Rick Owens F/W 12.13 Paris

bill

Dazed Digital: What was the starting point to the collection?

Rick Owens: This season, the womens became more of a brutalist expression. I’m talking about this part in all of us that suppresses a savage quality. It kind of came together when I got the music for the show – it’s a track that is very controlled. We all carry this savage impulse and I’m fascinated with what would happen if we slipped up. And so we go through this elaborate process of suppressing this urge with elegance and that’s what this collection was about.

DD: There was a softness to the collection though: that apricot pink, the blanket checks. Was there a touch of vulnerability?

Rick Owens: I thought about it more as a form of control. It’s pink in a Marlene Dietrich controlled way. It’s insisting on softness and forcefully saying soft. But I don’t like to be too menacing and I do like to have a soft approachable feeling to what I do. The menace, well, there’s something quite enjoyable about that.

DD: Is that how the slashed masks came in?

Rick Owens: The funny thing was that the hats were supposed to be more of a veil. It wasn’t supposed to be this Hannibal Lecter thing that some people might see. There’s something about marking a women’s face that can be very violent that I don’t approve of. I don’t like the idea of putting women in uncomfortable situations. They were meant to be coquettish in a very contemporary way.

868592.jpg

868601.jpg

868610.jpg

868619.jpg

868628.jpg

868637.jpg

868646.jpg

868655.jpg

868664.jpg

868673.jpg