the site, seems interesting enough.

http://djbc.net/mashes/wu/

Gave Dirty Brass a whilrl, seemed decent enough, I'm torrenting the rest at the moment. I'm guessing the rest of it'll be fairly mediocre, as these over-hyped "hey look what I stick together" mixtapes usually are. I'm not convinced that anyone on that site (Boing Boing) would know good hip hop if it hit them in the face, considering they seem to flip out everytime someone releases the latest ironic whatever x modern rappers shit.

Whatever.

feelin':

DeLaSoul MixCD (best since Stakes is..)

JDilla The Shining (select tracks only)

Qtip LP (pretty much just the JDilla track)

3 beat CDs of JDilla (100+ beats in total)

People Under The Stairs, Stepfather

Jneiro Jarel, 3 piece puzzle

Daybre beats (nothing off the LP except the Ghost 12")

that's about it in the past 2 years..

just got a roots promo sampler in the mail, so i can't comment on that, but the single was underwhelming to me.