china :: beijing :: general

Q

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

there's a healthy amount of new 'high roller' type places in the general sanlitun area, though i suppose it depends on what you mean by that. any of the gongti clubs will be chock full of porsche driving kids spending thousands of euros a night on chivas and green tea (witness the 5litre whiskey bottles on the tables), but they're doing it more with an eye towards some manner of nouveau hedonism than anything even vaguely resembling class.

try mesh & punk at opposite house, lan club (shudder) at the twin towers, xiu at yin tai or d lounge (hidden in slt south, but can be a pain in the ass to get in if they don't know you, or so i've heard....david lachappelle threw a little private party there a few days ago, so it's probably the spot in the city at the moment). the 'm on the bund' group will be opening a beijing outpost of glamour bar in the north village in a couple of months as well, that will be a good bet.

all these places have a pretty seriously different clientele than latte, lush and (especially) kai, so bear that in mind...

there's a healthy amount of new 'high roller' type places in the general sanlitun area, though i suppose it depends on what you mean by that. any of the gongti clubs will be chock full of porsche driving kids spending thousands of euros a night on chivas and green tea (witness the 5litre whiskey bottles on the tables), but they're doing it more with an eye towards some manner of nouveau hedonism than anything even vaguely resembling class.

WELL PUT! ! !

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

So I'm all registered at my university in Hangzhou but the internet blocks a shitload of sites like flickr, facebook, etc.

Anyway I can get pass this? I've heard about a "proxy server" but really have no idea how to access one. Googled it and there was a bunch of IP addresses but didn't know if it was safe...any help sufunators?

Guest umhaha84
I have found brand new apc's with tags there selling for around 250RMB ($35) and they are in the market just because the tag has a tear in it, so it cant be sold in the apc store.

lol $35 APC with tags sounds AUTHENTIC>

well actually it happens a lot : quality control refused products or extra quantity produced get their labels cut so they cannot be sold in store - however factories are allowed to sell them in the market if they remove or cut the labels. I have shit load of Jap brands like that I purchased in Shanghai for 1/3 the price, definitely worth it.

• 2 weeks later...
So I'm all registered at my university in Hangzhou but the internet blocks a shitload of sites like flickr, facebook, etc.

Anyway I can get pass this? I've heard about a "proxy server" but really have no idea how to access one. Googled it and there was a bunch of IP addresses but didn't know if it was safe...any help sufunators?

Get an account with surfbouncer.com, it's by far the best VPN I've come across.

• 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 9 months later...

Going to Beijing in a few weeks- what to do there?!

Going to Beijing in two weeks- what to do there?!

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

I just played a show at the new Club 5F at The Place (same complex as Spark) and the club was pretty amazingly equipped. Huge floor, big LED walls, etc. Can't imagine what the budget was.  Can't attest to the DJs on the day to day but def a nice spot. 

Beijing has great selection, shame the markup is so high. 

Beijing in a nutshell.

Seriously though, if you're in Beijing go drink and eat to your heart's content. Markups are hella lame and Beijing isn't too fashionable anyway so who really cares.