china :: beijing :: general

Q

Lane Crawford are now selling Ksubi. Also, check out a shopping centre on Sunlitan - i thnk its called Matchpoint or 3x3, or maybe that is 2 centres next to each other - but there are some interesting local boutiques selling anything from original brands to copies to local brands.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 112
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm in Beijing visiting my girlfriend through early January. Anybody have any recommendations for what to do for new years eve or maybe a nice restaurant I could take her before I leave? I don't think she'll want to go to Pizza Hut again.

If any beijing sufuer's wanna grab a beer or recommend a nice cheap restaurant directly near a subway station shoot me a pm.

Hey,

I'm in Beijing for the next few days and I'm wondering where some good spots are to chill out. I'm staying at the Peninsula Beijing and I just took a walk outside. Seems theres just a bunch of hookers around this area, but that might just be cuz I'm not familiar with the area. Any advice would be great.

Thanks,

Marcus

• 4 months later...

I will be in Beijing for a month starting in 3 days. I have read everything in the Beijing thread, but it seems a bit outdated, and I know there are so many new stores opening for the olympics. Anyone in Beijing right now, or can give me any new recommendations? Can you get japanese brands in beijing such as visvim?

You'll have to sort through all the fake shit or get ripped off if you want real Japanese street stuff. I wouldn't bother in Beijing. Even though the Olympics are coming up to be honest there isn't really anything dope in the city besides historical tourist shit. Get some shark fin soup though, next level.

Already got shark fin soup on the agenda, I'm psyched about it.I realize that I should wait to do most of my shopping at the end of my trip in hong kong (will be there for 6 days), but I know beijing has some unique bootleg/electronics markets and stuff like that and was wondering if anyone had any experience with the city.

Last time I was back was about a year and a half ago but the shopping in Beijing is just not worth it. Casual income among the younger set is just not there yet so all the "good" stores are still pretty much catering to conservative older businessmen and their much younger accessory-loving fuckgirls. The big European flagships are great but why pay the Chinese markup?

I walked around the electronic markets a bit. Pretty cool but no great bargains to be had on newer stuff plus if you don't speak Chinese it will be a huge hassle to buy. If you're foreign you're going to be swamped by scammers and vendors that it takes the joy out of shopping.

Honestly if you are in Beijing forget buying for a second and soak up the atmosphere of China's most historical city that is on its last breaths of still having any relevance with the past. Walk around, see the sites, eat some street food. The people watching and the atmosphere should be amazing this summer. I'll be back for about 3 weeks for the Olympics and I can't wait.

Honestly if you are in Beijing forget buying for a second and soak up the atmosphere of China's most historical city that is on its last breaths of still having any relevance with the past. Walk around, see the sites, eat some street food.

+1

get someone who knows what's up (i.e. not a tour guide or whatever) to take you through a hutong or two

be careful vis a vis street food though

i wasn't there long enough to really have much advice to offer

goes without saying you should always be wary of getting hustled, for just about anything

buy some cheap fake shit, though, 'cause it's fun

also, get lit on baijiu as often as possible

vile stuff, but damn do i miss it

I have been living in Beijing for 2 years now. I can give you a few pointers that should help you out.

I would stay away from the big trade markets where all the foreigners go. They are full of shit.

As soon as they see you're foreign the price will get doubled, so always haggle.

The best market is opposite the Beijing zoo, its huge you wont miss it. I have found brand new apc's with tags there selling for around 250RMB ($35) and they are in the market just because the tag has a tear in it, so it cant be sold in the apc store.

If you want japanese denim go to Dong Si, there are 2 shops there one is called 'king of denim' and the other 'PUR' both sell lots of jap denim, red wing boots, red moon wallets.

Take the subway not the bus. They ram you into the buses like cattle, you wont enjoy it.

Be prepared to get stared at like fucking crazy. It's as if they think we are aliens.

Watch where you step, the chinese really like to spit.

Another good place to shop is Xidan. A huge new mall just opened, the shops arent that great, but some good restaurants. Opposite the mall is a good market it has like 10 floors, lots of shit but you can find some good stuff, you just gotta look around.

The electronic market is insane, definately check it out, but go with a chinese.

Just send me a message if you want any info when you're here.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 3 months later...

Just got back to the states. was in beijing for 4 months

I got a couple of suits tailored at the silk market, not the greatest but at 50 euros a pop, can't really go wrong.

Best market IMO is the Wudaokou Shi Chang close to Beijing U and BLCU

For drinks, I recommend Lan Club and the Park Hyatt as well as 1949: The Forbidden City

For clubs, definitely hit up Bloc 8, Suzie Wongs, GT Banana (saw Armin when I was there), White Rabbit, China Doll, Angel (saw Dj Shadow)

• 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...

Flying into Beijing August 13, then flying out after 10 days. Is 10 days in Beijing more than enough?

Think it would be worth it to cut out to Shanghai and Hangzhou for a couple days? I'm from Seattle, so pretty lakes and tall buildings aren't a must-see.

Is West Lake in Hangzhou itself worth the round trip, 9 hour train ride there? Superthoughts, as always, are appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I did a search for a while and while I found some info on this topic,Beijing changes so much and so quickly that a thread from two years ago is completely irrelevant now.

So I'm going to be living in Beijing for the next year or so and I want ot check out some really high end clubs to try live it up beijing style. I know about the gongren tiyuchang bars (vics,mix,latte) and the sanlituanr and nanjie stuff. I'm looking for the places where the true high rollers go , but I am also open to any places you guys have gone in BJ that your truly enjoyed.

Let's make this thread a comprehensive guide to going out in Beijing. These can be anything from great latenight places to eat, KTV,chill lounges, bars, clubs--basically ANYTHING nightlife in the great city of Beijing.

My favorites so far are

Latte (gongti)

Kai Bar (sanlituanr)

Lush (Wudaokou)

Ghost Street (GuaiJie) <- for late night eats

• 1 month later...