good hip hop

I'm not hating on the Roots here, but (and this is a but that's been bothering me for a while) isn't the hype like this before every single album they have dropped since Things Fall Apart? There's mad buzz on the low, and inititally the album is perceived as genius, but then after two months everybody has moved on. It's like the only time you hear anything from these guys is in anticipation of a new album.

every album gets old after two months of release because people get the leak 3 months in advance and theres so much shit on the market that theres no need to dwell on a single piece of art. its fucked up, man. its not like there arent acts doing classic material anymore (which i think the roots still do) its just the the audiences attention span has got collectively shorter. blame downloading and major labels making every crew push a radio single, or blame the over saturate indie/underground market or blame yourself for being too numb. or get over it and bask in all the great shit people are putting out that you can have for free if you want it. and stop hating on the roots cause they own you.

Yo ktothe: hook me up with that lmno. i havnt peeped him since he was fucking with battleaxe. i always thought his flow/voice were mad basic for a whole albums worth, but i still enjoyed him. drop the science.

Wow...my boy told me to turn on mTV2 cause of some YO! MTV RAPS tribute they are doing...I thought this meant showing old eps with the videos attached...so I turn on, pleasantly greeted, but not really surprised, by Black Sheep's "Choice Is Yours"...cool. Then all of a sudden (I guess) the new Lil Wayne video comes on.

Okay...in more ways than one...it makes so much sense that Lil Wayne is the favorite amongst hipsters across the streets and dancefloors of Brooklyn and the downtown area.

But seriously...grown men singing about lollypops...wow...they should just stop fronting and open those closet doors. That shit was seriously like the old SNL cartoon skit...no amount of fake titty cleavage could save that from being just flaming.

Dont really have much to add to that but a head nod.

Actually...im really tired of Wayne biting Jiggas steez. Its pretty fucking annoying. His newest track is basically Allure.

This is hot though...a perfect ending to the 52 week release. :

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/audio/id.4574/title.crooked-i-hip-hop-weekly-52-the-finale

EDIT:

What the fuck? I was still listening to this track as I posted it. I dont want to spoil it but theres a few bars over some beats that will trip you out.

WOW. Looky what I found...haven't been this excited for The Roots since Illadelph Halflife. First Styles P...now Peedi (again)...two of my favorites.

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/audio/id.4398/title.the-roots-f-dice-raw-peedi-crakk-dj-jazzy-jeff-get-busy

Peedi crushes shit. I'm glad the Roots got off that neo-soul crap and are back on their shit.

Plus I just heard Outkast & Rae's "Royal Flush"...jeezus.

• 2 weeks later...

Guys...

The new Atmosphere...On first listen I KNEW it was painfully aparent this was one of the best hiphop albums to ever be released. Ant and Slug have grown up so much. Its a beautiful thing to hear Slug go back to more of the personal shit and spit it with such confidence that even if you dont relate you can feel it. I happen to relate, and feel it. I highly suggest you give it a listen. The lyrics are amazing, even the singing. The production is amazing. The vibe is amazing. Check it out.

The new Atmosphere...On first listen I KNEW it was painfully aparent this was one of the best hiphop albums to ever be released. Ant and Slug have grown up so much. Its a beautiful thing to hear Slug go back to more of the personal shit and spit it with such confidence that even if you dont relate you can feel it. I happen to relate, and feel it. I highly suggest you give it a listen. The lyrics are amazing, even the singing. The production is amazing. The vibe is amazing. Check it out.

thanks for the heads up, will check as soon as I can

Listened through it yesterday, pretty much what I had expected. Not terrible, but not great either. Return of the Mac was a stronger release.

first listen

i want out is strong, young veterans not bad

wait for the second listen

I like it a lot more than Return Of The Mac.

There some retarded lyric that doesnt even rhyme that I love...''dont be mad at me, be mad at yourself, for being so garbabe you need to be kilt'

Listened to HNIC 2...

He drops a few jewels throughout the joint...I def. appreciate the fact that he chose to take the paranoid/conspiracy theory route rather than doing any silly G-Unit inspired tracks (other than mentioning 50/Yayo on a song or two and doing his best Curtis Jackson imitation during a verse on "Real Power..."). It's not GREAT...nowhere near the first (but who was expecting that anyway?)...the production is especially lackluster...surprisingly.

The beats aren't not BAD...but some of the joints definitely sound budget...like pseudo-Mobb Deep production...a few joints stand out for sure, but it's something in the way the shit was mixed. It's a little strange...I looked up the credits on Wikipedia, and if they are correct, even the Alchemist and Havoc joints sounded a little flimsy and "out of character" to me...for Alc, I couldn't even tell most of those were his. The joints all had good samples and what not...but overall...it lacked the "umph" and cohesiveness of Return of the Mac. Is that because Return was all by Alchemist...might be...but as I said, Alc's shit was kinda "cardboard" sounding, especially the drums on "Veteran's Memorial II" IMO. The random efx on certain songs...like the "screwed up" or the "airplane" (as heard on "Young Veterans") were weird as well.

Budget mix and all, the Havoc joints and "It's Nothing" (by Alc?) stood out to me...along with "ABC" and a few others by Sid Roam...but yeah, I definitely prefer Return Of The Mac over this one.

I like the hook and message to "Real Power Is People"...but the 50 Cent antics in his delivery kills me. What's also funny is that he's on some "fuck wasting money on material bullshit" then the next song he's talking about whips and what not. He's a funny character.

As a city kid, the skit about chocolate and haze is hilarious. Gotta be some outer boroughs motherfuckers still on that chocolate bullshit after '96...soundin' like some straight Brooklyn cats.

That roots album has been leaked. I havent listened to it yet, though...

It's pretty sick. More experimental than Game Theory but still rather dark, sonically. I think it's better than Game Theory, mostly because it's way more consistent. All the guest spots are on point as well, except for Styles P and maybe Chrisette. Both Common and Kweli kills their verses.

What the fuck was Styles talking about?

"look at technology, they call it downloading,

I call it downsizing, somebody follow me,

does a computer chip have an astrology,

and when it fuck up, could it give you an apology?"

i really like the new atmos although i think its kinda one dimensional. luckily that dimension is pretty fucking wicked. slug is back on some workinclass everyman anti hero shit and it fits him well. i fucks with it.

What the fuck was Styles talking about?

"look at technology, they call it downloading,

I call it downsizing, somebody follow me,

does a computer chip have an astrology,

and when it fuck up, could it give you an apology?"

Uhm I haven't heard thatt verse in a m inute but he's just saying that computers will be running things in the near future...instead of humans. When things go wrong, it's going all to shit no questions asked.

I think he killed it/made the song...but if you've read this thread for the last few months, you'd know that I fully support S.P...no matter how much piff he smokes before constructing a verse. Some people can and some can't get with it...just like how I can't listen to shit like Aesop Rock or Slug.