Cheaper versions of typically expensive items

okonomi

• 2 weeks later...

I feel like a lot of people miss the point when they observe luxury goods.

For example...

Common Projects Rec Shoe $380

1460943.jpg?1342558301

Vans Ludlow Decon $80

IMG_7482_1200.jpg?phpMyAdmin=mrYHtRGHSWTz19tVqWIbLL2xo73&phpMyAdmin=26cc4f951728t3106ca1a

A lot of CP's design philosophy is to produce otherwise 'simple' and 'timeless' pieces using higher quality materials and improved workmanship so as to produce a more satisfying product. Keeping this in mind the price can be justified but ofc. how each person perceives 'worth' is probably signifcantly different to how the next person may perceive it.

Hence; deriving the source of Common Project's inspiration and indulging in that instead sort of destroies the point (in my opinion) but ofc. again everyone have their own opinion on 'worth'.

This can't be said for all 'luxury' labels or designers but is certainly something to keep in mind when handling or speculating similar goods.

• 1 month later...

just bought a pair of black fingerless gloves, but i kind of want a (melange) grey pair now. would equally consider an arm warmer. doesn't need to be THAT cheap - i'd like something that will hold up well. i just don't want to pay a fuckton for something so simple.

something like these n(n):

NUMBER_N_INE_HALF_FINGERED_WOOL_GLOVES_FRONT.jpg

or these daniel andresen:

bb0jPLb5A84f3c6Uv2.JPG

common projects vs converse

am i going too far?

yeah you are. But these 185$ sneakers by Erik Shedin are pretty close. I actually prefer them to CPs, the silhouette isn't quite as flat and the design is more minimal.

skor_654x654.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks Eloq!

Lad Musician lace up boots, roughly $600:

tdusU.png

Dr Martens Drury, $120 USD

14327001.png

These lasts are so similar that I think the former must have been inspired by the latter. Obviously the Docs lack the creeper sole but you could easily have them re-soled and still be paying around a third of the price.

Docs available here, although currently mostly out of stock. Pop over to the UK site for more sizes (although the price is higher there):

http://store.drmarte...drury-boot.aspx

Awesome find

• 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

That is, until you buy a pair of their dressier chukkas and the suede builds up holes in 3 different places within 5 wears of regular light walking with no abrasion contact whatsoever. I don't think i will be supporting CP anymore, buttero makes better looking sneakers with better construction and materials. Dress shoes from them definitely never again.

I feel like a lot of people miss the point when they observe luxury goods.

For example...

A lot of CP's design philosophy is to produce otherwise 'simple' and 'timeless' pieces using higher quality materials and improved workmanship so as to produce a more satisfying product. Keeping this in mind the price can be justified but ofc. how each person perceives 'worth' is probably signifcantly different to how the next person may perceive it.
Hence; deriving the source of Common Project's inspiration and indulging in that instead sort of destroies the point (in my opinion) but ofc. again everyone have their own opinion on 'worth'.

This can't be said for all 'luxury' labels or designers but is certainly something to keep in mind when handling or speculating similar goods.

Edited by Egpt

i got a pair of cp chukkas on the cheap not the dressy ones though, the ones with the standard cp sneaker sole.  the suede is really soft and thin.  i've worn them a decent bit without any noticeable wear developing but i could see them being flimsier than expectation and maybe even brands much cheaper.

lanvins and some raf also on cp sole that i know of.  i'm sure many more as well.

also for the lad tee you could try american apparel loose crew summer crewneck.  but they fit longer and thinner than lad tees.  lad tees fit more cropped in my experience unless you a tiny japanese person.

acne tees are dope too but that's like paying the same price as lad only without proxy hassle.

Edited by Sean9

Fuck it, still not giving up. Another example on the dress shoes end is Meermin. I'm sure many here have seen them elsewhere but they're worth mentioning for those who haven't. These guys do handmade in Italy leather shoes for 150euros (including 20% VAT). The most important thing is that they look beautiful. Nobody else I've seen makes shoes this good for that price.

I'm not willing to fork out on a pair of Church's or less yet John Lobbs only to wear to a job interview and wedding once each per year, but every other cheaper option feels like an aesthetic compromise. Naturally aesthetic quality increases proportionately with quality of construction, but it still doesn't make sense that only extremely expensive brands are making tasteful, proper dress shoes. Once again, these aren't fashion shoes: no biting here. Meermin is just the perfect solution for those who want tasteful dress shoes without spending 1000 pounds.

66_big.jpg

8_big.jpg

Need sizing advice on these from anyone who's bought a pair... I'm looking at getting the longwings (http://www.meermin.es/ficha_articulo.php?id=2342). I usually wear 8D US for dress shoes, should I get a size 6.5 UK or 7 UK? The width on these is EE.

Shipping costs the same for 1 or 2 pairs, fffuu I'm tempted to buy 2

For long tees with quite nice fit and drape that are dirt cheap, you just cant beat the AA summer shirt
And for those who wanted creepers, check out the nearest COS-store and see if they have any left in the sales-section, they had a really nice-looking pair when I visited some weeks ago for cheap, not as thick sole as the damirs but solid shape and material

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

muji labo has a pocket sweater similar to patrick ervell's. i bought one a couple months ago for ~$85 and thought it was a decent deal. they are on sale now for $45ish so i bought a couple more. they are wool/cashmere. a bit thin but very soft. i bought large which is like a slim eu50.

4548076555896_400.jpg